or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Budget suits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget suits

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

I was wondering is it okay for a young intern to wear these suits and have them altered?  (sleeves shortened, pants, etc)  My budget is quite low but I want to look decent.

 

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Slim-Fit-Suits/Mens-Suits-Slim-Fit,en_GB,sc.html

 

In particular these suits:

 

navy suit
Particularly this one: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Eddington-Blue-Tonic-2-Button-Slim-Fit-Suit/50942S,en_GB,pd.html?start=0&cgid=Mens-Suits-Slim-Fit

 

grey suit

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Wilson-Light-Grey-Cool-Wool-2-Button-Slim-Fit-Suit/50936S,en_GB,pd.html?start=0&cgid=Mens-Suits-Slim-Fit

 

Shirts:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Slim-Fit-Blue-Poplin-Double-Cuff-Shirt/46457,en_GB,pd.html?start=0&cgid=Mens-Slim-Fit-Shirts

 

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Slim-Fit-Blue-Small-Check-Twill-Shirt/50170,en_GB,pd.html?start=0&cgid=Mens-Slim-Fit-Shirts

 

With this knit tie:

http://www.reiss.com/rw/mens/accessories/cutler/navy/

 

Any advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

post #2 of 19
Why not?
The 3 piece is a little much(of course you could wear it w/o the vest)..but the rest can work(if it is decent quality.)
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

If it helps, I'm five foot ten (short torso and not sure if I am decent-heighted enough to wear a suit).

 

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Why not?
The 3 piece is a little much(of course you could wear it w/o the vest)..but the rest can work(if it is decent quality.)

Great, thank you Ter1413!  I will def lay off the vest definitely.  

post #5 of 19
Ter1413 offers much sense as ever - I would add, 'whilst you are an intern'. When you have a proper job you do need to aspire to much better quality.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Ter1413 offers much sense as ever - I would add, 'whilst you are an intern'. When you have a proper job you do need to aspire to much better quality.

cheers.gif
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfon View Post

Great, thank you Ter1413!  I will def lay off the vest definitely.  


If you are going to splurge at this point, get yourself a nice pair of shoes. They can last years with the proper care. They can also make a so-so outfit look "outstanding"....along with proper tailoring of the garments.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfon View Post

If it helps, I'm five foot ten (short torso and not sure if I am decent-heighted enough to wear a suit).
Nearly any man can look good in a properly fitting suit. This holds true if you're 5'10" with a short torso, 6'10" with a long torso, 4'10" with a medium torso, etc.

The idea of not being "decent-heighted enough" to wear a suit is without merit. Akin to worrying that one is too brown-haired to drive a car.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Ter1413 offers much sense as ever - I would add, 'whilst you are an intern'. When you have a proper job you do need to aspire to much better quality.

I will, thank you for the tip GBR.  I'm trying to beat the typical intern look by having decent clothes, aside from having them altered, I also want to sport cufflinks and a white square folded pocket square.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post


If you are going to splurge at this point, get yourself a nice pair of shoes. They can last years with the proper care. They can also make a so-so outfit look "outstanding"....along with proper tailoring of the garments.

Thank you ter1413, I'm definitely taking your advice right now.  What do you think of these?

 

http://www.asos.com/hugo-boss/hugo-by-hugo-boss-evennio-patent-shoes/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3458646&clr=Black&SearchQuery=hugo+boss+shoes+black

http://www.asos.com/ted-baker/ted-baker-billay-hi-shine-shoes/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3973582&clr=Brown&SearchQuery=brown+shoes

 

http://www.asos.com/ps-by-paul-smith/ps-by-paul-smith-starling-oxford-shoes/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3979693&clr=Brown&searchterm=brown+shoes


 

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Nearly any man can look good in a properly fitting suit. This holds true if you're 5'10" with a short torso, 6'10" with a long torso, 4'10" with a medium torso, etc.

The idea of not being "decent-heighted enough" to wear a suit is without merit. Akin to worrying that one is too brown-haired to drive a car.

Thank you Michael, I need to alter my suits and confidence.  I just want to get things right, e.g. suit altered to make me look better.

 

I have pet peeves like when I see people in sloppy baggy suits, I just want to drag them to the alteration store, vice versa I always think my future self would drag the current me into a well established tailor with the best materials.  

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfon View Post

I have pet peeves like when I see people in sloppy baggy suits, I just want to drag them to the alteration store
When I see people in overly short, overly close-fitting suits, I just want to laugh.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


When I see people in overly short, overly close-fitting suits, I just want to laugh.

Touché. 

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfon View Post

What do you think of these shoes?

I'd stay away from those shoes if I were you.
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


I'd stay away from those shoes if I were you.

Okay will do,  I was looking at this too: http://us.burberry.com/polished-leather-oxford-shoes-p39176781

But a bit pricey, I'm guessing it's mainly because I'm looking at brands that didn't start out as shoe makers and they hire other companies to do their shoe work but slap their brand on them?

 

I'm looking into UK brands right now.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Budget suits