i used to skate years ago, like middle and early high school. still bummed I quit.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on 12/14/16 at 11:47am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:05 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 2:42 am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II - Page 1354post #20296 of 2723411/14/15 at 2:46pmpost #20297 of 2723411/14/15 at 3:00pmQuote:
I don't know.
Skateboarding is cool and fun and all of that, but I'm pretty tired of the "fashionising" of skateboarding, skaters and the scene (I'm assuming here that the thread would be about skateboarding "fashion" and/or style, not actually skating). Somehow those attempts tend to turn out quite bad imo.post #20298 of 2723411/14/15 at 3:28pmpost #20299 of 2723411/14/15 at 6:10pmpost #20300 of 2723411/14/15 at 6:38pmpost #20301 of 2723411/14/15 at 7:07pmQuote:
Cool vid. If I could cruise around doing fs shoves, wallies, manuals, and the occasional kickflip I would be totally satisfied with that. Unfortunately those things take skill, athleticism, and practice.Quote:Originally Posted by conceptionist
I don't know.
Skateboarding is cool and fun and all of that, but I'm pretty tired of the "fashionising" of skateboarding, skaters and the scene (I'm assuming here that the thread would be about skateboarding "fashion" and/or style, not actually skating). Somehow those attempts tend to turn out quite bad imo.
Do you mean the appropriation/incorporation of skate culture into broader fashion or the evolution of style (like, clothing) within skating? I think both can be pretty interesting although I agree that the former can lead to not so great results, like with the broadening of any intense subculture. Always down to talk about old Stussy shirts, baggy washed jeans, and skate shoes.post #20302 of 2723411/14/15 at 8:41pmpost #20303 of 2723411/14/15 at 11:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Do you mean the appropriation/incorporation of skate culture into broader fashion or the evolution of style (like, clothing) within skating? I think both can be pretty interesting although I agree that the former can lead to not so great results, like with the broadening of any intense subculture. Always down to talk about old Stussy shirts, baggy washed jeans, and skate shoes.
I meant the former, the incorporation of skate culture within broader fashion. Typically its seen in fashion magazines, ads and lookbooks and the whole aesthetic is often way off, say for instance a guy in a super expensive full SZ kit (RO, BBS, etc) doing a lousy ollie or something. In my eyes it comes off as clueless of skateboarding and as taking advantage of it, maybe just because of poor execution. It doesn't feel real (in lack of a better word). Its like the people responsible never skated. I think it can be done in a good way, I just don't see that as often. That Barneys clip is pretty bad imo. I don't understand who its targeted to, and just seeing someone so dressed up on a board is quite ridiculous.
The other, that is the style within skateboarding, is much more interesting imo. I think a thread (or whatever portrait or discussion of it) can be done well if its about the history, changes over time (from surfer style in the beginnings, hiphop/baggy clothes in the 90s, punk/tight pants around 2000, etc) and skaters expression through clothing, music and so on.
Edited by conceptionist - 11/14/15 at 11:30pmpost #20304 of 2723411/14/15 at 11:27pmI love skating (been doing it since I was 4) and love "fashion" (my chosen career) but NEVER NEVER NEVER will I combine the 2. They should be kept separate and every time I see an ad with a model holding a skateboard with the trucks set up backwards or some other bullshit I simply add that brand to my list of companies I will never buy anything from.post #20305 of 2723411/14/15 at 11:59pmDid you actually see an ad where they had the trucks on backwards?!? Hilarious.
I got out of skating (and surfing too obviously… no waves) for a while when I was living overseas. But returning to the US and moving to California, I just felt the itch again and really couldn't fathom living in Cali without having at least a longboard for cruising. I looked around, started getting all my tools and gear together... bought a deck, some trucks, wheels, etc. and put that shit together (street deck). I'm still not smooth at all, but just like riding a bike you never lose it and it doesn't hurt that I'm in about 1,000x better shape than I was.
One of my neighbors was busting my balls …. "Hey teenager!".
"Piss off man …. you know Bob Burnquist is like 50 right? No of course you don't know that."post #20306 of 2723411/15/15 at 5:52amI wish snorkeling was cool. Imagine the Barneys ad for FW16
An overhead shot of open water, all blue and placid. Then a dark shape drifts in from screen left. It's a super cool snorkeler, all decked out in Rick and Haider and Yohji, but it's hard to tell which is which since the whole outfit is drenched in water and fish poop. The snorkeler stops in the center of the frame, spits out his mouthpiece, and looks at the camera. "I just saw some motherfucking coral," he shouts.
Then another dark shape approaches from beneath. It's a shark, who has just mistaken our model and all his drapey blackness for a seal. The shark seizes the model by the leg and drags him downward until all we see is open water once again. Seconds later, a bloody Rick Owens coat floats up to the surface. The fall winter 2016 collections, coming soon to Barneys.post #20307 of 2723411/15/15 at 6:55am
@Kid Nickels I got sent on a service call at work to a house in a remote area of where I live. There was a "Flintstonian" looking skateboard sculpture in front of the gate of the large property. The guy that had requested assistance turned out to be Bob Burnquist's father. When he opened the gate and took me to the area of the property where the problem was, we passed a huge set of vert ramps and half pipes, complete with filming towers and seating. His backyard ramps are insanely high and had to be 50 yards in length. I did not get to see Burnquist as he was not there at the time, but his dad was cool.post #20308 of 2723411/15/15 at 8:10ampost #20309 of 2723411/15/15 at 9:11ampost #20310 of 2723411/15/15 at 9:14am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Junkard Boots 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › Winter Boots 5 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...