• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

I hope this gets pinned so we can avoid the 15 t-shirt threads that pop up every week.

So, let’s use this thread to post things such as measurements, types of fit, price guides, etc…this way all questions and answers can be found on one thread.

Ok, I’ll post some info:

Slim tees:

American Apparel
GAP Stretch-Fit
Hollister Muscle-Fit
Abercrombie & Fitch Muscle Fit
Benetton
Sisley

Jon.

itskub

Reaction score
first reply
biggrin.gif

im looking for super-slim t-shirts (packs of 2 or 3 would be ideal, for college).
American Appereal is fitted, but not really 'skinny' which is what i am, plus Im 6'3".

anyone? ty

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Don't scoff, but american apparel women's tshirts. Rauch on sufu is a really skinny guy and did the same thing and it worked out really well. He is a size small and got a size large i think. It was the same shirt it was just a little bit slimmer because he's super skinny, even more so than you. It may be weird, but if you have an american apparel in your city, i'd try on a 2-3 sizes in the womens version to see if it works out.

I'd throw Michael J Krell shirts in there too, also BDG shirts from urban outfitters which are 2 for $24 and fit pretty much just like AA.

Cali

Reaction score
I don't know about the cotton tees but I love the Soffe dri-release tees. They sell them at the base but you can also get them online. Broader shoulders and longer sleeves than AA in equivalent sizes (ie M-M). I am between M and L in AA and the Soffe fits perfectly.

deputamadre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
first reply
biggrin.gif

im looking for super-slim t-shirts (packs of 2 or 3 would be ideal, for college).
American Appereal is fitted, but not really 'skinny' which is what i am, plus Im 6'3".

anyone? ty

i'm 6'5'' and AA baby rib t-shirts, as well as h&m rib t-shirts are very skinny. the AA shirts are really cheap from this site:
http://trendyblanks.com/Wholesale/de...asp?style=4400

jimmych00

Reaction score
To be honest, I find that the AA shirts fit tight around the pit area. I find that quite annoying because the rest of the **** fits nicely. I've also noticed that the AA shirts shrink quite a bit.

On the subject of t-shirts, any idea who makes this tee? Rick Owens?
davidbeckhamtorontoblueni3.jpg

Chris.

Reaction score
^ nope.

rick owens' tees are quite slim, and very long, which is why they're my favorite. they're a bit pricier than AA, however.

for cheaper alternatives, i like tsubi and b-son.

jimmych00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris.
^ nope.

rick owens' tees are quite slim, and very long, which is why they're my favorite. they're a bit pricier than AA, however.

for cheaper alternatives, i like tsubi and b-son.

Just saw your post in the other thread, nice Rick Owen tees. Where did you purchase them from? Any online stores that carry Rick Owens t-shirts?

zw-gator

Reaction score
Graphic tees? Anyone know of some good brands, preferably, with heavier cotton (thin tees, for me, doesn't work, but the basic fruit of the looms/Gildan activewear weight is fine)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be honest, I like AA sizes but they just shrink so much upon washing that I have given up on the brand. I don't like guesswork and its not worth spending money on something you aren't sure you will be able to wear after one wash.

That's why I like Uniqlo for basics now, since I think all of their stuff is pre-washed/pre-shrunk so what you buy is what you get.

-----

For graphic tees, threadless.com is pretty cool. Although mostly I'll just go to one of those stores in Manhattan that sells a lot of weird t-shirt brands (i.e. Yellow Rat Bastard in Noho) and just look around. They have 100s of cool designs.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm about a 19.25-5" pit to pit, 6'0-6'1 and 155-160 lbs (yea, **** fluctuates, get off my back).
I'm between a small and medium in AA. I have a medium flex fleece hoodie that fits well, a small vneck or two that fits well, a medium crewneck that fits alright(but the small showed nip from the white sheerness).
In BDG heathered(50/50) tees, i'm a medium but in their 100% cotton tees i'm a small(including the vneck).
I'm between 36 and 38 in MJK but often opt for the 38.
I'm a small in gap athletic but it still could fit a bit better, but i don't think it would be solved by getting an xs, just a problem with cut.

Graphic tees :/ I've yet to see that many that i would feel comfortable wearing. Some of the dior ones i've seen look pretty cool and inconspicuous and i've liked most of the Grey/Playhound stuff that Chris bought for people last year but that's about it.

I'm not sure what i am in rick owens though, i have yet to rob chris. I'll let you all know.....Seriously though, great purchases, chris

bsyde82

Reaction score
i always have probs finding a perfect fitting tee....

im 5'8, 150ish, and pretty lean...but i do have a chest, from working out...so im not flat chested...and i do not like having fitted t shirts to show that man cleavage...but i also dont want something i could swim in

ive found that the ONLY tee ive ever liked is that british flag tee at urban made by BDG...its some sort of enzyme wash dye or whatever...only FIT i ever liked, to be more specific...its fitted w/o being too tight on the chest and arms area (my arms are somewhat bigger as well)

if anyone has experience with this very popular urban t shirt...and know of similar fitting shirts, please enlighten me

thx

beedeecee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
To be honest, I like AA sizes but they just shrink so much upon washing that I have given up on the brand. I don't like guesswork and its not worth spending money on something you aren't sure you will be able to wear after one wash.

That's why I like Uniqlo for basics now, since I think all of their stuff is pre-washed/pre-shrunk so what you buy is what you get.

-----

For graphic tees, threadless.com is pretty cool. Although mostly I'll just go to one of those stores in Manhattan that sells a lot of weird t-shirt brands (i.e. Yellow Rat Bastard in Noho) and just look around. They have 100s of cool designs.

I find it strange that you don't like AA, but you like threadless.

I have a few shirts from threadless and I've noticed that even though they're all supposedly the same size, they all have very different fits. They have great designs, but the crapshoot with sizing is frustrating :\\

gqreader239

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beedeecee
I find it strange that you don't like AA, but you like threadless.

I have a few shirts from threadless and I've noticed that even though they're all supposedly the same size, they all have very different fits. They have great designs, but the crapshoot with sizing is frustrating :\\

+1 the medium and smalls have a very large sizing gap. leaving the small to be too small and medium to be too large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads