• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member with silly underwear question (how long should they last)...

GSY

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and anxious to participate and exchange as much information as possible.

I hope this post is not too "silly" but I have a socks and underwear question that I hope can be answered on this forum.

I recently began buying "nice" underwear such as Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Burberry, Calvin Klein etc. after being a Fruit of the Loom guy for 40 years. They truly look and feel better than "standard" underwear but are obviously more expensive and hopefully longer lasting.

Typically, I would wear and wash my inexpensive white briefs until they were literally wearing out and then just threw them away without care. Same for socks.
Now that I am spending considerably more money on undergarents I was wondering how long they are expected to last before they are retired.

My wife can wear a pair of $20.00 pantyhose once or twice and then throw them away but I guess being a man I still feel that they should last longer than that.

Assuming I wear each pair of my "high end" boxer briefs and socks once and then wash them after each wear - how many wash and wear cycles can I expect ?

Similarly, how much longer are they expected to last than lower priced brands? (Twice as long? Three times?)

When do other forum members decide to send their old friends out to pasture (when they have holes in them?)

Thank you in advance for reading this post and I look forward to your replies.

GSY

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
Mine seem to last forever. In fact, the tailor who made them has long since passed into the next world. So you've worried me that I might need to replace them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is as serious an answer as I can give: if you're not embarassed wearing the underwear in front of a woman (or man whatever tugs your boat) then its still wearable.

GSY

Reaction score
I expected civil answers to a simple question but was proven wrong. Please cancel my membeship to StyleForum immediaely. Thank you.

GSY

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that if you get them new they last longer than if you buy them used off of ebay.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Given that if nobody ever saw them, we'd probably wear them to the point of disintegration, I'd agree that you should just apply the "what if someone else saw me in them" test. There's no set time period. I assume if you want longetivity, black will be best since it won't discolor from sweat/whatever.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I've never counted wash & wear cycles for anything. I recently retired an entire rotation of relatively mediocre boxers after nearly ten years of wear. Socks need to be replaced more frequently.

almost exactly my expereince.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To provide a somewhat less facetious answer, there is imbedded in the OP's question an incorrect assumption that price impacts longevity. It is my experience that on certain items (cotton underwear, gym socks, polo shirts, etc.) unless one is buying either extremely expensive items (e.g., Zimmerli) or horrid bargain bin items, cost does not impact longevity appreciably.

Moreover, my experience with Fruit of the Loom and Hanes is that they are pretty long lasting generally. Indeed, some of the other brands have been more delicate and, therefore, disposable. While YMMV, I would not invest in underewar, socks, and simlar items based on longer life span of the garment.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is embarrassing. Thanks for the stupid posts mocking a new member with what was most likely a serious question. I think I will start timing out people who do this kind of crap from now on. Maybe we need some more mods in MC too since this is the only place this seems to happen.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Wow, this thread is embarrassing. Thanks for the stupid posts mocking a new member with what was most likely a serious question. I think I will start timing out people who do this kind of crap from now on. Maybe we need some more mods in MC too since this is the only place this seems to happen.

Holy ****, I agree. I hadn't seen this before, but this has been going on far too frequently lately on SF. Maybe it's a reaction the the trolls we've been getting. Sure, we have been getting trolls, but not all new members are looking for trouble. Members should be given the benefit of the doubt until it can be demonstrated otherwise.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
hello GSY, welcome to the forum.

a silly question deserves a silly answer. i think it all depends on your frequency and magnitude of flatulation and how well you wipe your butt after a number 2.

i hope this helps somewhat.

yeah..this wasnt nice.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads