or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 882

post #13216 of 19836
Yesterday: Guerlain Vetiver
Today: Satori Iris Homme
post #13217 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Apres l'Ondee again today. I'm struck by a similarity to the floral component of Knize Ten, though I may be misremembering. I think I've used up my decant of Ten so I won't be able to really compare until I get a new bottle.

Welcome to my world! As years and too many scents come and go, this starts to happen. In my case, it's less misremembering the actual scent than mistaking it for the overall impression I had at the time. So, sometimes I'll compare something to something else, then realizing I'm making it based only on that i liked/disliked them similarly, but with NO recollection that their notes may be similar. It's not exactly the same thing (for example, I recollect that I had a similar reaction to the old Versace Versus L'uomo that I did to MPG Parfum D'habit... even though I don't think they have much in common note-wise). lol8[1].gif

It's cool and sunny this morning, so I thinking I will inaugurate the season with some very big, very loud Chanel coco. I plan less to turn heads than to send small children screaming.
post #13218 of 19836

I like Davidoff Cool Water.  What similar scents might I like?

 

Just like to change every once in a while...

 

Cheers,

post #13219 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossoz View Post

I like Davidoff Cool Water.  What similar scents might I like?

Just like to change every once in a while...

Cheers,

I'm going to give you three categories of answer:

1. Scents that smell very similar to Cool Water: Green Irish Tweed and Chez Bond. Whenever you mention Cool Water to fragrance aficionados, you can be sure that these two will be mentioned. They're more expensive versions of Cool Water. They're very good, but my honest opinion is that if you've got a small collection, there's no good reason to have both Cool Water and either of these. But you might be interested to test them and see what you think.

2. Scents in the same general category. Here I'd suggest Acqua di Gio, L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme, and Bulgari Aqua pour Homme. These are fresh aquatics. They don't smell just like Cool Water, but they've got the same general vibe. The downside of these is that they are all very popular, so you will smell like other people. (Of course that's true with Cool Water too.) The upside is that they're available at any major retailer like Macy's, etc.

3. Scents a little further from Cool Water, but that might interest you.
a. Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9. It's very expensive, but it's good. It opens very green and bracing, but with a bit of floral and fruity sweetness. There's also a watery vibe that runs throughout the development of the fragrance. (That's the resemblance to Cool Water.)
b. Kiton Men. It's not an aquatic, but it's bright, fresh and citrusy with floral sweetness. Quite masculine, but not in an old-fashioned way. Some say it's similar to Green Irish Tweed, which is similar to Cool Water.
c. Ocean Rain. This is more of a reach, honestly. It's very aquatic, but it's a lot of other things as well. In other words, it's quite complex. (It's the last perfume from Edmond Roudnitska, who is one of the greatest perfumers in history.) It's herbal green, leathery, and it also has a strong melon note. It's definitely not to everyone's taste. (Full disclosure: I would never have even thought of this if it weren't for rach, our resident Roudnitska admirer.)
post #13220 of 19836
I switched into TF Purple Patchouli for the evening. It's amazing how much more brash and Tom Ford-ish the original PBs were than the ones beginning with Azure Lime.
post #13221 of 19836
SOTD: Lanvin by Lanvin. Love it...
post #13222 of 19836
Wearing recent (from the mid 2000's) post-reformulation Chanel 19 parfum this afternoon. Wow, am surprised. It's still good... don't get me wrong... but it's much lighter, friendlier, and less SHARP than the old. Less galbanum, less of the leather, more of the woody green. To be honest, if I had only access to the new stuff, I'd just get the EdT and be done with it. I don't see enough difference to warrant the difference in price (Chanel wants $105 for 7.5ml of parfum).

If I didn't have a milkjug full of the old stuff, I'd be more upset than I am (haha). But, still, definitely get the old juice if you can. Even better if it is (well-kept) pre-Iranian revolution galbanum juice. That shit will strip the paint off a coffee table. smile.gif
post #13223 of 19836
Today, a new bottle of Chanel Egoiste. Quite good, but I understand how it can get lost in the shuffle.
post #13224 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Wearing recent (from the mid 2000's) post-reformulation Chanel 19 parfum this afternoon. Wow, am surprised. It's still good... don't get me wrong... but it's much lighter, friendlier, and less SHARP than the old. Less galbanum, less of the leather, more of the woody green. To be honest, if I had only access to the new stuff, I'd just get the EdT and be done with it. I don't see enough difference to warrant the difference in price (Chanel wants $105 for 7.5ml of parfum).

If I didn't have a milkjug full of the old stuff, I'd be more upset than I am (haha). But, still, definitely get the old juice if you can. Even better if it is (well-kept) pre-Iranian revolution galbanum juice. That shit will strip the paint off a coffee table. smile.gif

rach, can you recommend any other galbanum-heavy scents so I can appreciate the common thread between them? Also, it's good to hear your opinion on the current No 19 EdT. What do you think of the current EdP again?
post #13225 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

rach, can you recommend any other galbanum-heavy scents so I can appreciate the common thread between them? Also, it's good to hear your opinion on the current No 19 EdT. What do you think of the current EdP again?

I have almost no opinion of the EdP, as IIRC it's one of those Chanel EdPs (N5, Cristalle) that are a "reinterpretation" of the original. I remember sniffing it and going "huh?" But, IIRC it's friendlier and more floral, but I can't really say. I also didn't try the Poudre flanker...

As for other scents, galbanum in large doses would give a green, resinous sort of vibe... not dry, but sort of oily in character. The old stinker Bandit EdT and Balmain Vent Vert come to mind.
Edit; doing a search, apparently Chamade also had galbanum, but I don't get that much of it (like n19). I wonder if Coriolan de Guerlain had it? It has that sort of dark, earthy character with an oily sharpness to it.
post #13226 of 19836
34 Boulevard Saint Germain.
post #13227 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

rach, can you recommend any other galbanum-heavy scents so I can appreciate the common thread between them? Also, it's good to hear your opinion on the current No 19 EdT. What do you think of the current EdP again?

I have almost no opinion of the EdP, as IIRC it's one of those Chanel EdPs (N5, Cristalle) that are a "reinterpretation" of the original. I remember sniffing it and going "huh?" But, IIRC it's friendlier and more floral, but I can't really say. I also didn't try the Poudre flanker...

As for other scents, galbanum in large doses would give a green, resinous sort of vibe... not dry, but sort of oily in character. The old stinker Bandit EdT and Balmain Vent Vert come to mind.
Edit; doing a search, apparently Chamade also had galbanum, but I don't get that much of it (like n19). I wonder if Coriolan de Guerlain had it? It has that sort of dark, earthy character with an oily sharpness to it.

Thank you.
post #13228 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

34 Boulevard Saint Germain.

What's your impression today of this?

For me today: Kolnisch Juchten

I went into work today and when I got home I sprayed on Knize Ten because the house smells of paint.
post #13229 of 19836
Applied a good amount of Purple Patchouli today.

(I'm looking forward to trying the new TF fragrances and at the same time fear to be disappointed)
post #13230 of 19836
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post


I'm going to give you three categories of answer:
1. Scents that smell very similar to Cool Water: Green Irish Tweed and Chez Bond. Whenever you mention Cool Water to fragrance aficionados, you can be sure that these two will be mentioned. They're more expensive versions of Cool Water. They're very good, but my honest opinion is that if you've got a small collection, there's no good reason to have both Cool Water and either of these. But you might be interested to test them and see what you think.
2. Scents in the same general category. Here I'd suggest Acqua di Gio, L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme, and Bulgari Aqua pour Homme. These are fresh aquatics. They don't smell just like Cool Water, but they've got the same general vibe. The downside of these is that they are all very popular, so you will smell like other people. (Of course that's true with Cool Water too.) The upside is that they're available at any major retailer like Macy's, etc.
3. Scents a little further from Cool Water, but that might interest you.
a. Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9. It's very expensive, but it's good. It opens very green and bracing, but with a bit of floral and fruity sweetness. There's also a watery vibe that runs throughout the development of the fragrance. (That's the resemblance to Cool Water.)
b. Kiton Men. It's not an aquatic, but it's bright, fresh and citrusy with floral sweetness. Quite masculine, but not in an old-fashioned way. Some say it's similar to Green Irish Tweed, which is similar to Cool Water.
c. Ocean Rain. This is more of a reach, honestly. It's very aquatic, but it's a lot of other things as well. In other words, it's quite complex. (It's the last perfume from Edmond Roudnitska, who is one of the greatest perfumers in history.) It's herbal green, leathery, and it also has a strong melon note. It's definitely not to everyone's taste. (Full disclosure: I would never have even thought of this if it weren't for rach, our resident Roudnitska admirer.)

Great response.  Thank you.

 

To bring me up to date, how does this forum generally describe Cool Water?  I just think it has a clean fragrance.

 

Cheers,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread