or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Guns are barbaric.
I look nothing like this man.
post #62 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Guns are barbaric.
The violence in them is no more than the violence we bring to them. I am a gentle man. ~ Huntsman
post #63 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
There are special bullets with off-set center. They are very bouncy and never come out where you expect them.

FWIW, I have never heard of "special bullets with off-set center." I don't claim omniscience about firearms matters, but that's a new one on me. How do they work? How would you get any accuracy from such a thing?

BTW, when I counseled the OP to start out with a .22, I was not advocating it as a self-defense weapon. It was mainly a learning tool. (And, they're always a lot of fun--and cheap--to shoot.)
post #64 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSurface View Post
Speaking of guns. Do any of you gun collectors/aficionados have high quality images of guns from all eras? Either your own, or if you can link me to a website, it would be much appreciated. I need pics for my next painting. Thanks.
PM me a postal address, and I'll send you a disc I made a couple of years ago. It's got about 700 photos/jpgs, in no particular order. Mostly antique stuff, including blank arms, armour, and some militaria (helmets, uniforms, medals, etc.) They were mostly meant for arms collectors, so there are some odd details of markings/numbers and the like there. There's also sites like: http://armchairgunshow.com/
post #65 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Guns are barbaric.

So, frequently, are people.















And fucking chimps. I just watched the Jungles Planet Earth episode and that chimpanzee battle gave me the fucking chills. Noble savages my ass Rousseau.
post #66 of 3148
post #67 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms244 View Post
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

whodini this guy shot a bunch of different guns to see their terminal effects. A 22 simply doesn't have much power behind it, its a 40 grain solid lead slug traveling at maybe 1100fps (subsonic) at the muzzle. A 9mm will be traveling at about 1300 fps (slightly above supersonic) and will weight at 124 gr to 148 gr. So the power difference is pretty big.
What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.
post #68 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.

Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.
post #69 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

That site really makes me want an AR-15.
post #70 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.
You remember the great SF crash of '05?
post #71 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
You remember the great SF crash of '05?

post #72 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster View Post
That site really makes me want an AR-15.
This should convince you otherwise. For comparison.
post #73 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post

I was going to ask why, and then I saw the links. yes, the AR-15 is a great weapon, unless you compare it to the AK family, and then it sucks.
post #74 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post

While I agree that AKs don't need too much maintainance, the AR15/Target 20 etc... is probably fine with just simple cleaning if you shoot it w/o a really high workload. I probably have about 2000-2500 total rounds fired in mine and I've cleaned it a few times but haven't had any issues to date.

Then again, if you're firing 1000 rounds per week, maybe it would require more maintanance, but unless you're a serious merc or range junkie, that may not be an issue.
post #75 of 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
I was going to ask why, and then I saw the links. yes, the AR-15 is a great weapon, unless you compare it to the AK family, and then it sucks.

Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread