• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling

jamaican

Reaction score
I have been reading articles on this forum for a while now. This is my first post, so go easy on me. After reading rave reviews about Gaziano & Girling shoes here I decided to order some - Hove on a traditional round last in vintage maple (same as in the Savile Row show room, for those who have been there). Quick note on timing: the shoes were completed in 3 1/2 months much to my surprise. First a request: I am thinking about another pair: Rothschild; or Connaught. I have never seen these shoes on the smart round last. If any one has either (or both) in any colour on that last or even any other last), I should be most grateful if you would post some photographs and opinions on them to give me an idea of outcome. Second, is there a central thread with pics of all of the G&G MTOs (I have seen Timelessrider's excellent shots from the G&G London launch and a few other related threads)? If not, can we start one similar to the pictoral index for Edward Green, Lobb, Vass and C&J? (I will pick mine up in a few weeks or so and post pics or a link to pics here, if I can figure out how.) Those pictoral indeices are great for rookies like me. Thanks for the education thus far. J

Harrydog

Reaction score
Post pics please.

I ordered mine (Hayes, Rioja on the smart square last) in April with a promised late September delivery.

Wish I had a 3 1/2 month turn around!

jamaican

Reaction score
Attachment 7219

Attachment 7220

Attachment 7221

Some overdue G&G flavour. Hove on the GG06 in vintage Maple, size 11.5 E. These were made in July, delivered in August. These seem to be an earlier generation of fiddle back finishes than those posted by Harrydog, for example. I am very happy with them and have ordered another pair; Rotschild on the TG73 in vintage pine. (I met Tony Gaziano at the Chittleborough & Morgan shop to order. I discuss this below.) The Rothschilds should touch down in March 2008. I was looking for a loafer too. I was in love with the Antibes but she isn't so pretty up close and personal - someone post a picture of theirs and make me eat my words. Just didn't work for me. I was undecided but think I will be back in the new year the Cannes in a grain leather... it should be ready just in time for summer...

As I said, I met and spoke to Tony Gaziano in London. That was at the end of last month. We spoke at some length about the boots and walking shoes to be introduced. Rather than repeat what has already been said in other threads, I note that Tony described the current ranges as the "tip of the iceberg". There will be other "lines" and lasts coming out next year.

As for improvements, Tony did mention, apart from the ongoing procss of improving the fiddle, the shoes are moving towards a shoe that has no "gap" between the sole and the upper (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that.)

I wanted to press Tony on whether it is true (as I have read on AAAC) that G&G will produce a shoe of the customers' design on the standard lasts a la EG Top Drawer... I just didn't have the b*lls to push him. He did comfirm that they would do a traditional Adelaide U-throat.

Possibility of G&G doing some bespoke shoes for music and fashion superstars, also discussed. Good for them.

Finally, I could be talking absolute Tosh but I think Tony said that the MTO samples of the new 2008 shoes will be available at the end of this month... can't be sure though.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Tony has confirmed he will modify existing patterns within the scope of MTO. As it happens, I was specifically discussing a traditional adelaide.

I have an appointment with Tony next Thursday so I look forward to seeing any new samples he may have on display.

jamaican

Reaction score
I see. So G&G will modify an existing pattern, but not do something entirely different.

jjl5000, I think I discussed with Tony one of your earlier posts where you mentioned a conversation you had with him. I suppose I would like to know how far "modify" will go... For example, say there is a G&G chelsea boot, could that be "modified" into a zip boot, or is that "another pattern altogether. OR will they just change the shape of the elastic part on the boot and add a medalion (if I wanted such a thing). Suppose I should just ask Tony or Dean.

As regards the Adelaide, I wonder if G&G would also do the traditional heel counter for the Adelaide... like the one on the EG Falkirk.

Tony is a lovely chap. Sure he will look after you.

Some more pics.

jjl5000

Reaction score
This is the shoe from G&G's bespoke gallery that I have asked Tony to replicate under the MTO program:

GG2.jpg

Where we probably differ, is that I don't want a heel counter. I prefer adelaides without. No doubt the 'normal' inclusion of a heel counter is to give the shoe aesthetic balance but I think the style looks sleeker without. This is a pic of a recent EG MTO in a similar vein:

EGTelford11.jpg

TBH, I wouldn't have thought the heel counter would be any great shakes to copy.

jamaican

Reaction score
JJL5000, while I agree that an Adelaide is usually sleeker without the heel counter like your EG Telfords on AAAC (beautiful if I may so say). AND while I wanted to just replicate your Telford but in a G&G, I have now seen a shoe on the Centipide site (attached) that really got me chomping at the bit.
That has a heal counter and it just works... wonder if Tony could do that for me (on the GG06 last I suppose.)

jjl5000

Reaction score
I have seen this style before and it certainly hasn't been forgotten. I rather like the modified U throat but I would prefer a diamond cap rather than the wing tip. I think the diamond cap would still work without the heel counter but if wings are your preference, then I would concur with keeping the counter. Good choice!

As you suggest, exploring the boundaries of the MTO program and pattern modification is a question best answered by Tony & Dean. I also enquired about a balmoral boot with contrasting facing. Similar to a C&J boot on display in their Jermyn St. store:

CJ.jpg

Again, the reply was positive. Not having seen the forthcoming balmoral boot model, it is impossible to determine any likely degree of modification at this stage. However, there does appear to be desire to accommodate the customer if at all possible.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
I suppose I would like to know how far "modify" will go... For example, say there is a G&G chelsea boot, could that be "modified" into a zip boot, or is that "another pattern altogether. OR will they just change the shape of the elastic part on the boot and add a medalion (if I wanted such a thing).
I'm afraid, changing a Chelsea into a zipped boot is an entirely new design and will require a totally different pattern.

I don't think, "˜modification' would entail more than changing a toe cap or a heel counter, adding or removing a medallion, changing the size of brogueing, etc. But if you have your own design ideas, discuss it with Tony or Dean and see if they can accommodate you within the made-to-order programme.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, there is only so much they can do with their MTM. If you basically tell them you want to copy a shoe that is beyond having a captoe, adelaide, heel counters, wing-tip design or medallion, you're looking at bespoke. Otherwise, such requests would swallow the MTM program, I would think.

navysuede

Reaction score
What's the current pricing on this brand..The shoes are quite beautiful....Just
wanted to get an understanding on makeup times and cost.I know they are
more than EG because they are bespoke but are they in the Lobb range??

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by navysuede
What's the current pricing on this brand..The shoes are quite beautiful....Just
wanted to get an understanding on makeup times and cost.I know they are
more than EG because they are bespoke but are they in the Lobb range??

They are machine made to order, like EG, but with some additional hand work. Price is about the same as standard EG MTO. Great value.

G&G also makes true bespoke. Those are $3300 or so.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
I have seen this style before and it certainly hasn’t been forgotten. I rather like the modified U throat but I would prefer a diamond cap rather than the wing tip. I think the diamond cap would still work without the heel counter but if wings are your preference, then I would concur with keeping the counter. Good choice! As you suggest, exploring the boundaries of the MTO program and pattern modification is a question best answered by Tony & Dean. I also enquired about a balmoral boot with contrasting facing. Similar to a C&J boot on display in their Jermyn St. store:
CJ.jpg
Again, the reply was positive. Not having seen the forthcoming balmoral boot model, it is impossible to determine any likely degree of modification at this stage. However, there does appear to be desire to accommodate the customer if at all possible.

What a bizarre boot--I don't understand the impulse to use tan leather on a black boot. It's like someone couldn't decide between whether they wanted to be a City Gent or an intrepid Tropic explorer.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
Attachment 7219

Attachment 7220

Attachment 7221

let me just say this, i have never given thought to the soft round last , but your shoes absolutely rock.
that is a sculptured piece of work, unbelievable. i definitely feel like changing my order to the soft round now, from their list of rtw to be in stock in january.

i had ordered a soft square hughes, but changed it to the Gable in vintage oak on the smart square.

beautiful. i hope my gable turns out so.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
let me just say this, i have never given thought to the soft round last , but your shoes absolutely rock.
that is a sculptured piece of work, unbelievable. i definitely feel like changing my order to the soft round now, from their list of rtw to be in stock in january.

i had ordered a soft square hughes, but changed it to the Gable in vintage oak on the smart square.

beautiful. i hope my gable turns out so.

the gable is a nice looking shoe and very different!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads