• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent suit in Australia

staralfur

Reaction score
Hi. Just recently found this site while looking for some info on RM Williams boots.

I'm in the market for a suit for work, job interviews, etc (would be my first suit)

Problem is I'm in Australia (Melbourne specifically). From what I've seen there is a lot of crap out there, but what are my options for something decent but not overly expensive?

I've done enough reading to know basic things like the difference between a fused and canvased suit, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for brands that are available locally?

Budget wise I'm thinking of something like $1000-1500 AUD - is this reasonable?

Edit: I should add that I am quite slim (29" waist, 36" chest) and tall - most of the suits I've seen while casually browsing through the department stores here seem to be made for much bigger men.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically you can forget about getting a decent ready to wear lounge suit in Australia. If you go to David Jones during a sale you might score a Zegna in your size within your stated price range. Other than that all you will find are nasty Chinese glue jobs.

If you ever come to Sydney on business I can recommend one Italian tailor (Sam Disano) who can make an excellent machine made suit within your price range. From previous discussions, there appears to a dearth of tailors in Melbourne able to make a bespoke suit for anything under about four times your upper limit.

There was a recent discussion on this very topic here, so check the search engine.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sarti are currently advertising a sale of "up to 50%" off Cantarelli. That might bring them into your price range; worth a look anyway. You could also duck into Henry Bucks and see if any of their sale Canalis are left (althoguth the sale actually ended Saturday).

Confucius

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread.

Are there any recs for suit brands I should check out for slim fitting suits in Melbourne? Satch suits fit me nicely (and I'll get stoned for saying that, but they do) but the patterns/fabrics are hardly classic. Rhodes & Beckett also fit ok, but are just a tad too billowy compared to my Satch suits.

Price range I'm looking at is around AUD$800-$900. Not much to work with I know, but I don't have the earning power of some of you
laugh.gif

Cheers!

ajn946

Reaction score
I am not sure if they have a shop in Melbourne, but there is a designer called Brent Wilson who has some pretty nice stuff compared to the likes of the copiers (Calibre, AG etc). They do a "bespoke" suit as they call it for 800-900 depending on fabric. I quizzed them on the make of the suit, and they showed me a few examples and whilst the quality is average they tend to be better than other OTR suits you can get for that price. So maybe you can contact them as even their OTR suits were very well cut.

Confucius

Reaction score
Thanks mate I'll see if a google search will turn him up. I think I came across his name in GQ - he might be the one that uses some funky software to give you a 'preview' of what your suit will look like once finished. A bit like choosing car colours.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Ludlows in Lonsdale Street. They are the country's primary legal wear supplier but have access to suits which would fall well within your price range.

tanalasta

Reaction score
David Jones have a very nice sale (in Perth) anyway starting today so you may get lucky. And you're even luckier being in Melbourne as that's one of the better places in Australia to shop.

You'll be lucky to get a canvassed suit in that price-range in Australia, unless you manage to find a good Canali on sale. You can also try Anthony Squires for bespoke suits - the customer service at the Melbourne outlet is way better than the where I live.

misterjase

Reaction score
I'd recommend you see Adriano Carbone in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne for a made-to-measure number (i trusted him with bespoke in H.Lesser and was thrilled with the result).

Tell him what your budget is and work with him with cloth selection and suit construction and he'll make sure you are sorted.

neyus

Reaction score
If you're Melbourne try the following:

*Sarti: Cantarelli
*Herringbone (Japanese suits for your price range - particularly on sale)
*Rhodes & Beckett (I think around the $800-1000) Half Canvas I believe with Canvassed Lapels.
*DJs - Zegna, Durban, Paul Smith (Some PS is half canvas construction)
*Henry Bucks (Kent & Curwen, Canali/Corneliani (I forgot what they sell).

With all of the above, I would wait till Sales Time.

I'm afraid Anthony Squires is slightly lacking in Quality and Style, though better than most of the Chinese and New Zealand Glue Jobs out there.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I thought that they were made in China or Singapore the last time I checked the inside of one of their coats. It definitely wasn't Japanese.
I too was under the above impression until recently. They have introduced a Made in Japan line, very well priced & minimal padding - I would have purchased one to test if they weren't 1.5" too long for my liking. S/coat approx A$800 - $900 & suits about A$1500 - A$1800. Not bad for a made in Japan suit

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again I see no reason to buy RTW here when bespoke can be had for reasonable prices. RTW is frightfully overpriced in Australia. Even the cheap and nasty stuff here is monstrously overpriced. A $1200 lounge suit from David Jones costs about $200 to make and import from China.

sogg

Reaction score
I recently bought a suit from satch, Im pretty happy with it, i dont wear suits everyday. Whats everyone else think of there quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads