or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Polygamy: Who's for it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polygamy: Who's for it? - Page 3

post #31 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
Oh my! That many?!?

One for all of her personalities, actually.
post #32 of 93
This thread made me wonder...

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

Seems very similar to polygamy.
post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
This thread made me wonder...

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

Seems very similar to polygamy.

It's considered serial monogamy, rather then polygamy.
post #34 of 93
Some years back I was very active in a dog club. Most all the other leading figures were women. The bitchiness, intrigues and the desire of them to recruit me to their side would have been enough to turn me off the idea of polygamy then and there.

My first two wives were absolute demons from hell. My present wife is a royal pain in the @$$ most of the time, although viewed objectively, she is really probably a pretty decent woman, as women go.

That being bonded to a woman is a good thing is the underlying myth of heterosexualty--that woman is life's ultimate prize. With maturity and experience, I now realize what a specious mythology it all is!
post #35 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
So your problem lies with underage relationships, arranged marriages, and incest?

Pretty much.
post #36 of 93
If what you say is true, it's certainly clear that you have lousy taste in wives. Perhaps because you bought the myth that partner is some sort of prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Some years back I was very active in a dog club. Most all the other leading figures were women. The bitchiness, intrigues and the desire of them to recruit me to their side would have been enough to turn me off the idea of polygamy then and there.

My first two wives were absolute demons from hell. My present wife is a royal pain in the @$$ most of the time, although viewed objectively, she is really probably a pretty decent woman, as women go.

That being bonded to a woman is a good thing is the underlying myth of heterosexualty--that woman is life's ultimate prize. With maturity and experience, I now realize what a specious mythology it all is!
post #37 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
If what you say is true, it's certainly clear that you have lousy taste in wives. Perhaps because you bought the myth that partner is some sort of prize.

Oh, absolutely! If we don't regard women as life's ultimate prizes, the whole underpinnings of heterosexuality--at least monogamous hetersexual family life, as we know it--collapse. I agree that it is a myth and that the whole mythology of woman as the "good guy" of the sexes--loving, caring and nuturing--who will greatly enrich and enhance the life of the man who bonds with her is a sh*t mythology!
post #38 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Oh, absolutely! If we don't regard women as life's ultimate prizes, the whole underpinnings of heterosexuality--at least monogamous hetersexual family life, as we know it--collapse. I agree that it is a myth and that the whole mythology of woman as the "good guy" of the sexes--loving, caring and nuturing--who will greatly enrich and enhance the life of the man who bonds with her is a sh*t mythology!

Dude, you rock. I'm laughing my ass off at your last couple of posts.
post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
This thread made me wonder...

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

Seems very similar to polygamy.

I liken it to leasing a car. You get screwed financially, but at least you get a new model every few years.
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
I liken it to leasing a car. You get screwed financially, but at least you get a new model every few years.

why not lease a few at the same time

Sure, it`s more maintenance, but having several cars is better than just one, right? Why does the gov`t have to make restrictions and only allow us to have one car at a time?
post #41 of 93
I don't think polygamy is how it's meant to be personally. Humans are jealous creatures by nature and I don't think it can end well.
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
This thread made me wonder...

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

Seems very similar to polygamy.

A kind of serial polygamy instead of the traditional parallel kind. The reason for polygamy was to allow successful men to have more kids. Modern remarriages are usually more about companionship.
post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Mark Twain's view:

Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions preparatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here - until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No - the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

Half of Utah is descended from Brigham Young.
post #44 of 93
Interesting tidbit from the UAE... http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/...Esq4y2RdbtiBIF. I was interested to learn that while men may have up to four wives there most only have one...
post #45 of 93
One wife is more than most men can handle. If you think you can handle your wife, you're just misinformed.

The Great American Stay at Home Wives Conspiracy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Polygamy: Who's for it?