or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 869

post #13021 of 21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Dzing - cage where elephants have taken a shit
Nostalgia - truck used to pull the cage full of elephant shit into town.

Nice description. Parfums d'empire Cuir d'ottoman: leather jacket worn by mechanic who fixes the truck used to pull the cage full of elephant shit. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmin209 View Post

Caron Eau de Reglisse today

As usual from you, a good choice. Haven't seen anybody wear this one for a long time. Where do you rank it in the pantheon of liquorice scents? (and did you ever have the old Yohji homme?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

^ so, how did Mrs. HORNS deal with this?

The reason he hasn't yet responded is he can't get internet to work at the roadside motel where he's been forced to spend the night... alone.


Magie noire from last night hasn't worn off, so I might as well reapply and be Stevie Nicks meets Marlene Dietrich for one more day.
post #13022 of 21234

CDG Wonderwood.

 

Smells like a little store in caracas that sells boxes made from rare and extoic woods.

post #13023 of 21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Speaking of Oud, I also remember now that I tried the Le Labo oud. I don't really like most of their stuff, but that one was pretty nice. Very oudy.

I've said this before, but when I first smelled that, I thought I must have gotten a bad batch or something; I couldn't believe they intended it to smell like that. (Soaked wool + brewery) It took me a while to warm up to it.

Did you get the chance to try Cafe Rose?

I switched into Love and Tears, which I think is probably my favorite jasmine scent.
post #13024 of 21234
Never found Cafe Rose. It was probably at Neimans but I ran out of time, was meeting friend for dinner.

Wore Eau du Coq today again. It has the typical EDC staying power, but that civet note is something else. In a lot of scents, too much civet is a deal breaker (Jicky edp!) but it's really a perfect addition to a light summer scent like this. Much like a touch of armpit note is perfect for a warm weather scent in Eau d'Hermes and Declaration and Cologne Bigarade.
post #13025 of 21234
Habit Rouge today—the powdery orange blossom was surprisingly beautiful with the crisp fall weather!

I'm still looking for the perfect leather scent, or I would've probably worn one today.

Cuir de Russie parfum is a little floral for me, and the current Knize Ten doesn't seem to have the kick of a vintage decant I once had (and I don't really want to pay a bazillion dollars for a vintage bottle on ebay). Patchouli 24 is close but it's just *this much* too far into the tarry phenolic thing; like standing all day in front of a wood fire...

Any suggestions? smile.gif
post #13026 of 21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post

Habit Rouge today—the powdery orange blossom was surprisingly beautiful with the crisp fall weather!
I'm still looking for the perfect leather scent, or I would've probably worn one today.
Cuir de Russie parfum is a little floral for me, and the current Knize Ten doesn't seem to have the kick of a vintage decant I once had (and I don't really want to pay a bazillion dollars for a vintage bottle on ebay). Patchouli 24 is close but it's just *this much* too far into the tarry phenolic thing; like standing all day in front of a wood fire...
Any suggestions? smile.gif

There are others in this thread who appreciate and know more about leathers than I do. That said, my favorites in the genre are ELDO Rien, Creed Royal English Leather, TF Tuscan Leather, and Hermes Bel Ami. My sense is that the most wearable, least offensive of these are the TF and the Creed. Bel Ami is very big and loud, and Rien is extremely bitter.

Kolnisch Juchten is also a lot of fun to wear; I didn't mention it above just because it's very rare.
post #13027 of 21234
L'inc, did you ever try TDC Jasmin de nuit?

Baron, you're enticing me to find eau du coq. I remember we talked before about what a unique chameleon note civet can be. Paired with crisper/lighter notes, it creates the "armpit stink" or "piss" vibe (Rose Poivree, Eau d'hermes, Kouros, etc). Paired with vanilla, patchouli, santal, or "darker" heavy or woody notes, and it turns into it baby shit (jicky, Miss Dior ((parfum)), old Must de Cartier, bois de santal, etc.) That's perhaps what makes it such a unique note; it goes in many different directions...

This afternoon I wore the last bits of an old bottle of Balenciaga Le Dix (EdT): if you love aldehydic florals, then you should have it and sample it. If you aren't a big fan, it's not so shockingly different from L'interdit, L'arpege, no. 5, etc.
post #13028 of 21234
^^ No, I haven't tried that. But I've heard all good things.

Taste of Heaven for me today. Don't know why I felt like wearing this, as it's not normally one of my favorites. I do like it, though.
post #13029 of 21234
Hermès - Hiris. Quite straightforward, but I like it. Reminds me a little of En Passant (also by Giacobetti), which is far superior and much more complex though. Edit: En Passant focuses on lilac. Whatever, they seem to have a similar general idea (which seems logical given that they're both from the same parfumeur).

Also applieed some Hugo - Dark Blue. This is my first fragrance (present) and even though I'm not sure why, I kinda like it. Smells completely synthetical but it pulls some trigger. Wouldn't wear it outside though. Nor too often (it's still pretty much full and I've owned it for 4+ years). Don't remember the last time I used it, has to be over a year.
post #13030 of 21234
We have a beautiful and sunny autumn day in Germany today, so I decided to wear L'Artisan Parfumeur: Méchant Loup. Hazelnut and licorice notes, warm and very pleasant. Fits this day wonderfully.
post #13031 of 21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

L'inc, did you ever try TDC Jasmin de nuit?
Baron, you're enticing me to find eau du coq. I remember we talked before about what a unique chameleon note civet can be. Paired with crisper/lighter notes, it creates the "armpit stink" or "piss" vibe (Rose Poivree, Eau d'hermes, Kouros, etc). Paired with vanilla, patchouli, santal, or "darker" heavy or woody notes, and it turns into it baby shit (jicky, Miss Dior ((parfum)), old Must de Cartier, bois de santal, etc.) That's perhaps what makes it such a unique note; it goes in many different directions...
This afternoon I wore the last bits of an old bottle of Balenciaga Le Dix (EdT): if you love aldehydic florals, then you should have it and sample it. If you aren't a big fan, it's not so shockingly different from L'interdit, L'arpege, no. 5, etc.

I was playing around with Eau du Coq last night and comparing it to stuff like Eau Sauvage and Eau de Guerlain. I found that, as a whole, Eau du Coq had really terrible lasting power compared to those other citrus scents. It goes on very interesting, then all there is left on my hand after 5 minutes is a straight light civet note. I think it might work better as a layering scent because it really doesn't last at all. Eau de Guerlain actually has a presence for several hours - next time I'm going to try them together.
post #13032 of 21234
Today: L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer.
post #13033 of 21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

I was playing around with Eau du Coq last night and comparing it to stuff like Eau Sauvage and Eau de Guerlain. I found that, as a whole, Eau du Coq had really terrible lasting power compared to those other citrus scents. It goes on very interesting, then all there is left on my hand after 5 minutes is a straight light civet note. I think it might work better as a layering scent because it really doesn't last at all. Eau de Guerlain actually has a presence for several hours - next time I'm going to try them together.

I'll be interested to compare it to the Japanese scent Eroica I mentioned a few pages back. Found it for a song, it's made by Kanebo and was a surprisingly weird Japanese scent from the 1970's. Sounds something like what you're mentioning, and also has a surprising dose of funky civet... and given that most of those old Japanese scents were copied from something else at the time, I'd not be surprised if it's DNA is carried over from the Guerlain.

Anyway, here's hoping that what the Coq lacks in length it makes up for in girth.
post #13034 of 21234
post #13035 of 21234

Knize 10 was great for today. Will hit it again tomorrow or L'AP Navigateur if similar weather and mood.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread