or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 236

post #3526 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

a custom AR i sank way too much into....

Man, this does not bode well with all of my other "hobbies" ha. What's the AR look like? That's next on my list.
post #3527 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfurey View Post

Man, this does not bode well with all of my other "hobbies" ha. What's the AR look like? That's next on my list.

its a daniel defense V11...15" key mod rail. geisele trigger, magpul ACS stock, eotech red dot, surefire scout with pressure switch, blueforce larry vickers sling, and an angled foregrip.

starting to think about a SBR in 300 with a can. Got my trust set up so paperwork should be a ton easier.
post #3528 of 3773
I've been thinking about the same thing for a while (SBR build 300 blackout with a can). Have my trust set up, but haven't gone forward with any of the steps yet for some reason. Not sure why.
post #3529 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while (SBR build 300 blackout with a can). Have my trust set up, but haven't gone forward with any of the steps yet for some reason. Not sure why.

its a money pit. haha. Heres the issues im dealing with... I want to just get a daniel def SBR upper, and put it on my lower. Just switch the uppers back and forth. But by doing so, my lower will have to be engraved, registered, etc. Now, im certain nothing is ever going to happen where the AR paltform will be illegal, BUT, i dont like having my only lower registered and on record. Call me crazy, just dont like it. So the other option im looking at.... theres a maker that does a 10/5" barrel with a can welded to it. which sucks because you cant move it from gun to gun, but its only ONE tax stamp, and its only for hte supressor...not considered an SBR because hte can adds the length since its welded. that would solve my problem pretty easily. But i have no experience with the maker. Im a huge daniel def fan, and really love the quality.
post #3530 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

its a money pit. haha. Heres the issues im dealing with... I want to just get a daniel def SBR upper, and put it on my lower. Just switch the uppers back and forth. But by doing so, my lower will have to be engraved, registered, etc. Now, im certain nothing is ever going to happen where the AR paltform will be illegal, BUT, i dont like having my only lower registered and on record. Call me crazy, just dont like it. So the other option im looking at.... theres a maker that does a 10/5" barrel with a can welded to it. which sucks because you cant move it from gun to gun, but its only ONE tax stamp, and its only for hte supressor...not considered an SBR because hte can adds the length since its welded. that would solve my problem pretty easily. But i have no experience with the maker. Im a huge daniel def fan, and really love the quality.

Dude, that DD set up you've already built is EXACTLY what I'm after. Care to share any photos? And how far have you shot that?

For the SBR, I'd get the DD upper and a removable can. Double tax stamp sucks, but being able to use the can on other setups is a huge selling point. I'd buy an 80% lower as well just in case anti-MURICA stuff happens in the future. They're cheap, off-the-record, and apparently anyone who can follow directions could mill one out fairly easily. Just my 2c.
post #3531 of 3773
I like DD a lot as well when it comes to parts for ARs. I'm having a hard time right now recalling what's on it, but I'm fairly positive my AR build was pretty much Mega upper and lower, Bravo Company BCG, barrel and comp, magpul grips and stock, Eotech 512, Troy tritium folding sights and DD rail. I liked my build a lot. I was trying to decide between the DD 10.3" 300 barrel or the Noveske for my SBR build, but I'm pretty sure I might replicate just about everything else from my first AR build. My brother got me a 300 BLK Eotech when I first started considering the build a couple years ago, so already have the holo sight which cuts a significant portion of my (still pretty significant, including the 2 $200 stamps) cost down.
post #3532 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfurey View Post

Dude, that DD set up you've already built is EXACTLY what I'm after. Care to share any photos? And how far have you shot that?

For the SBR, I'd get the DD upper and a removable can. Double tax stamp sucks, but being able to use the can on other setups is a huge selling point. I'd buy an 80% lower as well just in case anti-MURICA stuff happens in the future. They're cheap, off-the-record, and apparently anyone who can follow directions could mill one out fairly easily. Just my 2c.

sure thing...ill snaps some pics when i get home. Its a fuckin great rifle. Ive yet to shoot one i like nearly as much. Took it out 200 yards is all so far.

I should probably just build another lower for the SBR. just hate to spend the cash on another geisele trigger and stock.
post #3533 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

I like DD a lot as well when it comes to parts for ARs. I'm having a hard time right now recalling what's on it, but I'm fairly positive my AR build was pretty much Mega upper and lower, Bravo Company BCG, barrel and comp, magpul grips and stock, Eotech 512, Troy tritium folding sights and DD rail. I liked my build a lot. I was trying to decide between the DD 10.3" 300 barrel or the Noveske for my SBR build, but I'm pretty sure I might replicate just about everything else from my first AR build. My brother got me a 300 BLK Eotech when I first started considering the build a couple years ago, so already have the holo sight which cuts a significant portion of my (still pretty significant, including the 2 $200 stamps) cost down.

how ya liking hte eotech? i had an aimpoint pro first and went with an eotech because i wantedthe magnifier and red dot....but i quickly realized the magnifier was pointless for my use and took it off. been sitting in the safe ever since.
post #3534 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

realized the magnifier was pointless for my use and took it off.

I'd buy that... ;P
post #3535 of 3773

Get a quote for bespoke English shoes.  Everything in gun world will then seem preposterously cheap.

post #3536 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfurey View Post

I'd buy that... ;P

haha! well....its available.
post #3537 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Get a quote for bespoke English shoes.  Everything in gun world will then seem preposterously cheap.

well, not in the least. When comparing the quality level and price difference of bespoke english shoes vs. standard mens shoes .... and tehn comparing a standard mass production pistol/rifle/shotgun vs a custom..... theres a HUGE difference.

for example... a couple months back i saw 2 people buy a 1911. one was just at $700, the other was $15,000. smile.gif

YOUR ARGUMENT IS NULL AND INVALID MIMO!! :poke:
post #3538 of 3773

A few pages back, you recommended a $1k 1911 over a $5k 1911.  And that is but a particularly tarty example of a specialist gun fetish.  Because, fundamentally, you can buy a gun you love more than a Glock 19, or a SIG P229, or a S&W 686P.  But is there anything that's fundamentally better than any of them at what they do?  Sure, buy some grips that you like, get that action tweaked, etc.  But even if you spent double the purchase price on fettling and fripperies, you'd still be at half the starting price for bespoke G&G for what in every practical sense, is the best gun you could possibly get.  Sure, you could spend $15k on having solid gold dangly bits and a hand-forged Damascus slide and and and...but you could have your shoes made out of saltwater croc, mythical sea-soaked Russian reindeer and panda nipples too - it wouldn't make them better shoes.  

 

And if that doesn't work for you, how does a 586 compare to a Panerai?  Heavy, impractical, but somehow perfect...at what relative cost?  Nah mate, I'm right as right can be.  I kind of wish I lived in 'Murrica: guns are cheap. Perhaps not inherently, but certainly compared to some other SF rabbit holes.

post #3539 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

A few pages back, you recommended a $1k 1911 over a $5k 1911.  And that is but a particularly tarty example of a specialist gun fetish.  Because, fundamentally, you can buy a gun you love more than a Glock 19, or a SIG P229, or a S&W 686P.  But is there anything that's fundamentally better than any of them at what they do?  Sure, buy some grips that you like, get that action tweaked, etc.  But even if you spent double the purchase price on fettling and fripperies, you'd still be at half the starting price for bespoke G&G for what in every practical sense, is the best gun you could possibly get.  Sure, you could spend $15k on having solid gold dangly bits and a hand-forged Damascus slide and and and...but you could have your shoes made out of saltwater croc, mythical sea-soaked Russian reindeer and panda nipples too - it wouldn't make them better shoes.  

And if that doesn't work for you, how does a 586 compare to a Panerai?  Heavy, impractical, but somehow perfect...at what relative cost?  Nah mate, I'm right as right can be.  I kind of wish I lived in 'Murrica: guns are cheap. Perhaps not inherently, but certainly compared to some other SF rabbit holes.

still wrong. wink.gif Keep in mind you can have custom made bespoke shotguns....all hand made and hand fitted. nothign special...just steel and wood. no panda nipples at all. but theyll go for the price of a car.
post #3540 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

still wrong. wink.gif Keep in mind you can have custom made bespoke shotguns....all hand made and hand fitted. nothign special...just steel and wood. no panda nipples at all. but theyll go for the price of a car.

And in the case of a "London Best" gun, a very fine car at that!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread