or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2822

post #42316 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Naturally, I approve.

post #42317 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Can anyone explain the history behind the rule that dictates the wing collar as being more formal than a normal, turndown one?

It's one of those looks that has always seemed a bit "off" to me. Still, dig the rig CM

It is more formal (from white tie) if it is a detachable, stiff starched collar. It is not more formal if as on a thousand rental shirts it is part of the shirt, soft, and undersized.

 

Personally, I always go turndown with black tie. It's supposed to be a relaxed dinner outfit after all. Introducing distance with formality doesn't quite fit the philosophy of the occasion.

post #42318 of 44067

Friday Challenge-inspired pairing, but truth be told I've always liked blue trousers with green jackets.  

 

 

post #42319 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

1st October and cooler temp' s so taking the opportunity to wear..

 

 

Yes....and more yes.

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


 

 

 

 

 

Very nice.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 

Friday Challenge-inspired pairing, but truth be told I've always liked blue trousers with green jackets.  

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Can't go wrong with that IMO.

post #42320 of 44067
A special weekend edition - dinner at Le Bernardin with husband and Bernoulli, visiting from out of town.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - BB MTM
Tie - Charvet
Braces - New & Lingwood
Vintage watch chain
Cufflinks - Niletti Creations
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









Finally, a "lifestyle" photo - dessert at the restaurant:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


post #42321 of 44067

Going semiformal today. Apologies for the rather poor picture quality and dirty mirror.
post #42322 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycl View Post
 

Smashing tux! Looks like Midnight Navy in pic or is it black? Neither my monitor or eyeballs are likely calibrated properly.Mildly agree about shirt showing but that's always hard to get right in a photo. I expect it's fine. cheers!

 

It's black, but @Roy Al is right. The shirt sleeves are too short. I just didn't have the time to get a new shirt.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

 

Naturally, I approve.

 

:slayer:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

 

Very nice.

 

Thx.

 

From last night (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For all those who don't like standing collars with tuxedos...

 

post #42323 of 44067


First Sunday of October. Day after Michigan's first quality win since the days of Zadok, the Priest.
post #42324 of 44067
Caustic Man, the tux is amazing. Th wing collar is a must. And is not used a lot these days.

Something to be remedied indeed.

UprCrust quite a beautiful place to have a dinner, Eric Ripert's cuisine should be an enchantment.

I see all the lucky ones who can start enjoying flannels and tweeds. Here in Madrid, it is still quite hot...
post #42325 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

For all those who don't like standing collars with tuxedos...

 

Done properly (and yours looks like it was done properly) I think it looks pretty good. I recently bought a stiff-fronted shirt and a couple of wing collars from Darcy. I have yet to wear them, but I will. If I don't like it, I won't wear them again, but I figured I had to give it a try.

post #42326 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

 

Done properly (and yours looks like it was done properly) I think it looks pretty good. I recently bought a stiff-fronted shirt and a couple of wing collars from Darcy. I have yet to wear them, but I will. If I don't like it, I won't wear them again, but I figured I had to give it a try.


Do you know of any shirt makers who will do a standing collar tuxedo shirt with custom sleeve lengths? I'm in a weird in-between size.

post #42327 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 


Do you know of any shirt makers who will do a standing collar tuxedo shirt with custom sleeve lengths? I'm in a weird in-between size.


Not MTM, although I haven't honestly looked for one. Obviously, custom makes like Budd will make you anything you want.

 

I bought my shirt from Darcy. It's their "washable" stiff-fronted model, along with a couple of regular wing collars that I'm treating more or less as disposable items. The sleeves on the shirt were about an inch too long, so I had them taken up by my alterations person.

post #42328 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 


Not MTM, although I haven't honestly looked for one. Obviously, custom makes like Budd will make you anything you want.

 

I bought my shirt from Darcy. It's their "washable" stiff-fronted model, along with a couple of regular wing collars that I'm treating more or less as disposable items. The sleeves on the shirt were about an inch too long, so I had them taken up by my alterations person.


I haven't decided whether I will go MTM or just do what you did and get a shirt with longer sleeves and have it taken up. Double cuffs are so hard to get right!

post #42329 of 44067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

1st October and cooler temp' s so taking the opportunity to wear...

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







...green and blue!

Those pics bring back memories: I have a friend who lives in Bedford with the same gravel type driveway adjoining his country house.

 

But I'm guessing that is a very common thing in the English countryside.

 

We made it to a couple of Henley Royal Regatta's while I was visiting.

 

Beautiful outfit and pictures.

post #42330 of 44067
Navy and grey and white with navy, grey and white.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)