or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post
Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.

yes, the M-16 family is probrably more accurate - but what I meant was that my first reaction to his post was that he was wrong, that the AR-15 is a great weapon. but, the AK family is great, too.

the AK is tougher, and is still pretty light. the AR-15 is like a pistol, in terms of weight, is very comfotable to use, has great killing power. its just a little more fragile.
post #77 of 3155
and you can carry about twice as much 5.56 ammo as 7.62 ammo, when you count in the weight of the magazines.
post #78 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
I went to the armoury today I was surprised at how easy it is to get a gun. You just need to take a multiple choice test in CA. When I was there I saw some ghetto gangstah looking peeps loading up on shotguns lol.

Reminds me of the time I went to Firing Line in Burbank, and saw two cholos firing a Saturday Night Special in the next row. Gave me a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.
post #79 of 3155
If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.
post #80 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg1 View Post
If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.

I suppose if you expect your house to be assaulted by a large criminal gang, one of its civilianized counteparts would make a sound choice. Otherwise I'm not sure what it is first-choice for.
post #81 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
I suppose if you expect your house to be assaulted by a large criminal gang, one of its civilianized counteparts would make a sound choice. Otherwise I'm not sure what it is first-choice for.

It could happen. Haven't you ever watched the A-Team? I always keep an FN FAL, a welding torch, an old-but-still-usable tractor, a plan I would love to see come together, and a glass of milk around; just in case my small town is overrun by a large gang of rough-looking white guys. My aim has never been too hot, but the bad guys always seem to have a jump a lot when things explode.
post #82 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
FWIW, I have never heard of "special bullets with off-set center." I don't claim omniscience about firearms matters, but that's a new one on me. How do they work? How would you get any accuracy from such a thing?

BTW, when I counseled the OP to start out with a .22, I was not advocating it as a self-defense weapon. It was mainly a learning tool. (And, they're always a lot of fun--and cheap--to shoot.)

Imagine bullet exiting barrel and flying on a brink of it's balance, the moment it comes in contact with anything it starts making summersaults.
That is how it works. It was tested by both Soviet and US military but never found wide use as it does not have effective penetration when it comes to thick walls. However it is very bad for human targets.

As far as Ar-15 vs. AK-47 .
AK-47 is a machine gun!
AR-15 is an automatic rifle!
AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples.

P.S. In terms of maintenance anything can be compared, I guess: so AK-47 consists of 5 large parts if you take it apart.
post #83 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdude View Post
Reminds me of the time I went to Firing Line in Burbank, and saw two cholos firing a Saturday Night Special in the next row. Gave me a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

you know that feeling, when you are walking down the street, that "man, I hope that crazy guy can't get his hands on a gun" feeling. If you go to a shooting range in Philadelphia, look around, you will be surrounded by those guys. It is ok when you are in the range but later in the afternoon, walking down the street, you see one of those guys and realize that he is armed to the teeth. quite unnerving.
post #84 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
Imagine bullet exiting barrel and flying on a brink of it's balance, the moment it comes in contact with anything it starts making summersaults. That is how it works. It was tested by both Soviet and US military but never found wide use as it does not have effective penetration when it comes to thick walls. However it is very bad for human targets. As far as Ar-15 vs. AK-47 . AK-47 is a machine gun! AR-15 is an automatic rifle! AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples. P.S. In terms of maintenance anything can be compared, I guess: so AK-47 consists of 5 large parts if you take it apart.
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. All boat tail rifle rounds tumble. An AK-47 is an extremely rare assault rifle that hasn't been made for 60 years. In fact, almost nothing you've said so far has been right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepataphysician View Post
you know that feeling, when you are walking down the street, that "man, I hope that crazy guy can't get his hands on a gun" feeling. If you go to a shooting range in Philadelphia, look around, you will be surrounded by those guys. It is ok when you are in the range but later in the afternoon, walking down the street, you see one of those guys and realize that he is armed to the teeth. quite unnerving.
Man, I know. Can you imagine what would happen if the brown people who don't dress like the white middle class had the same rights as the rest of us?
post #85 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post
Man, I know. Can you imagine what would happen if the brown people who don't dress like the white middle class had the same rights as the rest of us?


I was not making a comment based on race at all. I was talking about the CRAZY guys who walk down the street talking to/yelling at themselves.
post #86 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post
An AK-47 is an extremely rare assault rifle that hasn't been made for 60 years.


??

Quote:

AK-47 is a machine gun!
AR-15 is an automatic rifle!
AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples.



both are assult rifles, a maching gun is an entirely different thing.


the ak-47 comes in 7.62 - there is another member of the kalachnikov family that comes in 5.56, but that is a different weapon.
post #87 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
??
The AK-47 was made for about a year after WW2, after which it was quickly replaced by the AKM. Generally, I am not this anal with people about this stuff, but in his case, I make an exception.
post #88 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post
The AK-47 was made for about a year after WW2, after which it was quickly replaced by the AKM. Generally, I am not this anal with people about this stuff, but in his case, I make an exception.

this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here. I have always understood the 7.62 mm assult rifle made by russia and her allies was the AK-47.

but, I did a quick web search and havn't found anything that backs up what you are saying.
post #89 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here.

This is actually the case for the term "AR-15" used here as well, but everyone uses the term in this way I guess. This designation refers to a specific manufacturer, Colt Industries, and it's particular model of the rifle. A more correct terminology would be the "M4" or "M-16" and/or the variants made by a very wide variety of brands.
post #90 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here. I have always understood the 7.62 mm assult rifle made by russia and her allies was the AK-47. but, I did a quick web search and havn't found anything that backs up what you are saying.
In most cases, I don't care, and it's not a particularly important distinction (though I always use it myself). In his case, considering how thoroughly wrong everything he's said so far has been, exception. Especially because of this off center bullet nonsense. I did, incidentally, mix up the dates. 59 for the AKM (though the AK-47 is quite rare these days). The AK-47 was adopted in 49, and it was the prototypes developed from the Stg44 pattern that were short lived after WW2.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread