• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a return or a keeper?

skyhandglow

Reaction score
http://www.mistershop.com/mezlannicola.html got the black ones for $139 at a nordstrom rack thats about as high as i can go for a pair of shoes. Aslo, they are narrow and fit well, as i have never seen a narrow shoe b4. i couldnt find any allen edmonds, although i may have seen a couple of ferragamo... what do u think? a keeper or a return? anything better to be had? tommorow is my last day o shop (i live in the bay area and have gone pretty much everywhere except frisco)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is the problem with those shoes, the deerskin/high contrast calfskin combo is a dud for business wear. For casualwear, the deerskin might work, but not the shiny leather. They might work for clubbing type of activities. Depending on what you need them for, you might want to go the Allen Edmonds route.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Here is the problem with those shoes, Mezlan quality is terrible. Depending on what you need them for, you absolutely want to go the Allen Edmonds route.
fixed it for you Ed

skyhandglow

Reaction score
for some reason they look kind of nice to me and fit rather well. i do like the soft and supple deer leather but am still split as to whether or not i like the contrast of the dull and shine as edmoral mentioned. but as i look more and more at allen edmonds, i dont think i can afford them....... as for wearing them for club or business, they are fine for my work, as i am not in very reserved, professional environment. its a little bit more upbeat and open in terms of fashion.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyhandglow
for some reason they look kind of nice to me and fit rather well. i do like the soft and supple deer leather but am still split as to whether or not i like the contrast of the dull and shine as edmoral mentioned. but as i look more and more at allen edmonds, i dont think i can afford them....... as for wearing them for club or business, they are fine for my work, as i am not in very reserved, professional environment. its a little bit more upbeat and open in terms of fashion.

You can buy Allen Edmonds seconds for around $139 or less. See eBay. You can buy a much better AE for $139 than those two-tone turds from Mezlan.

skyhandglow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
You can buy Allen Edmonds seconds for around $139 or less. See eBay. You can buy a much better AE for $139 than those two-tone turds from Mezlan.
thats rather harsh isnt it? well i will check out ebay, but the thing is i cant see myself buying shoes unless i try them on first, especially dress shoes. but we will see, i may still keep these just because they are rather different, i do want at least 2 pairs of shoes so i can let each shoe freshen up every other day. also, what makes allen edmonds shoes so superior?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats rather harsh isnt it? well i will check out ebay, but the thing is i cant see myself buying shoes unless i try them on first, especially dress shoes. but we will see, i may still keep these just because they are rather different, i do want at least 2 pairs of shoes so i can let each shoe freshen up every other day.

The great thing about AEs is that they are consistent in sizing. You can try them on in your local store to get a fit.

I bought two pairs of AEs in person to figure out my size. I have since bought six more pairs on eBay in the same size and all fit perfectly, even though they are on different lasts.

skyhandglow

Reaction score
wow. hmm, i know there is an allen edmonds in san francisco, i guess i will have to check them out soon.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, what makes allen edmonds shoes so superior?
the quality of the leather and the construction (those Mezlan's are made out of glue). A apir of AEs will easily last 3 times as long as the Mezlans. And once they are worn out, you can send them to AE for "recrafting" and they'll send them back to you like new, for less than the cost of the Mezlans. don't pay retail though. One of the best things about AE is how easy they are to find on ebay for half or even more off the MSRP. do a search on this forum, you'll find pleanty of info to convince you.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow. hmm, i know there is an allen edmonds in san francisco, i guess i will have to check them out soon.

The construction of AEs is superb. At their retail price of $305, they represent the best value in the shoe business. You could pay $1200 for a pair of shoes with the same construction. At $120-150, then, they are great deals. Hold an AE in one hand and a Kenneth Cole/Mezlan/Florsheim in the other and you will know the difference. No affilation.

The downfall of AEs is that they are big and bulky and not particulary sexy. However, the Park Avenue and the Birmingham (for instance) are very attractive and sleek shoes nonetheless. When you're ready, you can upgrade to C&Js from PLAL (www.plal.com).

skyhandglow

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'm convinced. im drooling over some of those crocket & jones shoes, but i'd have to be a millionaire to buy a pair of those!

so i researched the allen edmonds site and WOW. their stuff does look very clean and refined. I really like the new McClains. I didnt even realize that so many widths exist, therefore i'd definitely have to try on a few to get the right size and width.

the park avenues look very classic as well. I think i'll sleep on whtehr or not to keep the mezlans, because then maybe i could wear them until either i find a discounted allen edmonds shoe, or buy the mcclain. fair enough?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i'm convinced. im drooling over some of those crocket & jones shoes, but i'd have to be a millionaire to buy a pair of those!

the park avenues look very classic as well. I think i'll sleep on whtehr or not to keep the mezlans, because then maybe i could wear them until either i find a discounted allen edmonds shoe, or buy the mcclain. fair enough?

Take them back. Buy Park Avenue in Merlot. Be happy.

C&J Benchgrades are $350 or so on PLAL's site, so you might not need to be a millionaire.

skyhandglow

Reaction score
wow, you guys are sooo bad......so much peer pressure, haha. after looking some more, i'd really like to have the McClain - MacNeil (this is my fav, very striking) and then the Park Avenue.......

so the only way to get allen edmonds shoes discounted is on ebay?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, you guys are sooo bad......so much peer pressure, haha. after looking some more, i'd really like to have the McClain - MacNeil (this is my fav, very striking) and then the Park Avenue.......

so the only way to get allen edmonds shoes discounted is on ebay?

Nordstrom has them on discount sometimes. Local shoe stores sometimes have them on discount -- I bought a pair of Birminghams for $79 and Bentleys for $129. DSW gets a few pairs. Allen Edmonds has a few factory stores that they sell them at a discount. eBay is a great place for them, though, and AE themselves sell them there brand new as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads