• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Land Rover (2000-2002)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Land Rover Discovery, 2000 to 2002, with 50k to 65k miles.

Any input as far as durability, repair costs, fuel economy, general ride comfort, etc would be appreciated.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't do that. Disco's were bad enough in later years, I wouldn't touch a 00-02. I have owned three LR and I shall never, ever even consider saying the name of the company. Horrendous maintenance issues. If you are going to buy an out of warranty disco, just take the money and flush it down the toilet, you'll get more utility out of that action. If you must get a disco, get one from the year when they switched over to the old Range Rover engine and changed the front fascia (03-04??). You do not know what pain is until you own a LR. On the plus side, they are tanks and you will be safe in most accidents (a BMW rear ended our Disco and was literally destroyed. All we had to do was change the bumper and the hitch) and they carry a lot of crap in them. So, the few times when it will be working, you will be happy.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
I was considering a similar purchase and asked a friend of mine who has a mini/vespa/landrover dealership and repair shop. he laughed and suggested buying a vw golf tdi. They are comfortable to ride in, but are pretty much the worst cars ever in relation to your other criteria (durability, repair costs, fuel economy)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you need the off road capabilities of the real offroaders (ie the Defender), VMAN, DON'T DO IT! Many LRs are reliability nightmares.

Seriously. If getting used and need good offroad performance and some luxobarge accoutrements, get an old Land Cruiser instead.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warnings.

Right now I drive a mid-sized SUV. I like having 4WD in the winter, but wouldn't mind 2WD. I like having the cargo room. I dislike the fuel economy that I am currently getting (13 city / 18 hwy) but can live with that if necessary.

Any recommendations based on that? My budget is $10-$12k as I will be paying in cash. Under 75k miles.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Discoverys are highly unreliable. Avoid at all costs. Sister in Law has one and it is terrible.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If you buy something that size, make sure you know how to park the damn thing!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If you buy something that size, make sure you know how to park the damn thing!

The Land Rover is about the same size as the SUV I currently drive, except a little taller. My truck barely fits into my garage as-is, so the 4" height difference might be an issue.

I have nixed the LR idea for now. I assume that Range Rovers from 1999-2001 face the same issues as the Discovery, and I can cross that vehicle off my list too?

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Thanks for the warnings.

Right now I drive a mid-sized SUV. I like having 4WD in the winter, but wouldn't mind 2WD. I like having the cargo room. I dislike the fuel economy that I am currently getting (13 city / 18 hwy) but can live with that if necessary.

Any recommendations based on that? My budget is $10-$12k as I will be paying in cash. Under 75k miles.

Land Rovers are very nice and impressive cars, but mechanically are junk. Expensive to repair too.

Infiniti QX4? I'd look at Japanese first, but American trucks are a lot better then a lot of people give them credit for. If you can get a few more dollars, and want something flashy, check out Aviators. I have seen '04s with 50k miles going for $15g's or so.

4WD is important if you see a lot of snow.. The back ends of these RWD trucks tend to slide out in wet conditions.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Land Rovers are very nice and impressive cars, but mechanically are junk. Expensive to repair too.

Infiniti QX4? I'd look at Japanese first, but American trucks are a lot better then a lot of people give them credit for. If you can get a few more dollars, and want something flashy, check out Aviators. I have seen '04s with 50k miles going for $15g's or so.

4WD is important if you see a lot of snow.. The back ends of these RWD trucks tend to slide out in wet conditions.

+1

I'd look japanese first (as much as I hate the styling on pretty much all of them) and then american. The great thing about the american vehicles is that even if they break down, it costs like $2 to fix. I'd get an Explorer, RX300, Acura MDX, Lincoln Aviator etc etc before getting a Disco.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the Northern US and we get a lot of snow. I also live near the downtown area, so there are a lot of narrow residential streets that don't get hit by the plows. 4WD is a major plus for me.

Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot are just out of my range ($15,000+ for 2003ish with 75k) but seem decent. Any others?

I have an Explorer now and have been happy with it. 115k miles, no repairs needed. Have had it for 5+ years.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a thought, but you don't need a suv for 4wd... Unless you really need the room or the clearance, i don't see the point of having one.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Just a thought, but you don't need a suv for 4wd... Unless you really need the room or the clearance, i don't see the point of having one.
I like the Audi Allroad and the Volvo XC70 Cross Country but feel like I am too young to drive a wagon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I like the Audi Allroad and the Volvo XC70 Cross Country but feel like I am too young to drive a wagon.

What?!? I would say you are too young to drive an SUV. Seriously. A awd wagon (unless I would be planning do to some rock crawling) would be my choice every time. Don't forget that the atrocious handling characteristics of an SUV do not go away if you pick an AWD or 4WD model. A 2wd car with good snow tires would probably be safer on a road anyway.

How about an Impreza wagon? Maybe the WRX wagon? Blast to drive AND AWD. The Allroad would also be nioce...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads