or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Aussie members - Dress Shirts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aussie members - Dress Shirts? - Page 4

post #46 of 80
true that.. i probably should have said "bespoke"..

still.. it doesn't seem too bad for mtm in melbourne.
post #47 of 80
Rhodes & Becketts have some beautiful business and fashion shirts. If you are in Melbourne, head down to Collins street and pick up a bargain (50% off).
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbk View Post
Rhodes & Becketts have some beautiful business and fashion shirts. If you are in Melbourne, head down to Collins street and pick up a bargain (50% off).

Hmmm.... At 50% off, the price almost becomes acceptable.

I really do think that Australia needs a couple of shirt retailers like Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. Frankly, shirts from both Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin are just as good as shirts from places like Herringbone, MCM, Shirt Studio, Rhodes and Beckett, Edward Stripe or any other such manufacturer - but they are available on perma-sale and usually cost about $50 a shirt, even with postage.

This is why I feel frustrated by Australian shirt retailers - despite making the shirts in third-world countries, with the concomitant savings in production costs, it seems that $180 is the ordained price for such shirts here in Australia. I thought that competition was supposed to lower prices, but every time another manufacturer (such as Rhodes and Beckett) opens up, they charge just as much as everyone else!
post #49 of 80
I am not a marketer but I believe the game is to charge what the market will accept and pocket the difference as profit. I guess that some people must accept since these businesses haven't gone bust.
post #50 of 80
I'm loath to pay full retail for Rhodes & Beckett shirts. Since they're forever on sale, it's suicidal to pay $140-$180. I'm willing to pay $80-$100 when they're on sale, but at other times I'd rather pay $65 and get some throwaway Brooksfield shirts!
post #51 of 80
Has anyone heard of Ingram shirts?

They retails OTR at Vince Maloney and Monza, both in Sydney.

They look quite nice but I'm not sure if I should give them a go.

Cool Breeze

BTW: Just commissioned one shirt with Charles Nakhle in Parramatta and I'll probably collect it this weekend. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
post #52 of 80
..
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkur View Post
Ingram are actually made by Inghirami if I'm not mistaken. I think that they're decent shirts although the one Ingram shirt that I have has massively long sleeves and one of the gauntlet buttonholes is unfinished for some reason - poor quality control?; at least they have mother of pearl buttons. I think they are a bit expensive for what you get though.

Thanks, friend.
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
I'm willing to pay $80-$100 when they're on sale, but at other times I'd rather pay $65 and get some throwaway Brooksfield shirts!

I actually quite liked Brooksfield shirts, I'm wearing one right now. The only problem is after 2 washes it has shrunk slightly and now doesn't fit right. The collar is still perfect (37) but the arms are not as long as they once were, and the 38 is sloppy on me.

Perhaps it's time to measure myself up and get a made to measure shirt.
post #55 of 80
Yeah I actually have a fair number of Brooksfields - I'm not earning an income that allows Herringbone, B&K, Rhodes etc on a regular basis.

I used to find their sleeves were too short so stopped buying, but they're re-cut and lengthened the sleeves. At their price point I can't think of any other better shirt option. Never noticed the shrinkage...
post #56 of 80
Another vote for Charles Nakhle from me. I've got about 8 shirts from him and plan to order another couple this week. My first shirt was ready in 48 hours (I was expecting 2 weeks based on my previous bespoke experience with JH Cutler). Fit was perfect, damn good value at $200 (I'm smaller than most so he charges me less than usual) and loads of really nice fabrics available. He's a really nice guy too. Cheers, Craig
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
Another vote for Charles Nakhle from me. I've got about shirts from him and plan to order another couple this week. My first shirt was ready in 48 hours (I was expecting 2 weeks based on my previous bespoke experience with JH Cutler). Fit was perfect, damn good value at $200 (I'm smaller than most so he charges me less than usual) and loads of really nice fabrics available. He's a really nice guy too. Cheers, Craig
How much does a bespoke shirt from J H Cutler cost?
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
Yeah I actually have a fair number of Brooksfields - I'm not earning an income that allows Herringbone, B&K, Rhodes etc on a regular basis.

I used to find their sleeves were too short so stopped buying, but they're re-cut and lengthened the sleeves. At their price point I can't think of any other better shirt option. Never noticed the shrinkage...

It's only slight but it means it went from perfect fit, to just uncomfortable. I might try buying 38s and getting the button on the collar re-located for my thin neck.
post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shraka View Post
It's only slight but it means it went from perfect fit, to just uncomfortable. I might try buying 38s and getting the button on the collar re-located for my thin neck.

If you plan on wearing a tie with that and only relocate the collar button odds are really good that will ruin the line of the shirt when you're wearing it and it will look slightly lopsided. Maybe talk to a tailor about it but based on a similar experience I'm almost certain this will happen.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned kelly View Post
How much does a bespoke shirt from J H Cutler cost?

I think he's stopped doing shirts now, that's why I searched out another shirtmaker but it depended on the fabric. Some of mine cost $349 and some were $249. I'd say the quality of the fabrics I've got from Charles for $200 is comparable with the $349 ones from JH Cutler.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Aussie members - Dress Shirts?