• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ makes a good effort. The fun part is critiquing the suggestions
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a bad article.

What I find frustrating about all of these articles is that I am so freaking normal that none of them really are any help. Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc. The same thing goes for color theory. I look at those freaking charts and I fall somewhere in the middle of every single season rendering them absolutly useless.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for posting the article.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc.

Wouldn't the world be your oyster?

lefty

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

lefty

Some people are never happy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

lefty

Originally Posted by RJman
Some people are never happy.

rolleyes.gif
I didn't mean it that way, I just meant that so much of the fit advice in magazines is focused on how to emphasize or de-emphasize certain things that it rarely gets around to explaining basic principles of fit.

The same goes for color and contrast. I looked at Flusser's contrast stuff for a week and could not find one thing that would apply to my coloring and I am hardly unusually colored. Same for seasonal color whatever.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad; the suit took 30 pounds off of Horatio Sanz.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not a bad article.

What I find frustrating about all of these articles is that I am so freaking normal that none of them really are any help. Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc. The same thing goes for color theory. I look at those freaking charts and I fall somewhere in the middle of every single season rendering them absolutly useless.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for posting the article.

On a related note no one ever does one for the tall and fat. You're either short and fat or tall and skinny.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's at least one source that gives plenty of advice on tall + heavy. (More on that in the months ahead, perhaps.)

Matt, if you have questions, the forum is a great place to ask. Replying to such threads is much more enjoyable than replying to threads about brand experiences, debates about this or that, etc.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt Chuck Liddel is a bad example of the muscular body type. He is fit, but not bulking with a big drop, they should have used someone like Christian Bale when he was playing Batman (where he gained like 100 lbs for the role from his previous role) .........

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I felt Chuck Liddel is a bad example of the muscular body type. He is fit, but not bulking with a big drop, they should have used someone like Christian Bale when he was playing Batman (where he gained like 100 lbs for the role from his previous role) .........

It is tough to get bigger and more drop than Lidell without incredible genetics or chemical enhancement. I think he is a good example of a standard muscular build.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
There's at least one source that gives plenty of advice on tall + heavy. (More on that in the months ahead, perhaps.)

Matt, if you have questions, the forum is a great place to ask. Replying to such threads is much more enjoyable than replying to threads about brand experiences, debates about this or that, etc.

cha -ching!

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
It is tough to get bigger and more drop than Lidell without incredible genetics or chemical enhancement. I think he is a good example of a standard muscular build.
Besides, any more drop and it would make it difficult for GQ to make him look good in the After shot.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant

No questions, just complaints. I do what I do and am not going to change even if it is wrong. I just find that most of the books don't seem to cover me and I do not see myself as all that odd.

lpwb32

Reaction score
i'm 5'9" 160 lbs and thought the advice for the apollo ohna was pretty good. there is a particular disdain here for the suits worn by nba players and here was a perfect example of eliminating the 4b monstrosities and making a really tall guy look good in a 2b.

my only complaint would be calling someone 5'8" short when the avg height of american men is 5'9". if 5'8" is short and 6'5" is tall, then on avg everyone is a 6 footer? what they should have done is taken the advice given for short and said thats what the avg guy should be doing -- less break, more cuff. how many ppl would be happy to see that on most guys walking around out there??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads