A few Toronto tips
1) For transit, if you are going to be here for a week, get a weekly pass, lets you on and off the TTC as much as you want. Day passess are also available.
2) Eats on Queen West, west of Bathurst east to west - Little Tibet (tibetan),Chippies (fish and chips), swan (ok modern interpretations of comfort food) Addis Abbaba(Ethiopian), Ali's Roti (a bit far west but worth the trip)
3) Eats on Queen West, east of Bathurst - west to east - Albert's Real Jerk (get the seaweed shake or homemade ginger beer), Fressen (vegetarian gourmet)
4) Kensington Market area for shopping and food- north of dundas and west spadina, real close to queen west. Check out Torito for tapas.
5) Distillery District is pretty good, but closes early. Take the king car east to Parliament and walk down. Have a mill street stock ale at the brewery.
6) High end eats - Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar (Church and Front, no reservations taken, king of the local food movement)
7) Drinking - Horseshoe Tavern, a Toronto classic (queen st), Sneaky Dees (punk tex mex - college street at bathurst)
8) If you go to Yorkville, walk west along Bloor into the Annex neighbourhood, must see Honest Eds and the university girls. Check out Sushi on Bloor(south side of street). You'll also get to see the crystal at the ROM.
9) You may also want to check out College Street, west of Bathurst - Little Italy, lots of restaurants and patios, some shopping. If you are into eye wear check out Rapp Optical.
(10) Bring comfortable shoes, everything is walkable and connected by neighbourhoods that are safe to walk through regradless of the time of day (queen and bathurst is a bit sketchy, but safe)
Hope these help, any specific questions, ask away. It is really hot and humid here right now.