or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › hlp w/ conversation openers (not cheezy pick up lines)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

hlp w/ conversation openers (not cheezy pick up lines)

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
I saw the most gorgeous girl in my building yesterday. We shared an elevator. I tried to chat her up but it was awkward. Her smiles were clearly out of pity.



It went down like this:

me> man this elevator is always so slow

chick>yeah

me> laundry day huh?

chick> just a few things.

me> where u from? (I detected accent)

chick> I'm from here

wield silence... we both exit the same floor. This is how my pickups (lack of) usually go. I'm thinking maybe well cross again, hopefully its not her bf place. I want to step it up. You know... go out for drinks and back to my room. I rarely get the opp and when I do its with kinda cute girls that find me attractive. I want to date women I find attractive.

I'm trying to think of things as conversation openers, so I can do better at attracting women and getting numbers on the spot. Unless there's some obvious interest, or at least a smile, I never get the job done.

post #2 of 54
Dont worry too much about the first line or whatever. Anything not too creepy to get a conversation going is fine.

Id try to stay away from "where u from" "how old are you" questions during the first conversation. Shes seen all that before from litterally everyone she ever met.

Sometimes it flows sometimes you just get stuck i guess. Dont overthink it though. I dont think you should be looking for specific lines or whatever, just a general attitude.
post #3 of 54
You might be better off not circling around the issue hoping for a perfect opening that never comes. As the Nike folks say, just do it. You say, "Hey, do you want to go grab a cup of coffee/a beer/whatever while you're waiting for your laundry to finish", or
"I'm Alan, by the way -- it's nice to meet you, neighbor." (stick out hand for shaking)
"Nice to meet you, too, Alan. I'm Monica Bellucci."
"I've seen you around, and I'm glad we finally met for real. Why don't we go {insert activity} this weekend, it'd probably be a lot of fun."
post #4 of 54
One very awkward kid in HS had the greatest opening line:

"You have nice breasts."

Try it sometime.
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tes_qw View Post
me> man this elevator is always so slow
Don't start with a smalltalk statement, that sets the tone for the rest of the conversation. Starting with a joke is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tes_qw View Post
me> laundry day huh?
Ask open-ended, non-stupid questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tes_qw View Post
me> where u from? (I detected accent)
It's okay to ask her name and introduce yourself. If you haven't already, use that opportunity to establish eye contact and physical contact (handshake, arm touch). Because of the time limit, an elevator is not an optimal environment. Since she's in your building, you might only be able to build a foundation for the next time you run into her. I'd aim to either:
  • Get one really interesting question in that she won't have time to answer completely. Then you either suggest going somewhere to finish the conversation, or at least you have something to start on next time you run into her.
  • Tell her about something really fun that you're about to do or have just done. If she expresses interest, invite her along or tell her you'll phone her next time. At the very least you've made yourself seem interesting.
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post
One very awkward kid in HS had the greatest opening line:

"You have nice breasts."

Try it sometime.



hahahahahaha
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post
One very awkward kid in HS had the greatest opening line:

"You have nice breasts."

Try it sometime.

L.O.l.


best thing is to just say hello . or how are you? dont think too much and dont think you will get quick results right away. most likely she is married or got a boyfriend, but still , if you see her around , you will see her again or bump into her again, just let her get to know your smile and hellos. and then one day strike up a conversation.
most women, people for that matter, feel very awkward when put into a situation where it seems like there is expected immediate results. and they can sense it too.
trust me, she rather like someone who goes about his business and strikes up a convo when the timing is right. not someone who harbors over meeting her again and tries to pick her up on the first try or second. people are more sophisticated than we think!
post #8 of 54
most girls are not going to date some random guy living in their building because they'll figure that if they break up with him or it doesn't work out, they'll have to live next to him afterwards or worse, have to move to get away.

you're in a perfect spot living this close by to someone that hot: it would be best to actually become friends with her (and tell her you're not hitting on her) and have her introduce you to her other friends at some point in the future. Because you live so close you might actually be able to hang out with her often over time.

hot girls who are 'just friends' make the best wingmen because usually they have other hotties they hang out with and you go in endorsed

plus,,,other girls see you with her and it automatically improves your social standing with them
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post
One very awkward kid in HS had the greatest opening line:

"You have nice breasts."

Try it sometime.

There's this article in Esquire about "Radical Honesty", a movement that advocates that "we should toss out the filters between our brains and our mouths"and the founder of the movement narrated how....

Quote:
He tells me about a woman he once met on a Paris subway and asked out for tea. When they sat down, he said, "I didn't really want any tea; I was just trying to figure out a way to delay you so I could talk to you for a while, because I want to go to bed with you." They went to bed together. Or another seduction technique of his: "Wanna fuck?"

"That works?" I asked.

"Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's the creation of possibility."
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy View Post
There's this article in Esquire about "Radical Honesty", a movement that advocates that "we should toss out the filters between our brains and our mouths"and the founder of the movement narrated how....

I have been using this policy more frequently. If I come up with something witty then it is witty, if I don't then I make fun of my inability to come up with something and still seem witty. For example, when recently sticking my foot in my mouth just responding "wow, that was a hard sentence" or "I can't come with anything witty to follow the Bob Barker theme, so..." It makes life easier and one needn't worry about what sounds good.
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have been using this policy more frequently. If I come up with something witty then it is witty, if I don't then I make fun of my inability to come up with something and still seem witty. For example, when recently sticking my foot in my mouth just responding "wow, that was a hard sentence" or "I can't come with anything witty to follow the Bob Barker theme, so..." It makes life easier and one needn't worry about what sounds good.
Me too. Until a year or so ago, I used to try to walk on egg shells around people but now I say whatever comes out, though I haven't gotten to the point where I feel it is necessary to do something like tell a chick that an outfit makes her look fat. I'm not sure if this extreme (not yet radical) honesty is a good thing. I think that where I live, people can't handle it. I had a roommate who was a little too honest with everyone, took some getting used to, but I'd rather have that than the opposite. I think I'm actually more blunt about myself than other people. If a chick asks me what I do I'll say that I sit on my ass all day in front of a computer and it's friggin exhausting. I guess this makes me sound less desirable than the guy who is a system administrator with certification A, B, C, with knowledge in X, Y, Z. btw, this article is awesome.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post
One very awkward kid in HS had the greatest opening line:

"You have nice breasts."

Try it sometime.

grab her ass, say "honk, honk" and do a funny face like Jim Carrey
post #13 of 54
Nice tits.
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tes_qw View Post
I saw the most gorgeous girl in my building yesterday. We shared an elevator. I tried to chat her up but it was awkward. Her smiles were clearly out of pity.



It went down like this:

me> man this elevator is always so slow

chick>yeah

me> laundry day huh?

chick> just a few things.

me> where u from? (I detected accent)

chick> I'm from here

wield silence... we both exit the same floor. This is how my pickups (lack of) usually go. I'm thinking maybe well cross again, hopefully its not her bf place. I want to step it up. You know... go out for drinks and back to my room. I rarely get the opp and when I do its with kinda cute girls that find me attractive. I want to date women I find attractive.

I'm trying to think of things as conversation openers, so I can do better at attracting women and getting numbers on the spot. Unless there's some obvious interest, or at least a smile, I never get the job done.


Next time you see her ..

You: <simile> Oh .. My.. God ... (this will catch her attention FOR SURE)
Her: <WTF> uh ??
You: I love that < > you are wearing. I bought it too?
Her: You buy woman's <>?
You: I bought it for my <female person> .. she has really interesting taste in <..> and continue.
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle View Post
Next time you see her ..

You: <simile> Oh .. My.. God ... (this will catch her attention FOR SURE)
Her: <WTF> uh ??
You: I love that < > you are wearing.

Stop right there. At the conclusion of the word "wearing," the woman will automatically have determined that you are gay. Especially if you say the above in a less than masculine way.

Please do not do this, OP.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › hlp w/ conversation openers (not cheezy pick up lines)