• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend boots and shoes

Goblin

Reaction score
I posted this pic in WAYWN, and wear this sort of thing a lot:
IMG_0144.jpg

Get Smart pointed out that from the ankles up, it is a fine manly look, but that the Vans juxtaposed with the rest of the outfit make me look like a pretty ballerina. He suggested boots.

I only have one pair of boots, a pair of greasy brown Doc Martens. My other casual shoes are:

- black Chuck hi-tops.
- black Chuck hi-tops, Sailor Jerry model.
- black-on-black Vans slip-ons, the ones that apparently make my feet look like I'm standing in a estrogen puddle.
- white Purcells.
- black and white brothel creepers.
- black captoes, beat to hell.

So, I wouldn't mind having a pair of black boots, and some advice about integrating the other shoes. I don't *always* wear cuffed jeans - I also have skinny black jeans and a pair of Acnes, neither of which are cuffed - but I'd say I wear the cuffed APCs about 90% of the time. I usually wear either western shirts, beat-up ocbds, or just a t-shirt with my jeans.

Engineer boots are probably out for me, I've tried them on and they feel costumey. They also make me feel like I have cinder blocks at the ends of my legs.

So, my questions:
1. What would be a nice black boot in the $150 to wear with the kind of ***** I'm rocking in the above pic?
2. What, out of my current casual shoe line-up, do you think would look all right with said *****?

Thanks as always!

bob

Reaction score
The guys in menswear love RM Williams boots. Its worth checking it out over there. There's a huge thread about it. And might i suggest you consider brown? If you are into said RMWs they have a colour called whiskey for their "craftsman" model which is quite lovely.

Alternately you may be interested in alden boots, like the indy boot or one of their cordovan boots. Check out leather soul hawaii's website.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
what happened to not expanding your shoe collection?
tounge.gif

Same thing that always happens when I start hanging around this wretched hive of scum and villainy again ... I start thinking "****, $150 won't kill me, and I can stop any time I want."
frown.gif

Someone suggested black chucks, which seems like it might work but I would do black laces with them instead of the standard white laces.
interesting ...

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
The guys in menswear love RM Williams boots. Its worth checking it out over there. There's a huge thread about it. And might i suggest you consider brown? If you are into said RMWs they have a colour called whiskey for their "craftsman" model which is quite lovely.

Alternately you may be interested in alden boots, like the indy boot or one of their cordovan boots. Check out leather soul hawaii's website.

I wear an awful lot of black and I can never bring myself to wear, for instance, a black button-down, hoodie, or jacket with brown boots. It just feels weird. So I'd like to add some black boots.

I was going to order a pair of the Alden-of-Carmel shell cordovan boots earlier in the year, but they said they wouldn't have my size in until May, and by May, the urge to spend $525 on boots had passed.

I think my creepers look nice with the posted look but they're really more of a "going out" shoe than an everyday thing for me.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I wear an awful lot of black and I can never bring myself to wear, for instance, a black button-down, hoodie, or jacket with brown boots. It just feels weird. So I'd like to add some black boots.

I was going to order a pair of the Alden-of-Carmel shell cordovan boots earlier in the year, but they said they wouldn't have my size in until May, and by May, the urge to spend $525 on boots had passed.

I think my creepers look nice with the posted look but they're really more of a "going out" shoe than an everyday thing for me.

You can get the RM Williams Craftsman in black. It really is an amazing boot, dressy enough for, um dressy stuff, but solid enough for normal wear. and not costumey at all, just a straight up awesome chelsea boot. It'll probably be closer to $250 though, but worth it. for real.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
One of my friends has these Red Wing loggers which are actually really cool IRL, if you don't mind a heavier boot. Price is around your range too

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even with the buzz-cut (at least it looks so from the grainy picture), the cuffs, tats, burns and shirt are giving off a definate rockabilly/50's vibe. Therefore, chucks, engineer boots or creepers would seem to be your logical choice. However, if you mellowed out on one or two of the above (obviously not the tats), you could deploy your beat up cap-toes or a scuffed-up pair of old-school combat boots (thrifted or ebayed for cheap). A pair of Clark's dessert boots or wallabees could give a little more of a mod edge as well.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cocostella
Even with the buzz-cut (at least it looks so from the grainy picture), the cuffs, tats, burns and shirt are giving off a definate rockabilly/50's vibe.
The very short haircut is definitely a temporary thing that I do once or twice a year and invariably regret for a few months afterwards ... my default haircut is like so:
l_39d7d218bfd7e6432c9d097bbc867859.jpg

(aka, a horrible mess because I get cowlicks and it's pointless to try to do anything other than revel in the blight)

I like the Red Wings posted ... I *really* like the RM Williams chelseas but they're a bit more than I really want to spend right now.

If I decide to get by on what I've got -- a distinct possibility, as I'm actually trying to *shrink* my wardrobe
blush.gif
-- then I'm thinking the Docs when I'm not wearing black, and a rotation of Chucks/beat captoes/beat wingtips/creepers when I am.

What kind of socks would you wear with jeans and beat up black ex-dress shoes?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Red Wings are badass. Probably TOO badass. If I saw somebody wearing those, I'd wonder where he parked his rusted out Ford F150, and what kind of chainsaw he has hidden under the front seat.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Those are the perfect boots (in the leather, not the fabric/suede).

Quite a few of us here have them as well, and I think each fella would agree they're the business.

and that's a good price at $240 (shipping would prolly be around $30-40 extra)

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I've been wanting those boots so bad since I first saw them. Can't find my size anywhere T_T

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads