• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

hugomano

Reaction score
Seems odd to have brown shoes and gray suit, even if it is a light shade. I just don't get how you match a color that, if darkened, hits black. Brown, however is in the yellow to reddish range.

Also, it looks weird to see gray and brown....it really bothers me. But black shoes and a gray suit with black buttons, nice contrast within the same color family....like Sean Connery in his bond days.

Brown shoes maybe can go with a medium blue suit, but even there, I like black shoes with a blue suit....just seems blue and brown are in different color families.

Anyone agree?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...you don't think brown shoes go with any suit? Good luck finding anybody to agree with that on here. Have you seen the shoe Appreciation thread?

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something like a pair of dark oak color shoes go very well with a gray suit.

hugomano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
So...you don't think brown shoes go with any suit? Good luck finding anybody to agree with that on here. Have you seen the shoe Appreciation thread?
Brown goes well with brown or tan suits only I think. Medium blue suits are borderline in my opinion.

NOLA1

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wow.

95% of the time I wear brown shoes with grey suits, 2.5% black, 2.5% oxblood

95% of the time I wear brown shoes with navy suits, 5% of the time oxblood, 0% black

100% of the time I wear black or grey shoes with black suits.

A good rule to follow for grey-brown is the lighter the grey, the lighter the brown and likewise the darker the darker.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugomano
Seems odd to have brown shoes and gray suit, even if it is a light shade. I just don't get how you match a color that, if darkened, hits black. Brown, however is in the yellow to reddish range.

Also, it looks weird to see gray and brown....it really bothers me. But black shoes and a gray suit with black buttons, nice contrast within the same color family....like Sean Connery in his bond days.

Brown shoes maybe can go with a medium blue suit, but even there, I like black shoes with a blue suit....just seems blue and brown are in different color families.

Anyone agree?

dude, your opinion is wrong.

hugomano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Wow.

95% of the time I wear brown shoes with grey suits, 2.5% black, 2.5% oxblood

95% of the time I wear brown shoes with navy suits, 5% of the time oxblood, 0% black

100% of the time I wear black or grey shoes with black suits.

A good rule to follow for grey-brown is the lighter the grey, the lighter the brown and likewise the darker the darker.

So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes?? That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense. Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'm not even that much of a brown shoes fan and I have to say that light grey trousers and cognac boots are an extremely stylish match.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm not even that much of a brown shoes fan

Heathen!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugomano
That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.
Black and navy clash. Black and grey looks lifeless and shopworn. brown and navy is the most classic color combination in the history of loin-girding (outside of the military). its not a matter of imagining or logic, its a matter of going to your closet and actually looking at what looks better. Failing that, go to the WAYWN thread and look at the thousands upon thousands of counter-arguments to your "theory" and I think you will see that, as I said, your opinion is wrong.

paul_lynch

Reaction score
It's a complement, not a match. Just like Americans wearing khaki pants with blue shirts, and not finding anything odd about the combination.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Interesting opinions here. I only wear brown shoes with gray suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads