or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun Appreciation Thread - Page 132

post #1966 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Please post a review when feasible. I'm curious know what the trigger reset is like.

I've shot the 9mm version. More or less it resets when the trigger is fully forward. I really wish people wouldn't be so concerned with this if the firearm is being used primarily for self defense. Best practice is to always work the trigger from a fully forward position. Under extreme stress you won't be able to short stroke it anyway. The added benefit is you can pick up any DAO type of handgun and fire it without thinking. If you think short stroking a trigger is really faster then you haven't had the pleasure of watching Jerry Miculek shoot his revolver. He shoots that thing faster than almost anyone who's shoots a SA semi automatic.
post #1967 of 3062

I respectfully disagree.  But I have seen a handful of people who are remarkably fast with a double action revolver.  Sadly, there are few capable of this even with extensive practice.

 

I don't understand the concept of "short stroking".  If the trigger resets very quickly why would you let it out all the way?  This invariably leads to "slapping" the trigger (unless you're Jerry Miculek).

post #1968 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I respectfully disagree.  But I have seen a handful of people who are remarkably fast with a double action revolver.  Sadly, there are few capable of this even with extensive practice.

I don't understand the concept of "short stroking".  If the trigger resets very quickly why would you let it out all the way?  This invariably leads to "slapping" the trigger (unless you're Jerry Miculek).

It doesn't lead to slapping the trigger. Trigger slapping is poor trigger control and nothing else. This whole trigger reset thing is a by product of games and is almost never taught in training that revolves using a firearm in a defensive situation. The fine motor skills aren't going to be there. It's also counter productive because if you end up stuck having to use a firearm that you're not very familiar you could end up with a fire once scenario and then a whole hosts of oh shits can emerge. I've watched plenty of Glock guys shoot a DAO revolver and short stroke it. It's funny on a casual firing line, not so in a real street situation. If you want a SA trigger style then get a SA gun.
post #1969 of 3062
Trigger reset is not taught anywhere? This tells me that your training is severely out of date. And, yes, slapping is poor trigger control. The more you have to move the trigger the more likely you are to screw it up.
post #1970 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Trigger reset is not taught anywhere? This tells me that your training is severely out of date. And, yes, slapping is poor trigger control. The more you have to move the trigger the more likely you are to screw it up.

It's taught in more advanced courses and usually revolves around Glocks more than anything else. I'm very much aware of what it is however I also know not to teach it to beginners or intermediate shooters.
post #1971 of 3062

OK, that's a bit more reasonable.  Although I still disagree that this is an advanced skill.  It's just a matter of understanding the firearm you are using.  If it's a Glock, great.  Glock shines with regard to trigger reset (one of the reasons it's so popular).  The HK LEM trigger is a close second with the DA/SA Sig Sauer also in contention.

 

Trigger reset is a basic skill despite the fact that the reset is different depending upon the type of firearm.  It is a training issue.  Teach people to feel the reset instead of "stroking" the trigger.  Start slow, then speed up.

 

If you are constantly changing gun platforms, you are going to have problems.  If you don't, then you are not exploiting the advantages of the weapon system, such as the short and tight trigger reset on a Glock.  It's like driving a Porsche in second gear.  What's the point?

post #1972 of 3062

+1 for HK LEM trigger... love having that reset on my hk45c.

post #1973 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

OK, that's a bit more reasonable.  Although I still disagree that this is an advanced skill.  It's just a matter of understanding the firearm you are using.  If it's a Glock, great.  Glock shines with regard to trigger reset (one of the reasons it's so popular).  The HK LEM trigger is a close second with the DA/SA Sig Sauer also in contention.

Trigger reset is a basic skill despite the fact that the reset is different depending upon the type of firearm.  It is a training issue.  Teach people to feel the reset instead of "stroking" the trigger.  Start slow, then speed up.

If you are constantly changing gun platforms, you are going to have problems.  If you don't, then you are not exploiting the advantages of the weapon system, such as the short and tight trigger reset on a Glock.  It's like driving a Porsche in second gear.  What's the point?

I understand what you are saying completely. BTW trigger reset is not a prime reason why Glocks are so popular. They are insanely reliable, durable and easy to manipulate along with a having a great price point, that is why they are so popular. We'll have to agree to disagree on whether or not trigger reset is an advanced skill or not. In my circles and apparently in yours it's not a big deal. It's all part of the follow through. Keep in mind that our respective skill sets in the eyes of a typical civilian is probably way above anything they would want to be involved in.
post #1974 of 3062

Agreed.

post #1975 of 3062
Here is the BEFORE pic:



1990 FN Hi Power (Mk2.5) from the Israeli border guards. I'm going to switch to a no-bite ring hammer, some Novak sights, give in a trigger a tune, throat and polish the feed ramp and then parkerized refinish.

I sold my AKS74 to fund this project - which was supposed to be purely a range/target pistol (I don't like SA for carry and try to stay with just 2 carry pistols with identical controls). Not planning to buy a holster for it.
post #1976 of 3062
going to the gun show this weekend to find my first gun. looking for a cheaper tactical style 22. any suggestions on brands?

Looking at the mossberg 22 ar style for a cheapo option.
post #1977 of 3062

I have limited experience with the 22s but I have seen issues with the guns like the Walther P22 in terms of cycling the action.  Just keep in mind that you may need heavier ammo like the CCI MiniMag to keep the gun running.  Then again, some of my associates have AR conversions and HK clones that run fine with any ammo.

 

Best of luck.

post #1978 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

I just bought this this morning for concealed carry. I'm anxious to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Please post a review when feasible. I'm curious know what the trigger reset is like.

Well I put 200 rounds through it this past weekend with disappointing results. I chose this gun because of positive reviews on the YouTubes/internets, small size, and the bargain price I got. While I like the feel, size, and the longish but smooth trigger pull of the gun the thing consistently would not fully cycle rounds. I had to continually rack the slide because after one, two, or three shots the following round would not fully seat itself.

When I got home I got on the internets and found that this is a problem in some Kahrs that 1) stops after a break in of 200 rounds, 2) sometimes is corrected by various fixes including sending it back to the manufacturer, 3) does not occur if you break down the gun and thoroughly clean and oil before initial shooting (which I didn't do) and 4) only happens to some of the guns. Other Kahr owners love them and never had problems.

I'm going to give it another go this weekend (I've since cleaned and oiled it) and see how it goes. If it does it again I think I'm going to trade it in for a Glock 27. I really want to keep this gun because of the size and feel but I need to trust it because I'll be using it for concealed carry. I know Glocks are great reliable guns but I'm hoping to keep the Kahr because it is so much smaller and thiner.
post #1979 of 3062

Get the Glock 27.  Glocks are workhorse guns that require very little maintenance and still function even if you break a rail or trigger spring.

post #1980 of 3062

If automatic pistol, IMO a Colt 1911  45 caliber ACP is a much better personal defense handgun than a 9mm.

It was a favorite of the 1930s gangsters for good reason..............But then I'm "old school".

 

The new Glocks and such in 40 cal. etc, are much lighter, making them easier to carry & conceal.

 

An older "Lady Smith" in 9mm is a decent, easy to carry /conceal as it's on a smaller frame than "men's" 9mms

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gun Appreciation Thread