• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first WW Chan Suit

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently received my first Chan suit - 3 piece, two button peak lapel, navy pinstripe. I'm quite pleased with it, and think Patrick did a great job with the measurements overall. I personally think it fits much better than my RTW, but I would like your comments since I have an appointment with Chan this week and want to tell him what measurements I would like to tweak for future orders. Also, please let me know if there is something I should have Chan fix with this suit. My main concerns are whether the shoulders fit right and the back drapes properly. Although the back drape isn't flat, it might be due to how my back is developed and the contours from my posture. It's something I notice even with larger jackets, so perhaps that's just how jackets drape on me. Let me know if this is something that should or could be fixed with MTM. The arms are pretty slim as well (per my request). Although I don't think the measurements restrict my movement, I'm wondering how slim the sleeves should be. I notice that my right sleeve needs to be adjusted to show more cuff (my preference) so it's even with the left. I also need to shorten the pant length. Should I have Chan address these two issues (in addition to any other suggestions)? I'm wondering if it's worth doing the back and forth shipping from hong kong, although I wouldn't want another tailor to mess with my suit. Thanks.
ChanPic8.jpg
ChanPic7.jpg
ChanPic6.jpg
ChanPic5.jpg
ChanPic3.jpg
ChanPic2.jpg
ChanPic1.jpg

oldseed

Reaction score
are you wearing those pants at the waist? they don't seem to fit right from the behind picture...

anyone can do the sleeves; the suit looks good.

seed

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
are you wearing those pants at the waist? they don't seem to fit right from the behind picture...

anyone can do the sleeves; the suit looks good.

seed

Thanks seed.

Pants are more or less at my waist, above my hip bone, but below my navel. I'm not sure what the pic shows, but I definitely feel the pants fit great, and except for the length, I wouldn't change the fit. I opted for side tabs with no belt loops.

Sleeves have working button holes, so I don't know if affects whether I should have Chan adjust it. Plus my preference is not to have to pay a different tailor more money to make the adjustments that should be taken care of with MTM, but I'm open to suggestions on people's experiences on how to take care of this.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
First of all, did you wear it straight out of the box?, there seems to be a lot of creasing . . .

I love the combo you are wearing, I would go with darker shoes though, here is where bugundy or black
peepwall[1].gif
would be called for.

Fit seems pretty good, but the waist supression seems to be in the wrong spot, I can't put my finger on it, shoudl we lower, I think . . .

I think the lapel should be a little narrower, especially as it seems that it is going over the chest pocket . . .

My $0.02 cents . . .

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
. . . the break is too much you are definitely going to have to reduce pant length . . .

offline100

Reaction score
Great looking three-piece man. The trousers are way too long, but that's easy to fix.

I also feel like there's a touch too much material in the back below the collar. Maybe you're standing up straighter than you were when you were measured, or maybe you're right that you just have a bony back. Let Patrick look at it when you see him -- and make sure to stand with your normal posture.

I don't think the arms look too slim. I think that's a good proportion for you.

What do you think about the side tabs? I almost went with these on my own first Chan I just ordered ... but someone else said they were bit flimsy and disappointing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a ******* awesome suit. Nothing wrong with it aside from the trousers, which are a bit too long. Well done.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are those plastic buttons?

your chest/waist ratio looks funky...

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other then the lapel seem wide to me I think it looks good. Pant length as others have mentioned.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think the suit looks great, overall. As already mentioned, the trousers need shortening. Maybe if you werent standing with your right shoulder drooping the sleeves might balance out a tad more? There wouldnt be much I'd change except stylistic details, which Ed said

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Chan suits being posted of late are quite nice, this one included. It's a damn shame that they won't do CMT anymore. Stocking up on cloth at TipTop and then having Chan go to work seems an excellent way to go bespoke at a friendly price point.

sfo423

Reaction score
What size cuff is that? 8"? Suit looks nice. Sytlistic "opinions" aside, good fit for first pass/out of the box.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done. Congrats. Aside from the concerns previously mentioned--right sleeve length and trouser length--I think it's a solid first effort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads