or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › names we dislike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

names we dislike - Page 7

post #91 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post
I like family names. Portuguese names (if you're Portuguese) are cool. Some of the more trendy names today (Tyler, Madison, Cody, Jackson, Dylan, etc.) are silly, but you can't blame the kidz....

I think the most popular name last year was Aiden, after the dude Sarah Jessica Parker was having intercourse with on Sex in the City. Kinda sad. It might be a cool name if you were the only one.
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Obnoxious English names. Some that come to mind:

Abner
Baldrick
Alistair
Archibald
Padgett
Willoughby.


Er, Conne, whether you find "Abner" obnoxious or not is another matter, but it is most definitely not English. It is Hebrew. Abner was a prominent figure in the Kingdom of Israel under David and Saul. You can read about him in First and Second Samuel.

I might mention I have never cared much for my first name. "Jan" is fine in places where it is the accepted version "John," but here in the states it exotic, chronically mispronounced and confused with the girl's name.
post #93 of 103
I dislike a lot of names, but in particular I dislike trendy or pseudo-classy names, especially surnames used as first names, and anything ending in a schwa + N sound, such as:

Aiden
Jaden
Braden
Caden
Hayden (notice a pattern yet?)
Madison
Devon
Katelyn (and other bastardizations of Caitlin/Kathleen)
Harrison
Anderson
Jackson (the proper first-name equivalents of such surnames are fine)
post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
Oh yeah, I also think that making judgments about people based on their first name is really lame (i.e., "I can't take anyone named Brent seriously.").

That's good because my name is unisex. I'd hate to think that anyone that heard my name would make a judgement that i was in to things like pretty shoes, wearing pink, and handbags, just because of my name.
post #95 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew V. View Post
I dislike a lot of names, but in particular I dislike trendy or pseudo-classy names, especially surnames used as first names, and anything ending in a schwa + N sound, such as:

Aiden
Jaden
Braden
Caden
Hayden (notice a pattern yet?)
Madison
Devon
Katelyn (and other bastardizations of Caitlin/Kathleen)
Harrison
Anderson
Jackson (the proper first-name equivalents of such surnames are fine)

Ugh! I was just coming on here to post my hate of the first 5, since I can't stand the recent rash of Aiden-esqe names. The rest suck too, unless you're talking about Anderson Cooper or Jackson Brown, who are both cool.
post #96 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
Sha-vee-air, like Xabi Alonso. Although I find this "you can only say it like the Basque (or the French or the Spanish)" a little stupid, as by this logic you could ONLY say it with the original pronunciation. It was absorbed into French and Spanish lexicons, why not American English?
because when you say it in spanish, it sounds like a spanish word. it flows, and does not sound foreign. if you say it in english, it is an awkward, ugly name. and it is obviously foreign. like when americans name their son 'andre', and the kid goes around his whole life calling himself andre, and it just sounds like he can't pronounce his own name. another example is the central americans who give their kids names like richard, or washington, and of course they say it with a thick accent. it sounds ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
I always heard it pronounced ha-vee-air or ha-bee air. Pronouncing it zay-vee-air sounds pretty bizarre to my ear.

'zah-vee-eh' is the french pronunciation, which is likely the source of the english one.
post #97 of 103
It's pronounced with a hard "g" sound in front of the "z" sound in French:

gzah-vié
post #98 of 103
Some of you sound like pretty resentful people. It's true, some people do have lousy names, but why make fun of them?
post #99 of 103
Oops double post
post #100 of 103
Apple. That name alone is enough reason to loathe Gwyneth Paltrow. We didn't need another reason.
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
your mother's name is ee-vet-ah. please don't say 'uh'. and ya-vet-uh is not less correct, it's completely incorrect.
Yes, -ah is how it's pronounced, but since it's not the stressed syllable, -uh was close enough in type for me to get the meaning across. Sorry, I didn't use the correct pronunciation key. I was pointing out the long e sound as the issue. You're the best.

And actually if I pronounce my mother's name incorrectly, I'm not concerned. Maybe it's a sign of my contempt for her (but, alas that's a thread that belongs elsewhere).
post #102 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill View Post
Gavin, Ian, Colin, and all those other "OH HAI BROZ MY DADZ THE SOCCER COACH" names. Fuck you.

Stay out of Ireland then, and save yourself a shit-kicking ...
post #103 of 103
Oh, and I despise those English names that are of indeterminate gender.

Not to mention ridiculous spelling variants, the provenance of which I presume are illiterate parents.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › names we dislike