Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II Last post on Today at 4:02 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread Last post on Today at 1:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Eidos Napoli Last post on 9/18/14 at 2:53am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 397post #5941 of 74628/25/14 at 11:15am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5942 of 74628/25/14 at 11:27ampost #5943 of 74628/25/14 at 11:41amQuote:
Seriously? With a suit, sure. But with a tie...? That's a little far no?
I mean, granted this is SF and opinions are always strong, but BD's are a pretty trad staple with odd jackets etc., no?post #5944 of 74628/25/14 at 11:45ampost #5945 of 74628/25/14 at 11:45amQuote:Bit of both. About an inch shorter than I prefer, but I thought close enough to be passable, esp. given it's uniqueness.Quote:
Here I have to disagree. I gave this a lot of thought. Ultimately I concluded that seersucker's inherently un-dressyness demands something less dressy than a formal spread collar. It's the whole harmony thing. I don't have an example handy, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Vox wear button collar with something similarly summery. YMMV, but that's where I came out.post #5946 of 74628/25/14 at 11:49ampost #5947 of 74628/25/14 at 11:51amQuote:Quote:
GMMcL, a spread collar isn't inherently formal. A spread might be *more* formal, but a shirt in that same fabric with a soft collar would look fine. Does the jacket CYA?post #5948 of 74628/25/14 at 11:56ampost #5949 of 74628/25/14 at 12:05pmpost #5950 of 74628/25/14 at 12:09pmQuote:
Yeah, I think that's more the issue here. I think it's more that *THIS* shirt doesn't work. Which is helpful, since I sometimes need a push to purge stuff that doesn't work on me. But I'm still convinced that BD has its place in MC, and indeed sometimes when only a BD will work (harmoniously).
Same thing with white shirts.Quote:
Fair. But I've seen oxford cloth semi spreads, and I don't like them. Cloth and collar are in tension. And didn't you say for the "rule breaker" challenge that one of the rules you were breaking was wearing a spread collar shirt with separates?
And yes sir. We're all covered up back there.post #5951 of 74628/25/14 at 12:39pmpost #5952 of 74628/25/14 at 1:03pmpost #5953 of 74628/25/14 at 1:07pmQuote:
Thank you Spectre, will try a solid next timepost #5954 of 74628/25/14 at 2:01pmpost #5955 of 74628/25/14 at 3:05pmQuote:
I actually think that was a really nice use of the darker shirt, but it would certainly be a bit safer to go for a lighter one.
JHT, though I really like both the tie and the jacket, I do agree that they aren't quite perfect for each other. Is the tie a knit?
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 27 seconds ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 40 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › Umberto Ginocchietti sweater size M or L 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...