or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 816

post #12226 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tps16 View Post

Thanks, guys! Will definitely check out some of these when I see them. I've smelled the Guerlian EDC Imperiale, which I liked. Seemed to have no lasting power on me though. I'll try it again the next time I see it.
Today, Chanel No. 19 edt

I'll agree with all except the Guerlain. It's fine and all, but yes, fleeting, and yes, a classic cologne. There are many like it on the market. If you're on the market for a classic EdC, try PdN Cologne Sologne. Diorella or Eau sauvage might also be decent choices. i could see a fan of YSL Live Jazz or Jazz being a fan of these as well. The original Azzaro, too, as a classic fougere.

Other "conservative" scents:

Classic: Chanel PM
Tiffany for men, Bois du portugal, Equipage, JHL, SMN Colonia russa, CdG cologne series (especially vetiveru and citrico). There are tons more, but these are just a few.

Sitting around the house this evening with a decent Malbec... so will spritz on Moustache de Rochas. NOT one for the faint of heart... a Roudnitska masterpiece with lime, hay, and horse piss.
post #12227 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

I was worried about that as well. It did smell nice, woodsy/pine is how I would describe is, but it's close to 500 USD for 1.7 oz and I can not justify that. Maybe if I find it on a discount site I will try it. Maybe it would be better to wear it during the fall?
(...)

I had three different responses at the ready for this but none of them really felt compelling enough to post, until I finally had an epiphany. Over the years, I've been a member of a number of scent boards and groups, and not one of these groups has ever had anything nice to say about any Clive Christian. Not one. No one wears anything of his, they're frequently ignored by the reviewers and bloggers (Although, Nathan Branch had some kind words for No.1), which leads me to believe that CC just isn't taken seriously by people who are serious about scents.

If you think this is just because the price is too high, these groups have very kind words for Xerjoff and Amouage - particularly the attars, which are considerably more expensive than the CC. (12 ml - $355). And, I've seen them run even more expensive, I think their oud attar was marked 1200 euro for 12ml. Granted, it's a perfume oil, but still.

I'd take the $500 and head to Kuhl-Linscomb and grab SL Chergui and find two more you like and run with that.

...

Anyway, today I had another awful epiphany: I have only about 60% left of my first Antaeus bottle. But I loves it so I sprayed it on today, no regrets!
post #12228 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

I've been a member of a number of scent boards and groups, and not one of these groups has ever had anything nice to say about any Clive Christian. Not one. No one wears anything of his, they're frequently ignored by the reviewers and bloggers.

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't noticed that, but it's definitely true.

Safran Troublant for me today.
post #12229 of 20738
Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
post #12230 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't noticed that, but it's definitely true.
(...)

And, another thing that caught my attention when I thought about it re: Clive Christian. Pretty much any house you can think of has its raving fans. ELdO, Mona, Amouage, Nasomatto, Lush, etc. Some of these houses have been controversial, and savaged on-line or in print. Luca savaged Mona a while back in his guide, and it was probably a huge boost for her as the blogosphere came to her defense. Luca briefly ridicules CC No.1 for being "most expensive" and gives us a quick lesson on perfume costs - and we hear...crickets. I mean, no one cares enough to step up and challenge Luca, which for a time was a big pastime for some with a lot of time on their hands. There was a ton of jealousy and back-chat aimed at him but not on old Clive's behalf. Hell, Crown Perfumery (the precursor of Clive Christian) was likewise given a rousing mneh before that.

/soapbox.
post #12231 of 20738
^^ Again, that's a great observation!
post #12232 of 20738
Day: D.R. Harris - Arlington. Great straightforward cologne.
Night: Caron - Tabac Blond éxtrait. Great stuff.

T, do you have a link for the blog post of Turin about CC's No. 1? I googled a little but didn't find much.
post #12233 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Day: D.R. Harris - Arlington. Great straightforward cologne.
Night: Caron - Tabac Blond éxtrait. Great stuff.
T, do you have a link for the blog post of Turin about CC's No. 1? I googled a little but didn't find much.

T is referring to Turin's review in Perfumes: The Guide.
post #12234 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

I was worried about that as well. It did smell nice, woodsy/pine is how I would describe is, but it's close to 500 USD for 1.7 oz and I can not justify that. Maybe if I find it on a discount site I will try it. Maybe it would be better to wear it during the fall?
(...)

I had three different responses at the ready for this but none of them really felt compelling enough to post, until I finally had an epiphany. Over the years, I've been a member of a number of scent boards and groups, and not one of these groups has ever had anything nice to say about any Clive Christian. Not one. No one wears anything of his, they're frequently ignored by the reviewers and bloggers (Although, Nathan Branch had some kind words for No.1), which leads me to believe that CC just isn't taken seriously by people who are serious about scents.

If you think this is just because the price is too high, these groups have very kind words for Xerjoff and Amouage - particularly the attars, which are considerably more expensive than the CC. (12 ml - $355). And, I've seen them run even more expensive, I think their oud attar was marked 1200 euro for 12ml. Granted, it's a perfume oil, but still.

I'd take the $500 and head to Kuhl-Linscomb and grab SL Chergui and find two more you like and run with that.

...

Anyway, today I had another awful epiphany: I have only about 60% left of my first Antaeus bottle. But I loves it so I sprayed it on today, no regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't noticed that, but it's definitely true.
(...)

And, another thing that caught my attention when I thought about it re: Clive Christian. Pretty much any house you can think of has its raving fans. ELdO, Mona, Amouage, Nasomatto, Lush, etc. Some of these houses have been controversial, and savaged on-line or in print. Luca savaged Mona a while back in his guide, and it was probably a huge boost for her as the blogosphere came to her defense. Luca briefly ridicules CC No.1 for being "most expensive" and gives us a quick lesson on perfume costs - and we hear...crickets. I mean, no one cares enough to step up and challenge Luca, which for a time was a big pastime for some with a lot of time on their hands. There was a ton of jealousy and back-chat aimed at him but not on old Clive's behalf. Hell, Crown Perfumery (the precursor of Clive Christian) was likewise given a rousing mneh before that.

/soapbox.

dang T, your responses to my questions make me feel dumb. Thanks for ruining my day frown.gif
post #12235 of 20738
^T knows his stink, no doubt about it.

I'll spritz one in his honor with some (vintage) Antaeus. Yum.
post #12236 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

dang T, your responses to my questions make me feel dumb. Thanks for ruining my day frown.gif

That wasn't my intention at all. CC is so badly ignored that a quick google search wouldn't yield much in terms of discerning reviews.

Even leaving that aside, do you really think it's worth it to spend $500 for 50ml to smell 'nice' or 'okay'? I will say, just for perspective, that I am price-conscious and somewhat budget-minded w/r/t scents. I like smelling great and appreciate the artistry in composing scents - and even value them as an art form - but I still hold them to fiscal constraints.
post #12237 of 20738
So, since it's 3:30 and the baby won't sleep...
Quote:
No.1 for Women: This one is billed as the World's Most Expensive Perfume, but that's a cheat: the bottle is studded with a real diamond. One ounce of this stuff goes for $2,350 at the time of writing. A simple calculation reveals how relatively inexpensive a real WMEP would be: (1) Compose it entirely of iris butter for Florence ($30,000 per kilogram). (2) Dilute it 1:5 in alcohol and tell the distiller to keep the change. (3) Sell it by the ounce at a five-fold markup. Result: roughly $750 a pop. Price aside, what's No. 1 like? A nice woody-floral in the manner of Amouage Gold but vastly less grand.
post #12238 of 20738
Thank you, T. I think I'll go with Amouage Gold Man today. wink.gif
post #12239 of 20738
Jasmin et Cigarette for a long travel day.
post #12240 of 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

dang T, your responses to my questions make me feel dumb. Thanks for ruining my day frown.gif

That wasn't my intention at all. CC is so badly ignored that a quick google search wouldn't yield much in terms of discerning reviews.

Even leaving that aside, do you really think it's worth it to spend $500 for 50ml to smell 'nice' or 'okay'?

I know T I was just playing, that was my way of complimenting you. smile.gif

No I do not think it's worth $500, I would not buy it. I was curious to see if anyone on the forum had it or was a supporter of the fragrance.

I think it's sad that very few sales reps actually care about what they are selling and are focused only on selling.

Sorry to hear that your baby didn't go to sleep t, hopefully tonight is better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread