or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties - Page 3

post #31 of 153
^ I see what you're saying. For me, it is interesting to learn the origin of certain striped designs, but it's after the fact, has no meaning to me, and thus no influence on whether or not I purchase a tie. I judge on aesthetic appeal only, like you, jrd; we are in agreement.
post #32 of 153

IMO the most important thing is how the ties will fit into one's wardrobe. The history behind the tie is a plus but won't influence the purchasing decision, unless one have relation to the history/organisation.

 

Question: Which stripe tie do you think every gentlemen should own (in SF at least) and which is your favourite stripe tie?

post #33 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoky View Post

IMO the most important thing is how the ties will fit into one's wardrobe. The history behind the tie is a plus but won't influence the purchasing decision, unless one have relation to the history/organisation.

Question: Which stripe tie do you think every gentlemen should own (in SF at least) and which is your favourite stripe tie?

I already stated my favorite striped tie: navy w/ white double bar stripes in shantung fabric. It is the striped version of a navy w/ white dots tie, in my mind. However, I won't go so far as to say every gentleman should own one. I don't think there is any single particular striped tie that can be classified as a "must own". There are simply too many variations of stripes and colors, and personal taste plays a huge role. This is a good thread, but let's be careful not to overthink, or oversimplify, striped ties.
post #34 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoky View Post

Question: Which stripe tie do you think every gentlemen should own (in SF at least) and which is your favourite stripe tie?

Something in navy would probably be best as a first stripe tie, but it depends on what other color ties you have already.

Can't pick a clear favorite, but my least favorite tie in the collection might be the brown with white stripes. It's a vintage tie from the 60s that I inherited. Keep it for sentimental reasons, but I rarely wear it. Stripes are too thin.
post #35 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post


I already stated my favorite striped tie: navy w/ white double bar stripes in shantung fabric. It is the striped version of a navy w/ white dots tie, in my mind. However, I won't go so far as to say every gentleman should own one. I don't think there is any single particular striped tie that can be classified as a "must own". There are simply too many variations of stripes and colors, and personal taste plays a huge role. This is a good thread, but let's be careful not to overthink, or oversimplify, striped ties.

 

Not trying to over-think or oversimplify here.. Just would like to know the general thought on which striped tie (colour, pattern, fabric) get the most vote. I think it will be helpful for people like me who just started in ties to know which striped tie will get the most use of. 

 

I think a navy stripe (like the pic below) will be a good place to start, but I need to receive all my striped ties before I can decide. 

 

post #36 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoky View Post

Not trying to over-think or oversimplify here.. Just would like to know the general thought on which striped tie (colour, pattern, fabric) get the most vote. I think it will be helpful for people like me who just started in ties to know which striped tie will get the most use of. 

I think a navy stripe (like the pic below) will be a good place to start, but I need to receive all my striped ties before I can decide. 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Well, yeah, like jrd and I already expressed, a navy ground striped tie would be a good place to start. But you can't really get any more specific than that, and the same can be said for almost any tie; navy ties are among the most versatile, be it a solid, neat, striped, what have you. But beyond that, the specifics are largely up to individual style, taste, needs, wardrobe, etc.
post #37 of 153
Btw, jrd: how long did it take you to arrange all your ties like that for the pics? OCD much??
post #38 of 153
Thread Starter 
Do you have to even ask? This is StyFo, after all. Everyone is OCD here smile.gif

Mainly wanted to take some good pictures to encourage others to post their collections. Took all of 5 mins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Btw, jrd: how long did it take you to arrange all your ties like that for the pics? OCD much??
post #39 of 153

Alright, I get it, thanks :) 

 

So I guess if you get a Navy striped and following the suggestion by jrd on the first page, one shouldn't go wrong, provided the colour and pattern fits well in your wardrobe. 

post #40 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Do you have to even ask? This is StyFo, after all. smile.gif

Mainly wanted to take some good pictures to encourage others to post their collections. Took all of 5 mins

Hehe. Not trying to knock you. I appreciate the pics! smile.gif I don't have nearly that many striped ties myself, otherwise I'd offer some pics, too... all lined-up and pretty...
post #41 of 153

^ still no harm in showing your collection :)

post #42 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Do you have to even ask? This is StyFo, after all. Everyone is OCD here smile.gif

The man got me there! nod[1].gif

In. Contribution later.
post #43 of 153
Thread Starter 
@Cleav can you inform us Yanks about current British customs on the wearing of regimental tie stripes?

Is it still a faux pas to wear a tie from a military unit that you have no connection to? Or have customs about that loosened?

From the Hober site:
Quote:
Many American gentlemen have philosophically decided that in the USA anything goes but while in Great Britain they will be much more careful with what they wear.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?61358-Which-way-should-Regimental-stripes-go
post #44 of 153
Here's mine.

Navy / blue family



Makers (from left to right):

Top row: Corneliani, E. G. Cappelli (via Ich_Dien), Charvet, RLP x 2, Brioni x 2

Bottom row: Isaia, RLPL x 2 (via Malford of London), Passaggio Cravatte (via Exquisite Trimmings), Isaia, Faconnable, Brioni

Linen, wool, and cashmere seasonal gear



Ede & Ravenscroft, Passaggio Cravatte (from Gianni, my favorite!), Isaia, Hansen & Jacob

And some random repps



Top row: Bruno Piattelli, RLPL x 2, Cesare Attolini (via PocketCircle), Canali, Faconnable, Drake's (via A Suitable Wardrobe), Sartoria Partenopea

Bottow row: Pal Zileri, Borrelli (via Ich_Dien), Kiton, RLP, Faconnable, Les Copains, Cappelli (via A Suitable Wardrobe), Brioni
Edited by Jamesgatz - 6/23/14 at 1:55am
post #45 of 153
Thread Starter 
^ JG icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties