or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What shoes with jeans/kahkis?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What shoes with jeans/kahkis?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone, this is my first post.
I've been wanting to update my clothes as I know I probably look horrid to most anyone with fashion sense, but not so bad that anyone says anything...
Before getting to my question, I'll try to give you an idea of my current wardrobe/style.
Levi's 501 jeans, brown belt, brown Vans(currently short, brown leather converse all stars), white socks, shortsleeve button up untucked, fawn brown drivers hat.
Pretty much the same thing everyday except I change my shirts.

Problems I'm having is that I realize I should have been wearing brown socks all along... Also the jeans and shoes barely last me a year. I've always been a tightwad and consider $50+ for shoes, and $40+ for jeans to be extravagant. But the more research I do, I realize that the cost difference in say raw denim Gustin's will likely out way the cost difference. And a pair of quality leather shoes that can be resoled could last me a lifetime, so even if the cost $300, they would pay for themselves in 5 years.

I'll be 30 this year, and it's past time I got my act together.

So this is my proposed new look: proper leather shoes/boots. Brown socks. Gustin or unbranded Jeans, brown belt, long sleeved shirt tucked in, I'll probably keep the drivers hat. Would it look funny if the tan/fawn hat is lighter than the shoes/belt?

Basically I'm going for this look
, but I'm not Asian, I'm a bearded white guy smile.gif


So now to my question, finally :/

I need help with shoes. My limited research has brought me to Clark's desert boots and Allen Edmonds Strand.

My thoughts/concerns/questions:

* Can DBs be resoled? If so could I expect a lifetime of use from the waxed ones? Are they too casual for the occasional need to wear kahkis when the grandparents invite us to dinner at the country club?

* Will the AE strands look to much like cowboy boots with jeans? Too dressy for jeans? Any other models I should consider for my purposes with a similar toe point?

* Any OTHER brands/models I should be looking at that could go well with jeans and Kahkis, and can be resoled and used the rest of my life?

Oh, and I should mention I don't like having to choose an outfit everyday, so the only thing that will be changed on a daily basis will be my shirt, socks, and underwear, so the shoes will be worn 300 days a year.
post #2 of 8
Go with Alden, my special little flower.
post #3 of 8
I do not think shoes are recommended to be worn without a break. 300 days a year may be hyperbole but if you actually were serious, then it would not be realistic. Consider multiple options.
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
But I was serious. Unless I'm hiking, or wearing sandals with shorts in the dead of summer, I wear the same shoes everyday. My weekdays are spent sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours, followed by sitting in my car for 7 hours, so they aren't exactly being abused except for weekends perhaps.

Why shouldn't shoes be worn consecutively? If so should I just have two pairs that alternate weekly? Or daily?
post #5 of 8
I have read that shoe makers recommend to allow 24 hrs of rest for shoes so that they are allowed to dry/remove moisture. Shoe trees aid with this. Im sure I read it on the menswear subforum.

But I think one pair of shoes will not suffice for work and casual occasions. Never mind all the sub categories for casual occasions.
post #6 of 8
Brown socks?? Where did you get that idea? Seems like a poor idea, I would stick with black/navy/grey.

This whole resoling will pay for itself us kinda nonsense. Resoles usually costs 70+ I beleive, depending on a bunch of factors. You can buy a fresh pair of clarks on sale for that or two pairs of vans on sale. DB's can be resoled but its another debate whether its worth the money for cheaper shoes.

Your 501's should last almost as long as a pair of gustins which are double the price.

What I'm saying is, don't kid youself into thinking you will save money, im not saying dont buy this stuff, im saying buy it for your own enjoyment not any monetary reasons.

Also if you want to keep the drivers hat, be honest with yourself if you can pull it off. IMO too many people look like tools in them.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

 

 

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I'll address some of the comments below.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roscius View Post

I have read that shoe makers recommend to allow 24 hrs of rest for shoes so that they are allowed to dry/remove moisture. Shoe trees aid with this. Im sure I read it on the menswear subforum.

But I think one pair of shoes will not suffice for work and casual occasions. Never mind all the sub categories for casual occasions.

 

So what you're saying is that not only do I need to spend more money, but that I need to spend even more money? Oooooooh, I'm dyyyying!

 

As far as work/casual/subcategories of casual; they are all the same in my life. If I wear a button up shirt to work with my jeans, people ask why I'm all dressed up. It's a very casual office/cube farm. Getting "dressed up" for me, is putting on a pair of khakis to go to dinner, because my grandparents country club doesn't allow jeans.

At least this far in my life, I've gotten away with one pair of shoes, one pair of sandals, and one pair of black cap toes for interviews, etc.

If I did get a second pair of shoes "because they need to rest for 24 hours", it would likely be the exact same pair or very similar.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAJJLLPP View Post

Brown socks?? Where did you get that idea? Seems like a poor idea, I would stick with black/navy/grey.

This whole resoling will pay for itself us kinda nonsense. Resoles usually costs 70+ I beleive, depending on a bunch of factors. You can buy a fresh pair of clarks on sale for that or two pairs of vans on sale. DB's can be resoled but its another debate whether its worth the money for cheaper shoes.

Your 501's should last almost as long as a pair of gustins which are double the price.

What I'm saying is, don't kid youself into thinking you will save money, im not saying dont buy this stuff, im saying buy it for your own enjoyment not any monetary reasons.

Also if you want to keep the drivers hat, be honest with yourself if you can pull it off. IMO too many people look like tools in them.

 

Well, I can see your viewpoint since I've seen it suggested to match either your pants or your shoes, but I grew up matching my shoes when dressing up for more formal stuff, so I just stuck with that theme. I don't, however, understand your suggestion for black socks with jeans and brown shoes. That seems to go against everything I've ever known...

 

Well, yes, I guess the resoling was more in reference to expensive AEs. I think if I got clarks, I would just replace them as I currently do with vans/converse. I also understand a resole would basically be the cost of a new pair of shoes, but I would think good leather soles would last a bit longer than the rubber soles that I currently wear out in a year or less. Actually, even the soles themselves aren't quite worn through, it's usually that they all start delaminating around the year mark. So if I have a shoe that's not laminated, it should go longer, and the leather I think would take longer still to wear through.

So, instead of $60/year what I'm currently paying, it would be $300 now, then $70 ever 2 or 3 years?

 

Also, getting a nicer pair of shoes isn't so much that it would be cheaper in the long run, as it would be a nice pair of shoes that I could keep and appreciate forever. Something worth fixing and taking care of, instead of treating them as disposable.

 

 

Jeans, yes, Gustins are about double the price of 501s(if I get them on sale), and perhaps you are right, they may not last twice as long, but I suspect they would last quite a while longer just by the fact they are a heavier denim, not to mention that they haven't been pre worn out(washed). Considering I currently wear through a pair of 501s in about a year if I have 2 pairs to rotate every week, I'm considering at least giving the Raw Selvedge a shot and seeing how it compares. Who knows, maybe it turns out it isn't cost effective, or I just plain don't like the fit/wear, I could always go back to 501s.

 

Like you said, I am mostly looking to change because I want to/like the look. I don't think I'll actually SAVE money. I'm just trying to justify the cost increases to myself and wife. I'm not the type to buy $300 shoes if I'm going to replace them every year like I do with my $60 shoes. That's just extravagant and I can't afford it. I CAN afford it, however, if it reduces my recurring costs in some way.

 

 

Driving hat/flat cap: Well, I think I pull it off. At least noone has said I look like a tool. I think it works for me with my beard and thick hair. At least, I think my brothers look good in them, and we aren't that different looking. I'm currently growing my hair out too, so it has to look better than my in-between stage, unruly hair. I've tried fedoras, but I definitely look like a tool in those...

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray4540 View Post
 

Well, I can see your viewpoint since I've seen it suggested to match either your pants or your shoes, but I grew up matching my shoes when dressing up for more formal stuff, so I just stuck with that theme. I don't, however, understand your suggestion for black socks with jeans and brown shoes. That seems to go against everything I've ever known...

 

Well, yes, I guess the resoling was more in reference to expensive AEs. I think if I got clarks, I would just replace them as I currently do with vans/converse. I also understand a resole would basically be the cost of a new pair of shoes, but I would think good leather soles would last a bit longer than the rubber soles that I currently wear out in a year or less. Actually, even the soles themselves aren't quite worn through, it's usually that they all start delaminating around the year mark. So if I have a shoe that's not laminated, it should go longer, and the leather I think would take longer still to wear through.

So, instead of $60/year what I'm currently paying, it would be $300 now, then $70 ever 2 or 3 years?

 

Also, getting a nicer pair of shoes isn't so much that it would be cheaper in the long run, as it would be a nice pair of shoes that I could keep and appreciate forever. Something worth fixing and taking care of, instead of treating them as disposable.

 

 

Jeans, yes, Gustins are about double the price of 501s(if I get them on sale), and perhaps you are right, they may not last twice as long, but I suspect they would last quite a while longer just by the fact they are a heavier denim, not to mention that they haven't been pre worn out(washed). Considering I currently wear through a pair of 501s in about a year if I have 2 pairs to rotate every week, I'm considering at least giving the Raw Selvedge a shot and seeing how it compares. Who knows, maybe it turns out it isn't cost effective, or I just plain don't like the fit/wear, I could always go back to 501s.

 

Like you said, I am mostly looking to change because I want to/like the look. I don't think I'll actually SAVE money. I'm just trying to justify the cost increases to myself and wife. I'm not the type to buy $300 shoes if I'm going to replace them every year like I do with my $60 shoes. That's just extravagant and I can't afford it. I CAN afford it, however, if it reduces my recurring costs in some way.

 

 

Driving hat/flat cap: Well, I think I pull it off. At least noone has said I look like a tool. I think it works for me with my beard and thick hair. At least, I think my brothers look good in them, and we aren't that different looking. I'm currently growing my hair out too, so it has to look better than my in-between stage, unruly hair. I've tried fedoras, but I definitely look like a tool in those...

 

Regarding the matching, in classic menswear it is more often recommended to match them to your pants. But I really do not think the rules cross over into casual wear. To each his own but I think brown socks would look a bit odd.

 

Hypothetically speaking if you resoled your 300$ shoes every 3 years, for 70$, it would take a bit over 8 years of wearing the exact same shoes to break even compared to 60$ a year vans. Leather soles wear much faster than rubber, especially if you plan on wearing them everyday without breaks, if that includes wearing them in the rain without days for rest, I think you would be hard pressed to get a year out of them. If you want something to last a bit longer get dress shoes with a dainite sole (company that makes nice sleek rubber soles for many shoe manufacturers) or something similar.

 

You can buy raw 501's that would last longer than the normal ones. The denim on 501's is reasonably nice and tough, they are great bang for your buck. 

 

All that said, Im not trying to persuade you away from buying this stuff. I think it is definitely worth spending a bit extra, especially if you get lots of wear and enjoyment from the items.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What shoes with jeans/kahkis?