or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 9

post #121 of 21227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Today I am sporting a sample of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It's a pleasant, slightly dry lemony-powdery old-school scent, in the vein of Eau Sauvage, except a bit softer and less astringent than ES. Pleasant, but not bottle-worthy, especially since most of the time I like my scents to have more of a kick-in-the-giblets quality. This is well-suited for the end-of-year company holiday party, as long as you're not the sort to tie mistletoe to your back belt loop.

Yeah, you don't strike me as an AdP sort of guy. You ought to try Eau d'hermes for something citrusy, old school, and that also stinks (in a good way!) Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fraiche Badiane would be another. Wow does that one ever stink (but also tries to be fresh!)

Or, what about good ole Kouros? For something fresh and powdery with kick, I think you'd do well with that one, too.
post #122 of 21227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
Yeah, you don't strike me as an AdP sort of guy. You ought to try Eau d'hermes for something citrusy, old school, and that also stinks (in a good way!) Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fraiche Badiane would be another. Wow does that one ever stink (but also tries to be fresh!)

Or, what about good ole Kouros? For something fresh and powdery with kick, I think you'd do well with that one, too.

I saw Kouros at the Mexico City Airport as we returned home in May, and didn't think to give it a whirl. I seem to think that Kouros and Antaeus are twins of a sort, but could be completely wrong on that one. Since I've got another two big bottles of Antaeus, I'll probably let that one slide until, oh, 2012.

Oh, I had an appalling moment this weekend. I was painting some bookcases with oil paint (Add that to the 'Never Again' list) and washed my brush out with turpentine. Then I used Dawn (original scent) to wash out the turpentine. After drying my brushes I took a whiff of my hands:

Creed Cuir de Russie.

Who knew?
post #123 of 21227
Antaeus and Kouros aren't alike, IMO. Yes, they're both 80's power scents, but I think you could easily have both in your collection and not be worse off. Antaeus is soft and pleasant all around while Kouros kicks you in the face... but in the most pleasant way possible.

Also, Dmax, have you ever tried Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon? If you like Lutens, I think the Cartier would be up your alley as well (both have that deep, dark oriental quality, only that this Cartier isn't so heavy as to be unwearable... as is the case, I find, with many Lutens).
post #124 of 21227
Strangely I'm getting spice from AdP. Kind of Nutmeg/Cinnamon. Weird.

As for Kouros, I'll have to wait a while, as I'm just now coming off a shaving soap acquisition binge and am also fixing to move to new digs. One more bottle (or jar) in the cabinet and I'll have some 'splaining to do.
post #125 of 21227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Also, Dmax, have you ever tried Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon? If you like Lutens, I think the Cartier would be up your alley as well (both have that deep, dark oriental quality, only that this Cartier isn't so heavy as to be unwearable... as is the case, I find, with many Lutens).

Have not tried the Cartier. Will keep an eye out for it.

Has anyone else tried the Tom Ford Private Blend line of fragrances? I think I liked Amber Absolute and maybe Bois Rouge. I will probably get to smell them again next month.
post #126 of 21227
Today I'm wearing Czech and Speake's Special Edition "Cuba". Wonderful scent!
post #127 of 21227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
Have not tried the Cartier. Will keep an eye out for it.

Has anyone else tried the Tom Ford Private Blend line of fragrances? I think I liked Amber Absolute and maybe Bois Rouge. I will probably get to smell them again next month.

Yeah, definitely give it a try. I was really quite pleasantly surprised by it.

Haven't tried the private blend, but I definitely want to give a few of them a spin. A friend of mine has been telling me about Tabacco Vanille and says it's really something.
post #128 of 21227
Today I wore Gaultier2.
post #129 of 21227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions View Post
Today I wore Gaultier2.

Gaultier always does very interesting scents; unfortunately I associate the original Le Male with a certain undesirable character I knew who always wore it, but overall as a scent I find it quite unique.

My favorite Gaultier Puissance deux story is from Basenotes (a fragrance forum) where a new teenage member mentioned that he was worried about getting enough "projection" from his fragrances and so sprayed Gaultier 2 onto his body 40-60 times before leaving for the morning.

I could only imagine anyone being within 100 meters of this biological weapon! I would encourage you to wear less than 6 sprays of your Gaultier (one on each side of your neck, one on each wrist, and one on each inner-arm OR LESS).
post #130 of 21227
Montale Black Aoud
post #131 of 21227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayzum View Post
Montale Black Aoud

Ooh, very nice. Either you have cash to burn or today you have a meeting with someone you want to impress! I never waste my Aoud on just anybody...

For me, today it's Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman; it's something like a Diesel mechanic completely overhauls an engine while wearing Knize Ten.
post #132 of 21227
Today, Creed Neroli Sauvage. Not sure why I'm feeling like an orange/celery combo today...
post #133 of 21227
L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fou d'Absinthe today. My second favourite from them, after Méchant Loup.
post #134 of 21227
Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur De Male
post #135 of 21227
Le Labo -Rose 31, something like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread