or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2508

post #37606 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

Welcome! Outstanding first post. I agree with you on the sleeves and trousers.

The thing I'd try to work on is the amount of contrast between the jacket and trousers -- they are a medium greyish blue and a medium grey. The eye finds low contrast kind of unsettling; maybe try those trousers with a navy jacket or that jacket with a light neutral (tan/stone/etc).

Cheers and welcome again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post



Yes.  As CruzAzul suggests, other factors being equal odd jacket/trouser combinations benefit from a contrast in shade between the two, so the brain of the observer doesn't have to struggle to figure out whether it's looking at a suit or not.    Here's your (otherwise excellent) outfit converted to gray scale to make the point clear:




I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ac

Thanks guys, for the positive comments, and your suggestions.
I do think you guys are right about the amount of contrast. Will remember that, the next time I reach for that coat.
It's a fun thread, am sure I can pick up lots of stuff from the guys here.
Thanks for making me feel welcome.
post #37607 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Thunder, glad to know your shoes aren't the only impressive part of your wardrobe. Like the look, and love the tie. While I think there is a point (albeit not a very compelling one, in my estimation) about the degree of contrast, I think the b/w filter makes the shades seem farrrrrrr more alike than they really are. Obviously, that's the point, but it creates a skewed perspective. In my view, anyone who confused that for a suit in real life ought worry far more about their eyesight than your clothes. Very good first fit pic...which Vanda square is it?

Academic, what the heck is the fabric on the SC? That is some insanely awesome texture.

Hi Eric, thanks very much. Appreciate it.
The tie is "Red cream racing stripes", and the pocket square is "Burnt orange mosaic".
Both by @gshen and the team at Vanda.
Am very proud, to be able to support local artisans.
post #37608 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

A co-worker of mine hates navy blazers because they remind him of the hoity toity private school he went to as a kid.  Every time I wear one, he cringes.  I can't imagine him objecting on aesthetic grounds, but maybe he would still dislike it even if he wasn't traumatized as a child.  

Not liking patchwork madras because they remind you of white privilege is like not liking regimental ties because they remind you of war.  I imagine it is difficult if not impossible to judge an article of clothing for purely aesthetic reasons, but I much prefer disliking patchwork madras because the colors are too loud or the plaid is too busy.  White privilege has many faces (or maybe just one) robed in all kinds of garments.  Do you hate all those as well?    

My thoughts precisely.
post #37609 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomaticTies View Post

I'm European and therefore, de facto, a communist of course. But the whole throwing shade on Madras fabrics have only resulted in me realising that I desperately need a Madras jacket. So a question to the "muricans" in the forum: who does them best? Should one go with RL or are there better options? (I can tell you upfront that I will not have a bespoke Madras jacket made...).

Welcome to the dark side. For my money I'd go one of two routes. If you can find one, vintage pieces are very nice. Might not be available outside the U.S. though. Varsity Town is a nice old American brand and they made some good looking madras jackets. Barring that, Brooks Brothers still makes them, as does J. Press.
post #37610 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

My thoughts precisely.

So you only like high-contrast Madras because George H. Bush wore it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Tell it to the president.


That's the same straw man argument you're signing on to.
post #37611 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

Trust me, you love it.   :D   (Glad I cleared that up.)

 

Thanks! That helped a lot!

post #37612 of 43974
Today.

2cbbe4afb0506ac925f2a893cd088203.jpg
Details (Click to show)
* Suitsupply
* shirt from Miler Menswear
* tie from Embassy of Elegance
* pocketsquare by Poszetka
* Berwick shoes

b91584d065923081be2182d41a7f735d.jpg

9f33a79f74e629f7b6fbc091e202a68a.jpg

c86342db9f811e741be86e1b3210575b.jpg

5009a39609a0a02ae0627b7bcff3f5da.jpg

c798d9780630625a528f0b89b65ec6a0.jpg
post #37613 of 43974
Wait white privilege? When did this board become racist?
post #37614 of 43974

Portofino / Huddersfield

post #37615 of 43974
Winter, or some unreasonable semblance thereof, has returned to NYC this morning, with temperatures around 7C/45F. Happily, not all the flannel three-piece suits are in hibernation.

Suit - BBGF
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - BB
PS - Ashear
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - C & J
Hat - Selentino


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)










post #37616 of 43974

At the museum.

 

more (Click to show)

 

post #37617 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

IMG-20160515-WA0007_zpscqtoy1oo.jpg

Hi guys,
My first post on this thread.
Would welcome any critique and suggestions!
I know my shirt sleeves are short and trousers probably a bit too much break.

SC is Spence Bryson linen.
Tie and PS by Vanda.
Trousers are Harrison's Frontier.
Chelsea boots by Carmina.

Looks really great! could you let on who the tailor is? thanks!

post #37618 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

So you only like high-contrast Madras because George H. Bush wore it?
That's the same straw man argument you're signing on to.

I like it because I find it appealing. The reference to GB was tongue in cheek. I find this discussion increasingly unnecessary so this will be my final word on the issue.
post #37619 of 43974

Looking good @ThunderMarch.  Following your IG, I've always wondered what went with all those nice shoes :)

post #37620 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG-20160515-WA0007_zpscqtoy1oo.jpg

Hi guys,
My first post on this thread.
Would welcome any critique and suggestions!
I know my shirt sleeves are short and trousers probably a bit too much break.

SC is Spence Bryson linen.
Tie and PS by Vanda.
Trousers are Harrison's Frontier.
Chelsea boots by Carmina.

 

Really digging that look Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Welcome! Outstanding first post. I agree with you on the sleeves and trousers.

The thing I'd try to work on is the amount of contrast between the jacket and trousers -- they are a medium greyish blue and a medium grey. The eye finds low contrast kind of unsettling; maybe try those trousers with a navy jacket or that jacket with a light neutral (tan/stone/etc).

Cheers and welcome again.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Yes.  As CruzAzul suggests, other factors being equal odd jacket/trouser combinations benefit from a contrast in shade between the two, so the brain of the observer doesn't have to struggle to figure out whether it's looking at a suit or not.    Here's your (otherwise excellent) outfit converted to gray scale to make the point clear:

 

 

I hope this helps.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

 

Interesting point on the contrast... for my own edification, does the texture differences negate some of the lack of contrast in shade? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)