or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2586

post #38776 of 44046
I think Jif has a point, assuming he means Vox
post #38777 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post


What an odd thing to say on a board that is essentially dedicated to the idolization of an American guy living in Cambridge.


I don't think this is necessarily the case. Yes, American Trad has a decent representation, but it is by no means the standard of this forum or thread. I personally see a very heavy European influence especially considering how many European posters we have.

post #38778 of 44046
Fwiw, I didn't read it as a particular style being lacking, but rather that just there are very few Americans in general (regardless of preferred style) who fit the bill.
post #38779 of 44046
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

What an odd thing to say on a board that is essentially dedicated to the idolization of an American guy living in Cambridge.

SF is a small part of a very large #menswear world.

I didn't figure out you were speaking about Vox until I read on (for some reason, I thought Cambridge, UK). Vox is less in the business than Crompton is.
post #38780 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

SF is a small part of a very large #menswear world.

Yes - and that is part of what makes your statement so ludicrous. You might have only asian and European style icons but let me guess: you live in either asia or Europe? Don't extrapolate too much from your own experience. Think bigger.
post #38781 of 44046
Thread Starter 
American in America.

Though I lived in South Korea for several years, been back Stateside for a while. So who is the American Mark Cho or Alan See or Luca or Chad Park or Ethan or Takahiro Osaki? I don't know how well known the Shibumi guys are outside of this forum and the German forum, but I often see them on tumblrs and IG accounts from people around the world. I just can't think of an American equivalent, though I see the Beckett & Robb guys reblogged regularly

Same with bloggers. Mostly European.

The most popular American blog I can think of, PTO, has no single personality (to its credit, maybe). Certainly no iGent icon.

---

Please note, I am not suggesting Anglophone countries dress poorly, though I suppose an argument could be made for America. Don't know I'd buy that.

Just that there are relatively few American iGent icons given out wealth, population, and level of technology. None of the people I can think if with significant cross-national appeals and followings are American.
Edited by Claghorn - 6/11/16 at 12:58pm
post #38782 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Can we PLEASE talk about useless subjects again? I'm personally getting sick of both the moronic racist comments and the the self righteous moral policing that follows it.


Give me a fucking break.

 

Too bad if you think I'm being self-righteous, I really don't care. But if you don't condemn his kind of bullshit, then you are implicitly permitting it.

post #38783 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Why are there European (continental) and Asian iGent i-cons but there are none really from the Anglophone countries? I guess Simon Crompton, but he isn't really in the business in the same way as the Armoury, Liverano, B&T type guys are. And the closest America has is Beckett & Rob.

Are Americans too fat and British too stuffy to have the requisite steez? (and what of Oceania and Canada?)

 

Isn't Jake Grantham english and Joe Ha australian?

post #38784 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

So who is the American Mark Cho or Alan See or Luca or Chad Park Ethan or Takahiro Osaki? I don't know how well known the Shibumi guys are outside of this forum and the German forum, but I often see them on tumblrs and IG accounts from people around the world.

 

I get what you are saying and I agree. Maybe it's just a different world culturally and the white noise is such that it's harder for "icons" to rise to the top in the U.S. but I don't know if I see an American equivalent to the people you mentioned. Perhaps we are simply too democratic and loath to follow anyone TOO closely.

post #38785 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDauba View Post
 

 

Isn't Jake Grantham english and Joe Ha australian?


Who?

post #38786 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDauba View Post

Isn't Jake Grantham english and Joe Ha australian?

Grantham is English, a Londoner in fact.
post #38787 of 44046
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDauba View Post

Isn't Jake Grantham english and Joe Ha australian?

Ethan too. Though they became well known working in HK I think

Oceania is probably decently represented. England too if you include blogger personalities.

---

I like Caustic's interpretation.

It also might be that Americans value their privacy more than others. Certainly true vs Koreans.
post #38788 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Ethan too. Though they became well known working in HK I think

Oceania is probably decently represented. England too if you include blogger personalities.

---

I like Caustic's interpretation.

It also might be that Americans value their privacy more than others. Certainly true vs Koreans.

Well, I dont know about that. Scandinavians are probably more fiercely private than anyone else. But that's mostly IRL, less so online.
post #38789 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


Who?

Armoury dude. The redhead with the painfully awful (though perhaps that his sprezz lol) posture and rounded shoulders.

Note: I really dig his style, but looking at his pics hurt my spine.
post #38790 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Why are there European (continental) and Asian iGent i-cons but there are none really from the Anglophone countries? I guess Simon Crompton, but he isn't really in the business in the same way as the Armoury, Liverano, B&T type guys are. And the closest America has is Beckett & Rob.

Are Americans too fat and British too stuffy to have the requisite steez? (and what of Oceania and Canada?)
Rubbish, Australia has this...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)