or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ideas for what to wear/do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ideas for what to wear/do?

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
Well, tomorrow I need to meet with some of the international managers, now the problem is that it will be on site, at a steel mill. Therefore, I have advised participants at the meeting that a full suit is not required. However, as my ignorance would have it, I have failed to think what would be appropriate attire. You see the thing is, some may turn up in work wear, whereas others may turn up in a dress shirt and trousers, and others in jeans. It is now too late to advise a dress code, as the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning, in the west (of England) and I will be taking a flight from London City Airport to a small regional airport in the area. Moreover, as many international employees will be attending - it is now impossible to inform them, as the local time is 12.46 am. I personally will be wearing a black and white dress shirt, and black trousers. However, I am unsure what others will be wearing. Thus, I need suggestions as to what you think the employees will wear. In addition, do you think I should dress differently? I would not like to cause embarrassment to any employee, e.g. one who turns up in jeans, when everyone else is wearing semi-formal wears, as it would indeed be my fault, due to a lack of given information. Many thanks,
post #2 of 84
if you have a company mascot, you could surprise everyone and come dressed in the mascot costume. i guess maybe that's not too helpful. think of it this way: the leaders who try to be a 'man of the people' typically end up with that tactic backfiring on them. unless they have a known history of climbing from the bottom up, in which case they can play that card. so, if you're a prince, don't dress like a pauper. it's condescending. you don't want them to think you're slumming when you visit. just be who you are. but you knew that already... check out 'The 48 Laws of Power' by ...Robert Greene (i think). lots of good stuff in there, mostly not about clothes. /andrew - future owner of the world (or so it says in my contract)
post #3 of 84
After working in Steel your whole life, I'm sure that you have been in this type of this situation before. What did you do last time? Surely this can't be the first time you meet with employees in your steel mill.
post #4 of 84
Thread Starter 
Faustian, I think you misunderstood; I will wear what I have said - unless anyone is overtly against that here. Mike, note the problems in this specific scenario, I have only said that a suit is not needed, think how many things that could mean, some may even take it as, turn up in your pajamas, in the past, there have only ever been 2 formal meetings on site; and previously we had been dressed in suits, and this was impractical. As you may be able to perceive it is very rare that a meeting takes place outside of a board room, especially one involving myself, as I do not particularly need to attend many site meetings myself.
post #5 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
think of it this way: the leaders who try to be a 'man of the people' typically end up with that tactic backfiring on them. unless they have a known history of climbing from the bottom up, in which case they can play that card.
What I am trying to say is that there may not be uniformity in the dress. I will not be dressed worse than the employees under any circumstances. As the quality and design of my attire will always be superior, be it casual or formal. For example, someone may turn up in a suit from H&M, and I may be wearing a Kiton dress shirt, with no suit or tie, now who is better dressed? (obviously fit and design being good are assumed here)
post #6 of 84
What exactly is the problem? If everyone is comfortable there should be no issue as you stated suits were not required. I find the fact that you even worry about such a thing as more than a bit ridiculous. Thanks for the best laugh all day.
post #7 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
What exactly is the problem? If everyone is comfortable there should be no issue as you stated suits were not required. I find the fact that you even worry about such a thing as more than a bit ridiculous. Thanks for the best laugh all day.
Yes, but in my opinion I feel that semi-formal attire is still needed, e.g. a shirt and trousers. However, I feel that may not have been portrayed. (This is so to say; the problem) Comfort is certainly not an issue.. Comfort is never an issue.. I cannot understand what you mean by that? Perhaps you meant practical, as a suit is impratical on site. Why do I worry; because several out-of-house reps. will attend the meeting, thus a certain image must be portrayed. In addition, the embaressment of an employee as a result of my lack of given information, will, at worst lead to a reduced quaity of work ethic in my company, which is certainly not desired.
post #8 of 84
Quote:
After working in Steel your whole life, I'm sure that you have been in this type of this situation before. What did you do last time? Surely this can't be the first time you meet with employees in your steel mill.
Faustian... This buds for you... I see your Blue pant post and raise you... Been a long day. JJF
post #9 of 84
Thread Starter 
Good idea FIH, but I think maybe a Crown would be better. But really brains (and perhaps more so, an understanding of what is said) and maturity, is severly lacking here.
post #10 of 84
I think the situation basically takes care of itself -- because it is a work site, all rules go straight out the window. Thus, if an employee has dressed "too far down" there is a ready made excuse (an unspoken one) on the part of both the employee himself and the third-party observer, viz. "he didn't want to get his good clothes dirty." So, I don't think anyone will be uncomfortable if they are over or underdressed.
post #11 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I think the situation basically takes care of itself -- because it is a work site, all rules go straight out the window.  Thus, if an employee has dressed "too far down" there is a ready made excuse (an unspoken one) on the part of both the employee himself and the third-party observer, viz. "he didn't want to get his good clothes dirty."  So, I don't think anyone will be uncomfortable if they are over or underdressed.
Thank You . A reply which made sense, and related to the original question.
post #12 of 84
I was a moot court champion in law school -- I was trained to answer the question posed.
post #13 of 84
One just took for granted that you hired reasonably intelligent individuals who would dress appropriately for the workplace and the fact that you were so concerned showed that you were worried that you had made several hiring mistakes. I remain amused.
post #14 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
One just took for granted that you hired reasonably intelligent individuals who would dress appropriately for the workplace and the fact that you were so concerned showed that you were worried that you had made several hiring mistakes. I remain amused.
I do not hire myself, that is of course the HRM Department's issue. I doubt that dressing aptly is a major factor in the hire process.
post #15 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I remain amused.
Good for your sense of humor then.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ideas for what to wear/do?