or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit - Page 2

post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwb32 View Post

my only complaint would be calling someone 5'8" short when the avg height of american men is 5'9". if 5'8" is short and 6'5" is tall, then on avg everyone is a 6 footer?

I thought that was weird too.
post #17 of 70
Good article with good choices of brands. Prada for the tall and slim, Dolce Gabbana for the muscular, and Zegna for the hefty.
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgrad View Post
Good article with good choices of brands. Prada for the tall and slim, Dolce Gabbana for the muscular, and Zegna for the hefty.

I take issue with the Zegna choice. I'm 6'1, 172 and Zegna is my favorite OTR suit by far. Fits me much better than Armani, Canali, or Cornelianai. I think it all depends on what model you go for, but I have a Trofeo (MTM, only small adjustments) and a Traveler (OTR from Saks), also minimal adjustments. My only complaint, as on most RTW suits, is the pants being a bit baggy. But that's only because I want Zegna quality with a Prada fit, and am more willing to sacrifice the latter.
post #19 of 70
article is not bad. the only strange thing is that everyone's "after" pic looks almost exactly the same. I suppose that was the objective
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwb32 View Post
my only complaint would be calling someone 5'8" short when the avg height of american men is 5'9".

Actually, according to a study cited in this week's Time, the average American man is now 5'10". That may sound high, but relatively speaking, we are shrinking in comparison to many European countries (e.g., the average man's height in the Netherlands is 6 feet tall)!
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpdoyle View Post
Actually, according to a study cited in this week's Time, the average American man is now 5'10". That may sound high, but relatively speaking, we are shrinking in comparison to many European countries (e.g., the average man's height in the Netherlands is 6 feet tall)!

Think about who's coming to America now, it's no longer Brits, Germans, and Swedes. I bet if you looked at the more traditional American populations, mainly caucasians and African Americans, you wouldn't see them shrinking.
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpdoyle View Post
Actually, according to a study cited in this week's Time, the average American man is now 5'10". That may sound high, but relatively speaking, we are shrinking in comparison to many European countries (e.g., the average man's height in the Netherlands is 6 feet tall)!

The dutch are also the tallest people in the world so that's not a particularly good comparison.
post #23 of 70
Liddell is a beast. His drop is really quite high (Something like 14, iirc), 44 chest and 30 waist. That is very high compared to the average (6-7 inches) drop. People with a higher drop than that are probably really juiced up.
post #24 of 70
I liked the article too. Chuck Lidell is probably closest to my body type - he's got muscle but he's not model skinny in the waist. I'm still betting his shirt was pinned back though - 19" neck and a shirt that fits, I don't think so.

I'd still like them to mention lower-priced brands but I guess they need to make their advertisers happy.
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
I thought that was weird too.
You have to remember that the average "short" suit size in the States is intended for someone who's 5'8".
post #26 of 70
Liddell has a 30 inch waist? Hard to imagine, not even male models have a 30 inch waist at 6 2ish. I would say a more probable 33-34.

Yeah, with his neck size, he has to go MTM.
post #27 of 70
didn't arnold reportedly have a 31 waist? or maybe that's arnold-speak for "im better than you"
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgrad View Post
Liddell has a 30 inch waist? Hard to imagine, not even male models have a 30 inch waist at 6 2ish. I would say a more probable 33-34. Yeah, with his neck size, he has to go MTM.
Liddell hardly has an athletic body. If anything he carries a little extra around the belly. I'd question a 14" drop. He cleans up nicely though. lefty
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Liddell is a beast. His drop is really quite high (Something like 14, iirc), 44 chest and 30 waist. That is very high compared to the average (6-7 inches) drop. People with a higher drop than that are probably really juiced up.

maybe becuase he is so fit and all muscle, that he appears lean in the photo and also appears lean on TV when he is in fights ........ just wished they featured more bulky guys to make it more interesting .........
post #30 of 70
he look fairly wide-hipped so yeah I doubt 30 as well. has nothing to do with body fat. I know 6ft 2 155 lbs guys who are built like a wire and still wear 32 or 33. its just how wide they are. and now that I think about it, they forgot the most common hard-to-fit body type of all, the middle aged guy with a gut. The guy who is 25 lbs heavier than when he was in college, but still not obese.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit