or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A visit to Astor & Black
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A visit to Astor & Black - Page 11

post #151 of 171

 

 

 

Another A&B suit out of our wardrobe essentials folder. The color is a lighter charcoal with burgundy collar felt and bordeaux A&B crest lining. The A&B crest lining is not necessarily stock but my clients generally love them. The one a few posts up is orange with robins egg blue. I think it's great inside a blue suit.

post #152 of 171

more fitting success as seen in this post:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/3315#post_6371095

post #153 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

 

 

 

Another A&B suit out of our wardrobe essentials folder. The color is a lighter charcoal with burgundy collar felt and bordeaux A&B crest lining. The A&B crest lining is not necessarily stock but my clients generally love them. The one a few posts up is orange with robins egg blue. I think it's great inside a blue suit.


This coat looks very nice. Dig the tic pocket and love the lapel width.

post #154 of 171

Theburgundy collar felt is very interesting and a great contrast to the grey suit. 

post #155 of 171

I know you are a different rep for A&B, but these pics put me at ease. I did end up purchasing a sport coat on Thursday.  I made a selection from the "closeout" book, and informed the rep that I wanted to see the quality of the jacket (something I think is the hardest piece of clothing to get 'right'" then I will be more confident in future orders.  Great pics!

post #156 of 171

The quality is the aspect you can rest assured will be right. I have not seen any inconsistencies.

I hope the rest of it works out as well with your clothier.

post #157 of 171

2 recent client after pics...

 

post #158 of 171
post #159 of 171
Fun while it lasted. The best have already moved on.
post #160 of 171
Quote:

LOL! :rotflmao:

post #161 of 171

All you have to do is look above to see that the product itself was working just fine.....which is a product of the knowledge of the person selling it.

 

It's a said story, but the menswear world won't even notice...

 

Carry on, boys...

 

And contact me if you're within 1-2 hrs of NYC or Philly if you'd like to look at similar custom options with the same quality construction/fit/fabrics except better price.

 

Yes, I will shamelessly plug myself.

post #162 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

2 recent client after pics...





Love that light blue suit.
post #163 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTCtailor View Post

All you have to do is look above to see that the product itself was working just fine.....which is a product of the knowledge of the person selling it.

It's a said story, but the menswear world won't even notice...

Carry on, boys...

And contact me if you're within 1-2 hrs of NYC or Philly if you'd like to look at similar custom options with the same quality construction/fit/fabrics except better price.

Yes, I will shamelessly plug myself.

you were an affiliate for a bit, right? do yo have any insights as to what went wrong with the new management team, process, investments, etc?
post #164 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


you were an affiliate for a bit, right? do yo have any insights as to what went wrong with the new management team, process, investments, etc?

 

There were so many problems that brought the company down. It was sold as a company two times bigger than it really was. The exec team was being paid as if it were twice its actual size.

The marketing was expensive. There was a lot of employee overhead. The remake/alterations rate was extremely high because of lack of synergy/continuity between the clothiers and the actual factory production. Also, there were no upcharges for any customized options no matter what level you bought at so you could get a fully canvassed suit in wool 100s with every custom option imaginable for only $650. That gave little incentive to move up the levels so most of the total sales volume was in the lower end range.

Because of the looming insolvency, the exec team and the private equity firm who owned the company were looking into a merger with a company in LA called Elevee.

I don't know where the exact breakdown occurred, but I believe when the main factory liaison became aware of the potential merger, he froze all production/shipping of all orders so that he could adjust his contract for his protection. I believe orders were backed up and delayed almost 3 weeks solid because of that. The 3 parties (A&B, Elevee, and the liaison) were in negotiations for a good week or two before something ultimately fell apart with the terms and the merger didn't go through. The merger would've saved the company, but when it didn't go through they just had to file bankruptcy and call it quits. Pretty messy situation that many people are still trying to clean up.

post #165 of 171
So moral of the story...if you start one of these companies....get it to a decent size and sell. Sell, Mortimer, sell!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A visit to Astor & Black