or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Working on building my first fixed gear. Anyone else a fan?
post #2 of 64
Yes, but I haven't started building mine yet. I can't afford a Seven Cycle frame.

Actually, I want a nice iron frame for my first single speed. Can't wait until I graduate so I can start buying cycling goodies.
post #3 of 64
Thread Starter 
What's your (future) build look like? I am doing one around the Soma Rush.
post #4 of 64
I have one, there great. Here is a site with the best info on them.
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/forum/
post #5 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
Yes, but I haven't started building mine yet. I can't afford a Seven Cycle frame.

Actually, I want a nice iron frame for my first single speed. Can't wait until I graduate so I can start buying cycling goodies.

Steel?
post #6 of 64
If you can find a velodrome nearby, I highly suggest that you sign up for a beginner track class. It is extraordinarily fun.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault78law View Post
Steel?

Yeah. Steel, iron, same ole, same ole.
post #8 of 64
I am torn between a Fuji Track and SE Draft light. They are both entry level fixed gear bikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of them? I test rode the Fuji Track and I really liked it, it was different, but good. I know the SE bikes are made by the same company but just cheaper.
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post
I am torn between a Fuji Track and SE Draft light. They are both entry level fixed gear bikes. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of them? I test rode the Fuji Track and I really liked it, it was different, but good. I know the SE bikes are made by the same company but just cheaper.
The Fuji is a far superior bike. I'm in no way a bike snob, but the Draft (Fuji owned) is a pretty poor bike regardless of price. I've had the opportunity to ride one at my local lbs, and the first thing I noticed were the pretty poor components and build quality. Due to it's hi-ten frame, the bike is quite heavy, and I was a bit turned off by the 1-piece BMX cranks, it would be fairly difficult to upgrade. There are a couple of cool SE bikes, but they're considerably more expensive than what I would be looking to spend. If I'm correct, I believe the Fuji is Cromoly, this alone makes it a better choice. Another bike to consider around the same price would be Performance Bikes Single/Fixed Scattante. It may be house brand, but the components and build quality are superior to most rides you'll find in the same price class. Ignore the current price, this bike is usually listed on their site at $349.00 all day along. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_28506 Another solution would be building a bike up from scratch.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
The Fuji is a far superior bike. I'm in no way a bike snob, but the Draft is a pretty poor excuse for a bike regardless of price. I've had the opportunity to ride one at my local lbs, and the first thing I noticed were the pretty poor components and build quality. Due to it's hi-ten frame, the bike is quite heavy, and I was a bit turned off by the 1-piece BMX cranks, it would be fairly difficult to upgrade.

If I'm correct, I believe the Fuji is Cromoly, this alone makes it a better choice. Another bike to consider around the same price would be Performance Bikes Single/Fixed Scattante. It may be house brand, but the components and build quality are superior to most rides you'll find in the same price class.

Ignore the current price, this bike is usually listed on their site at $349.00 all day along.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_28506

Another solution would be building a bike up from scratch.

Unfortunately I am in Canada so Performace Bikes is out of the question.

I know what you mean about the fuji being light. I was really surprised how light it was, after years of riding heavy mountain bikes.

Also, I would like to build one frame up but I dont have the funds and time for it. That is something I hope to do later when I have more money. I figure I would buy something tht is decent and upgrade part by pat until I have enough to put onto a new frame.
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post
Unfortunately I am in Canada so Performace Bikes is out of the question.

I know what you mean about the fuji being light. I was really surprised how light it was, after years of riding heavy mountain bikes.

Also, I would like to build one frame up but I dont have the funds and time for it. That is something I hope to do later when I have more money. I figure I would buy something tht is decent and upgrade part by pat until I have enough to put onto a new frame.
Personally, I really like the Fuji. It's a pretty good bike for the cash. I've too been considering a new purchase, but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount. I wouldn't mind a new Masi Speciale Fixed, or Specialized Langster, but I really don't think I could convince the wife to let me spend a considerable amount of cash on a new bike.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
Personally, I really like the Fuji. It's a pretty good bike for the cash. I've too been considering a new purchase, but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount.

I wouldn't mind a new Masi Speciale Fixed, or Specialized Langster, but I really don't think I could convince the wife to let me spend a considerable amount of cash on a new bike.

Thats why I am looking into the Fuji track I think it has good bang for the buck and it is priced reasonably. My LBS is looking into ordering me the correct frame size. *fingers crossed* hopefully I can get it soon. I want to start riding...
post #13 of 64
I know this is a dumb question, but what is the appeal of fixed gear bikes?
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
I know this is a dumb question, but what is the appeal of fixed gear bikes?

It is actually really fun to ride. There is no coasting so you go as fast (or as slow) as your legs are moving. I didnt really understand it until I tried one at the LBS. I am used to coasting when iding my mountain bike but with a fixed gear bike, there is no "dull" moment because youre always moving. And it makes you keep your momentum.
post #15 of 64
Yeah, while I do not currently have a fixie (and right now the hipster connotations and my curent overgrowth of bikes are keeping me from getting another until I move), there is something beautiful about the raw transfer of power that a fixed gear provides.

If you build up a bike with solid parts everywhere (no wiggle in the headset, wheels, bottom bracket) and rig it with a fixed gear, you end up with a bike that has no play in any part including the pedals...just pure man powered machine.

They arwe also good for training you not to coast so much
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?