• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I haven't started building mine yet. I can't afford a Seven Cycle frame.
frown.gif

Actually, I want a nice iron frame for my first single speed. Can't wait until I graduate so I can start buying cycling goodies.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yes, but I haven't started building mine yet. I can't afford a Seven Cycle frame.
frown.gif

Actually, I want a nice iron frame for my first single speed. Can't wait until I graduate so I can start buying cycling goodies.

Steel?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a velodrome nearby, I highly suggest that you sign up for a beginner track class. It is extraordinarily fun.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Steel?

Yeah. Steel, iron, same ole, same ole.
tounge.gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am torn between a Fuji Track and SE Draft light. They are both entry level fixed gear bikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of them?

I test rode the Fuji Track and I really liked it, it was different, but good. I know the SE bikes are made by the same company but just cheaper.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I am torn between a Fuji Track and SE Draft light. They are both entry level fixed gear bikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of them? I test rode the Fuji Track and I really liked it, it was different, but good. I know the SE bikes are made by the same company but just cheaper.
The Fuji is a far superior bike. I'm in no way a bike snob, but the Draft (Fuji owned) is a pretty poor bike regardless of price. I've had the opportunity to ride one at my local lbs, and the first thing I noticed were the pretty poor components and build quality. Due to it's hi-ten frame, the bike is quite heavy, and I was a bit turned off by the 1-piece BMX cranks, it would be fairly difficult to upgrade. There are a couple of cool SE bikes, but they're considerably more expensive than what I would be looking to spend. If I'm correct, I believe the Fuji is Cromoly, this alone makes it a better choice. Another bike to consider around the same price would be Performance Bikes Single/Fixed Scattante. It may be house brand, but the components and build quality are superior to most rides you'll find in the same price class. Ignore the current price, this bike is usually listed on their site at $349.00 all day along. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_28506 Another solution would be building a bike up from scratch.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
The Fuji is a far superior bike. I'm in no way a bike snob, but the Draft is a pretty poor excuse for a bike regardless of price. I've had the opportunity to ride one at my local lbs, and the first thing I noticed were the pretty poor components and build quality. Due to it's hi-ten frame, the bike is quite heavy, and I was a bit turned off by the 1-piece BMX cranks, it would be fairly difficult to upgrade.

If I'm correct, I believe the Fuji is Cromoly, this alone makes it a better choice. Another bike to consider around the same price would be Performance Bikes Single/Fixed Scattante. It may be house brand, but the components and build quality are superior to most rides you'll find in the same price class.

Ignore the current price, this bike is usually listed on their site at $349.00 all day along.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_28506

Another solution would be building a bike up from scratch.

Unfortunately I am in Canada so Performace Bikes is out of the question.

I know what you mean about the fuji being light. I was really surprised how light it was, after years of riding heavy mountain bikes.

Also, I would like to build one frame up but I dont have the funds and time for it. That is something I hope to do later when I have more money. I figure I would buy something tht is decent and upgrade part by pat until I have enough to put onto a new frame.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Unfortunately I am in Canada so Performace Bikes is out of the question.

I know what you mean about the fuji being light. I was really surprised how light it was, after years of riding heavy mountain bikes.

Also, I would like to build one frame up but I dont have the funds and time for it. That is something I hope to do later when I have more money. I figure I would buy something tht is decent and upgrade part by pat until I have enough to put onto a new frame.

Personally, I really like the Fuji. It's a pretty good bike for the cash. I've too been considering a new purchase, but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount. I wouldn't mind a new Masi Speciale Fixed, or Specialized Langster, but I really don't think I could convince the wife to let me spend a considerable amount of cash on a new bike.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Personally, I really like the Fuji. It's a pretty good bike for the cash. I've too been considering a new purchase, but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount.

I wouldn't mind a new Masi Speciale Fixed, or Specialized Langster, but I really don't think I could convince the wife to let me spend a considerable amount of cash on a new bike.

Thats why I am looking into the Fuji track
tounge.gif
I think it has good bang for the buck and it is priced reasonably. My LBS is looking into ordering me the correct frame size. *fingers crossed* hopefully I can get it soon. I want to start riding...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but what is the appeal of fixed gear bikes?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I know this is a dumb question, but what is the appeal of fixed gear bikes?

It is actually really fun to ride. There is no coasting so you go as fast (or as slow) as your legs are moving. I didnt really understand it until I tried one at the LBS. I am used to coasting when iding my mountain bike but with a fixed gear bike, there is no "dull" moment because youre always moving. And it makes you keep your momentum.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, while I do not currently have a fixie (and right now the hipster connotations and my curent overgrowth of bikes are keeping me from getting another until I move), there is something beautiful about the raw transfer of power that a fixed gear provides.

If you build up a bike with solid parts everywhere (no wiggle in the headset, wheels, bottom bracket) and rig it with a fixed gear, you end up with a bike that has no play in any part including the pedals...just pure man powered machine.

They arwe also good for training you not to coast so much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads