or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 181

post #2701 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This is all too complicated for me. I've decided to buy an AR because I think it'll be fun to shoot at the range and I'm going to keep it locked up and put a baseball bat by the side of my bed.

at the end of the day, that's the reason I bought mine (I have 4 now...shog[1].gif)... well and in case of a zombie apocalypse happy.gif

just get the one you like and have fun... nod[1].gif
post #2702 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This is all too complicated for me. I've decided to buy an AR because I think it'll be fun to shoot at the range and I'm going to keep it locked up and put a baseball bat by the side of my bed.

 

Probably a good choice. Nothing wrong with wanting an AR for fun.

post #2703 of 2977
Hickok45 goes against the conventional wisdom recently expressed here. At about 12 minutes he even says the AR will over penetrate less than the 12 gauge.

post #2704 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Hickok45 goes against the conventional wisdom recently expressed here. At about 12 minutes he even says the AR will over penetrate less than the 12 gauge.


Well, he's got a bit of a strawman against the shotgun. First, most people who recommend shotguns recommend somewhere between #1 and #4 shot not #00. For the penetration reasons and spread #4 shot, won't be a huge spread, but certainly bigger than baseball size from about 10 yards. Also, they tend to recommend pumps or semi-autos for the reloading reasons. Furthermore, this is the reason some people recommend a 20GA, a lot less recoil and it will do comparable damage.
post #2705 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Well, he's got a bit of a strawman against the shotgun. First, most people who recommend shotguns recommend somewhere between #1 and #4 shot not #00. For the penetration reasons and spread #4 shot, won't be a huge spread, but certainly bigger than baseball size from about 10 yards. Also, they tend to recommend pumps or semi-autos for the reloading reasons. Furthermore, this is the reason some people recommend a 20GA, a lot less recoil and it will do comparable damage.

I'll leave the experts here to argue with this guy who is also supposedly an expert. Just found it interesting my choice for home defense is apparently not as outlandish as the last two pages would seem to indicate.
post #2706 of 2977
5.56mm M855 from a bbl with 1/9 or 1/7 twist will go through a whole house. From 1/12 it will probably still do so, but with severe deviation from POA.
5.56mm M193 will penetrate less, light comm'l HPs MAY lose lethal velocity after going through one or more walls.

Virtually all defensive pistol ammo will still have lethal velocity after going thru a couple wallboards. Even Glasers. If you believe Brassfetcher, Federal Guard Dog (downloaded EFMJ) will actually lose more velocity after going thru wallboard than Glasers.

00 Buck will also penetrate wallboard. Most folks worried about penetration recommend birdshot, which is suboptimal for incapacitation.

Don't worry about overpenetration. Worry about being sure of your target and hitting it.
post #2707 of 2977
Everyone is making valid points. Pionaire , I suggest taking a tactical or home defense class. They 're fun and you will learn a lot. Going to the range isn't going to cut it. You might find out that a shotgun is better suited for you or you might find the AR is better.
I would safely argue that the majority of the guys on this thread are seasoned shooters , former, or active military/ law enforcement . They know their way around a firearm and are comfortable in their ability to handle themselves properly in a low light / no light situation and dealing with a moving target which is a potential threat.
I hate to quote G.I. joe but knowing is half the battle. I personally think you should have a semi automatic rifle , shotgun, and pistol. Each serve a different purpose. All 3 have their advantages and disadvantages but you should be comfortable knowing what will work best for you at any given time.

Gun guys love to talk about guns and argue no matter what. I bet we could start a thread about D.I. Vs. short gas pistons and the thread would live a healthy life just because of people arguing which ones better. You have to make the best choices for you and you alone because when the shit goes down you are all you have. You dig?
post #2708 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

5.56mm M855 from a bbl with 1/9 or 1/7 twist will go through a whole house.

 

This.

post #2709 of 2977
I can throw out a 100 handgun loads that will go through a house. The real point of the argument boils down to this. You select ammo based on a set of criteria. If over penetration is your prime concern then you get ammo that is designed to mitigate that. If penetration and the ability to defeat barriers is your prime concern then you get ammo that performs that duty. Ammo selection is as important, if not more so, than what gun you use. Take that with a grain of salt too because you can pick the wrong gun for the job as well.

Piob, an AR15 is a formidable personal protection firearm suited for a wide range of applications. In your specific case I would recommend a hollowpoint in the 50gr weight range. Over penetration becomes less of an issue and it'll stop anyone in their tracks pretty much instantly with a well placed shot.

Now there's something else that hasn't been touched on. How many of you have fired a high intensity rifle round in a building without hearing protection? How about a high intensity magnum handgun?
post #2710 of 2977
^ was reading about this the other day... somebody recommended ear protection together with your home defense gun. This seems somewhat sketchy to me, I'd want to be able to hear what's going on, my family, etc. Having said that I can only imagine shooting at 12 gauge in a confined space. The shock and concussion must be terrible. I guess the other option is to shoot suppressed, which pretty much leaves the shotgun out of the equation.
post #2711 of 2977
I have ear protection that muffles the gun and at the same time amplifies people's voices. It's also blue tooth enable. Hearing protection has come a long way.
post #2712 of 2977
what kind/brand are those ?
post #2713 of 2977
Just got back from a very enjoyable few hours at the range. Now, keep in mind I have shot long guns exactly three times in the last 25 years or so. I shared up thread that about a month ago I was out in the mountains with friends and shot his Ruger 10/22 and had such a blast (pun intended) I went and got one a few weeks ago. So this is my third range trip with my 10/22, second with the $37 Simons scope (Jan suggested Simons). I have never zeroed a scope in my life and basically watched a bunch of youtubes from that former Ranger sniper team leader and sniper instructor, Ryan Cleckner, to learn how to do it.

Now that you have the full blown back story of my long gun amateurishness....

This was at 100 yards and was my second target sheet after getting it grossly in. I went clockwise from lower left, meaning lower right was the last group, then the middle. Be kind.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8F7B1ABA-5F23-440E-AFAB-BB6824822917-1661-000000A9373B845F_zpsd3c611b1.jpg
post #2714 of 2977
Very nice, piob. Certainly more accurate than I am.

That being said, why are you shooting guns and not at work?!
post #2715 of 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Very nice, piob. Certainly more accurate than I am.

That being said, why are you shooting guns and not at work?!

'Cause I've been working my ass off and decided to play hookey for the day. smile.gif

Thanks on the kudos. Can't wait to see if I can improve my groupings with better breathe and trigger control and think I should still dial the scope down a half MOA or so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread