• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baroque, your thoughts

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an off-offshoot of Matt's thread and the Pollock thread...what are your thoughts of the baroque style as manifested in art and architecture?
cid_1036319592_DSCN0423.jpg
cid_1027617278_vierzehnheiligen1.jpg
cid_1123538725_05179v.jpg
PicForNewsletterItalyMarch2005CHURCHATnIGHT.JPG
Ds75m.jpg
kirche-raum1.jpg
127.jpg
rubens123.JPG
Caravaggio-Crucifixion_of_Peter.jpg
Chateau-de-maison-lafitte.jpg
poussin_sabine.jpg
msv17.jpg

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In comparison, I think the constant streamlining of the 20th century has its own limitations. The oppulence of the Baroque set a benchmark.I certainly love the painting from this era.
I wonder if sometimes if our current age is just as lavish with sheer quantity and excess, only in the form of technology /information.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baroque to me, can be as untenable as severity. I like some of what 'the baroque,' can do. One good baroque piece, can do plenty for a room. It could overwhelm a room, as well. Used with skill, I can deal with baroque. In the right environment, against a setting that might need a little baroque, for amusement or accent. An entirely baroque decor, is not generally to my taste.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Baroque. In fact, it's either minimalism of the Modernist period(Loos, '60s Danish design, etc.) and high Baroque and Rococo for me.
D_Dresden_Zwinger_Palace.jpg
pa11.jpg
F00006.JPG

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't think much of what I had seen, but at the Vatican I was constantly picking my jaw up off the floor. I was so thoroughly impressed by it all. Not that I'd do up my house like that, though.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One of my favorite Baroque periods is Spanish Baroque. There's something almost grotesque about it:

fall06specex_08.jpg

Yes, Spanish Baroque has a very odd feeling to it. Especially Velazquez.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yes, Spanish Baroque has a very odd feeling to it. Especially Velazquez.

I love Spanish painting. The full weight of royal glory and high Roman Catholic devotion combined with imperial incest comes together in some uncanny parcel:

71629~Infanta-Isabella-Clara-Eugenia-Daughter-of-King-Philip-II-of-Spain-and-Isabella-of-Valois-1599-Posters.jpg

Infanta_Juana_of_Spain1.jpg

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The paintigof the period is generally decent, Nothing that i would really want to put in my apartement though
everything else is overdone.
roccoco is worse than baroque for me though.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Spanish painting.
I do too, Label King. Las Meninas is my favorite. Spanish ships, as well. And the jewelry.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it. The modern stuff seems polar opposite, and I can see why a lot of people favor the more simple stuff these days. None of the modern stuff seems as luxurious though.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I prefer Victorian, seems like a nice middle ground between grandeur and spartanism.

However, if I were forced to choose between minimalist modernist or baroque, I'd go with baroque. Modern is good, but minimalist modern seems to take it to a far extreme that it pointy and uncomfortable.

On the other hand, of course, extreme baroque is just busy and head spinning. Too much opulence going on in one place. Ceiling and wall murals on everything, gold plated/painted walls, cornices all up in the indoors, seems to be silly to me.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What we need is minimalist baroque
laugh.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it, but I wouldn't want it in my home.

Visiting the old mansions in Newport is a great trip if you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads