or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 189

post #2821 of 3155
Plastic guns created by those 3D printers = > Crocs shoes .
post #2822 of 3155
I have a small Sig .380. I think I'll put back in action for early morning jogs. My guys knocked the back sight off it when blocking a holster with it. Dumb @&$)!!

There are so many gun part sites. Which one is reliable?
post #2823 of 3155
Midway & Brownell's the favorites of just about everyone. And they were fairly priced during the shortages and stuff 10-12 months ago.
post #2824 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yeah, I've found out it's really not hard to spend the value of a nice used motorcycle on some optics.

 

Don't even ask what this puppy costs (NightForce NXT).

 

 

 

But really, optics for a .22 does not need to be ridiculous at all.

 

~ H

post #2825 of 3155

Incidentally, am I the only shooter on the planet that dislikes the AR? I can't ever imagine wanting one or wanting to shoot one. Too damn ugly.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

That's right. I should have said "Unsupported", because it is definitely NOT bench rested, nor is it close to it.

 

Well, I disagree, but as it is not a defined position, reasonable people can disagree about it. That whole etymological trope was weird if you just misspoke though.

 

~H

post #2826 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Don't even ask what this puppy costs (NightForce NXT).





But really, optics for a .22 does not need to be ridiculous at all.

~ H

Yup, think I could get a nice classic bike in good condition for that.
post #2827 of 3155
@Huntsmen you need to try out the nemo omen 300 win mag. That will change your mind about the AR platform.

Deer season starts saturday:slayer: for all the hunters out there do you think I can get away with a 7mm with a 120grain round ? I won't have a shot further than 200 yards or should I shout with a 150grain?
post #2828 of 3155
he doesn't like the AR... I guess it's not sophisticated enough for you... GTFO...
post #2829 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

@Huntsmen you need to try out the nemo omen 300 win mag. That will change your mind about the AR platform.

Deer season starts saturday:slayer: for all the hunters out there do you think I can get away with a 7mm with a 120grain round ? I won't have a shot further than 200 yards or should I shout with a 150grain?


I mean, I don't know. It isn't as ugly as most, but I think I would still rather prefer my Rem. 700 Classic in .300 Win Mag unless this does something remarkable. For the money, I would probably go Armalite AR-30 in .338 or a Remington 40-XB or equivalent.

 

When I hunted, I carried a 7mm/08 with 140gr (ish) bullets. 120gr is not too light, but lighter than I prefer. 100 gr was, in my mind, marginal for whitetail, so 120's right in the middle.


~ H

post #2830 of 3155
I will let you know what I end up with. I am leaning toward the 120 but have no problem with a 140 or 150 grain. Thanks.
post #2831 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
 

That whole etymological trope was weird if you just misspoke though.

 

~H

 

Get over it.

post #2832 of 3155
Over what?
post #2833 of 3155
The whole AR cult has always been a little surprising to me. For about the first 25 years it was on the market commercially, it was despised and held in much the same disdain as the M1 carbine by most true-blue, all-American gun guys--a tinny, plasticky, unreliable "mousegun" or "poodle shooter" fobbed off on our fighting men (as we then called them) by the "best and brightest" of the McNamara Defense Department, a most unworthy successor to our "manly" service rifles like the M1 Garand and M14.

Then, suddenly, about 20 years ago, their popularity just skyrocketed. If you didn't like them, you were at worst a traitor to the Second Amendment, at best a reactionary "Fudd." A lot of this change may have been the result of their becoming the forbidden fruit because of threats of increased government regulation or outright prohibition. At least one commentator believed that their frequent appearance as weaponry in video games may also have greatly boosted their popularity.

I think of what one very gunwise alumnus of my old prep school is supposed to have said: "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
post #2834 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

The whole AR cult has always been a little surprising to me. For about the first 25 years it was on the market commercially, it was despised and held in much the same disdain as the M1 carbine by most true-blue, all-American gun guys--a tinny, plasticky, unreliable "mousegun" or "poodle shooter" fobbed off on our fighting men (as we then called them) by the "best and brightest" of the McNamara Defense Department, a most unworthy successor to our "manly" service rifles like the M1 Garand and M14.

Then, suddenly, about 20 years ago, their popularity just skyrocketed. If you didn't like them, you were at worst a traitor to the Second Amendment, at best a reactionary "Fudd." A lot of this change may have been the result of their becoming the forbidden fruit because of threats of increased government regulation or outright prohibition. At least one commentator believed that their frequent appearance as weaponry in video games may also have greatly boosted their popularity.

I think of what one very gunwise alumnus of my old prep school is supposed to have said: "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun."

The AR platform is the new generation of hunting rifle. Hunters in their 20's,30's and even 40's enjoy the look of the rifle and the ability to give them what they want.
You have so many calibers to choose from that fit the platform. I enjoy the rifle because of my military background. I see it as a hunting rifle and a tactical rifle. 2 birds with one stone.
post #2835 of 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

The AR platform is the new generation of hunting rifle. Hunters in their 20's,30's and even 40's enjoy the look of the rifle and the ability to give them what they want.
You have so many calibers to choose from that fit the platform. I enjoy the rifle because of my military background. I see it as a hunting rifle and a tactical rifle. 2 birds with one stone.

And apparently well after their 40s, if we include you.

Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel, and the electric eel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread