or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 893

post #13381 of 21003
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post


1 Million, to me at least, is really a young person's scent. (It's like Le Male that way.) It's big and loud and sweet and spicy and unsubtle. If you're planning to wear it to work or to any kind of environment where you need to maintain some standard of formality, then I don't think this is the scent for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for something to wear more informally and that will probably be popular with the ladies, then I think 1 Million is a good choice. Although another thing to consider is that 1 Million is very popular, so you're going to smell like lots of other people. Not sure how important a consideration that is for you.
Pre-shower: Dana Tabu. Reached into my box of scents I never wear again and fished this one out. It's an old-fashioned amber with a strong animalic, civety dimension.
SOTD: L'Artisan Al Oudh.

Thanks for the info. Right now I use L Homme Cologne by Yves Saint Lauren. And have used it for a long time now. It's not that strang a pretty simple one that's why i'm looking for something stronger but smooth at the same time that won't kill everyone around me.

 

Any other options then 1 million?

post #13382 of 21003
Here are some scents that, in my opinion at least, satisfy the following criteria: they are smooth, have better projection and longevity that YSL L'Homme but aren't too strong, are warm and spicy (since I'm guessing you like that vibe from 1 Million), and are a bit more formal or "classy" than 1 Million.

1. Rocabar by Hermes. Warm and spicy, like the smell of vanilla floating through a coniferous forest. There's a striking note at the top that I experience as somewhat like dill, but that others describe as like melon. Very pleasant scent.

2. Chergui by Serge Lutens. This one's more expensive. It's quite sweet and balmy, with tobacco and honey notes. It's a little too sweet for my own taste, but if you like 1 Million, then I think there's a chance you'd like this.

3. Moss Breches by Tom Ford. This is discontinued, but you can still find it if you're persistent. Again, sweet and spicy, with more emphasis on the spicy than the Rocabar and Chergui. This is among my favorites.

I'm sure there are lots of others that I'm not thinking of right now too, but those three jumped to mind immediately.

EDIT: Also Back to Black, which was my SOTD for yesterday. Sweet honey and tobacco scent.
post #13383 of 21003

Thanks a lot man, will def try them out and see how they smell so I can compare. Number 1 sounds pretty good. But can't tell from reading only.

 

You sure know a lot about perfume, now I know who to pm on this forum for next time icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Here are some scents that, in my opinion at least, satisfy the following criteria: they are smooth, have better projection and longevity that YSL L'Homme but aren't too strong, are warm and spicy (since I'm guessing you like that vibe from 1 Million), and are a bit more formal or "classy" than 1 Million.
1. Rocabar by Hermes. Warm and spicy, like the smell of vanilla floating through a coniferous forest. There's a striking note at the top that I experience as somewhat like dill, but that others describe as like melon. Very pleasant scent.
2. Chergui by Serge Lutens. This one's more expensive. It's quite sweet and balmy, with tobacco and honey notes. It's a little too sweet for my own taste, but if you like 1 Million, then I think there's a chance you'd like this.
3. Moss Breches by Tom Ford. This is discontinued, but you can still find it if you're persistent. Again, sweet and spicy, with more emphasis on the spicy than the Rocabar and Chergui. This is among my favorites.
I'm sure there are lots of others that I'm not thinking of right now too, but those three jumped to mind immediately.
EDIT: Also Back to Black, which was my SOTD for yesterday. Sweet honey and tobacco scent.
post #13384 of 21003
If you want something sweet and smooth, and very unique, classy, high quality, and also very easy find and cheap and despite all that something you're unlikely to smell on other people very often, try Caron The 3rd Man.
post #13385 of 21003
Serge Lutens L'eau today. Prefer the L'eau Froide version to this.
post #13386 of 21003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

If you want something sweet and smooth, and very unique, classy, high quality, and also very easy find and cheap and despite all that something you're unlikely to smell on other people very often, try Caron The 3rd Man.

Never heard of this before, easy to find in stores? 

post #13387 of 21003
^^^
It's very easy to find online. I don't know about stores but maybe someone else knows what department stores carry Caron men's scents.
post #13388 of 21003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

^^^
It's very easy to find online. I don't know about stores but maybe someone else knows what department stores carry Caron men's scents.

Well I don't like to buy online before smelling it in the store. And often I buy straight from the store never online if it's not something I know already.

post #13389 of 21003
SOTD: Canali Style. As I walk through a deserted pre-hurricane city.
post #13390 of 21003
AbdesSalaam attar Profum Gringo today.
post #13391 of 21003
Two days of vintage Vol de Nuit. (Does anyone else get Jicket-y vanilla civet in the opening and then a l'Heure Bleu/Mitsouko almond-y note? My wife says she doesn't get the almond in any of those, so I'm wondering if I'm just off..) I really, really like this stuff...

Thanks to the suggestions of L'Inc and others, I finally broke down and bought a FB of Knize Ten yesterday, and wore it today. It seemed appropriate for a windy fall day in NYC (and a trip to the new FDR Four Freedoms Park on Roosevelt Island...)—sweet, leathery, machine oil.

I'm still looking for that perfect leather fragrance, so I ordered a decant of Kolnisch Juchten, as well as vintage Tabac Blond. (I hope I don't like the Tabac Blond—I can't afford a habit like that!) I also sniffed Bel-Ami again at the Hermes counter at B'dales yesterday, hoping that it would have the leather that I want. While I did like it, I didn't get a whole lot of leather...
post #13392 of 21003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post

Two days of vintage Vol de Nuit. (Does anyone else get Jicket-y vanilla civet in the opening and then a l'Heure Bleu/Mitsouko almond-y note? My wife says she doesn't get the almond in any of those, so I'm wondering if I'm just off..) I really, really like this stuff...

Thanks to the suggestions of L'Inc and others, I finally broke down and bought a FB of Knize Ten yesterday, and wore it today. It seemed appropriate for a windy fall day in NYC (and a trip to the new FDR Four Freedoms Park on Roosevelt Island...)—sweet, leathery, machine oil.

I'm still looking for that perfect leather fragrance, so I ordered a decant of Kolnisch Juchten, as well as vintage Tabac Blond. (I hope I don't like the Tabac Blond—I can't afford a habit like that!) I also sniffed Bel-Ami again at the Hermes counter at B'dales yesterday, hoping that it would have the leather that I want. While I did like it, I didn't get a whole lot of leather...

I don't know about the dirty civet from Vol de Nuit, but it's been moved up in my To-Be-Purchased Queue.

A few other leathers to investigate is Chanel Cuir de Russie and Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie. I also think Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque is excellent but very similar to Knize Ten.

I think Kolnisch Juchten is a masterpiece of leather compositions and look forward to hearing your take on it, but make sure you give it several wearings before form one.
post #13393 of 21003
+1 to everything HORNS said about Kolnisch Juchten.

I switched into Poivre Samarcande for the evening. I'd probably wear this more often as my SOTD if the longevity were better. This is definitely an Ellena scent.

@Maquis: If you're anything like me, you won't have to worry about spending your hard-earned money on Tabac Blond. I genuinely have a hard time understanding how anyone could really enjoy it. And this from a person who likes to wear Secretions Magnifiques and M/Mink.
post #13394 of 21003
Mitsouko EDP today. Have a meeting with the company's CFO (whom i can't stand) tomorrow. I want to stink. Will be one of MKK,Cuir Mauresque or Oud Cuir D'arabie (thanks for bringing it to mind Horns)
post #13395 of 21003
Today: L'Artisan Al Oudh, from a sample I've had forever and been using it every once in a while. The oud is accentuated by a strong tobacco note.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread