or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2476

post #37126 of 44031

I imagine that open-laced footwear can expand a little more forgivingly, if for instance one needs to wear very thick socks to prevent frostbite while milking the cows on a cold winter's morning.

post #37127 of 44031

Hmmm, I don't know about that.

post #37128 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Ok, but why is that so? The example you gave says simply that oxfords are formal because they were meant to be worn in the city. The natural next question is why were they meant to be worn in the city?  All things being equal, is there some real difference that makes a calf derby more practical to wear in the country than a calf oxford? To take it even further, why does one need to be more formal in a city? Have there never been formal events in the country? 

 

This is not to say that some things aren't really based on something more than social convention. Riding boots really are practical for riding, for instance. However even in this case socially acceptable behavior trumps all. Brummell spent much more time wearing riding boots than he did on a horse, as do most of the women who wear them in the city today.

Well, derbies are, from their construction, more robust, or at least, supposed to and have a more massive look. And from a 1920's to 1950's point of vue, city = business when country = leisure.

Riding boots is quite the same: sports -> leisure -> casual.

 

We can say the same about colours and patterns.

 

Most men wear blue or grey suits when it comes to formal attire. 

But when it comes to sportcoats and thus casual attire, country colors like brown or green can easily be worn.

 

So yes, social norms are at the base of the logic. But lots of these norms don't have any sens today. Should the norfolk jacket never be worn again because less people hunt? (and when they do, don't wear norfolks anymore...).

post #37129 of 44031

I always thought the oxford/derby thing is due to the fact, that oxfords look more sleek and have "cleaner" line which makes them better looking choice for formal occasions ("city"). Derbies on the other hand are easier to put on/off due to their open-laced nature and therefore are more suitable for moments, where comfort beats formality ("country").

post #37130 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRamius View Post
 

Well, derbies are, from their construction, more robust, or at least, supposed to. And from a 1920's to 1950's point of vue, city = business when country = leisure.

Riding boots is quite the same: sports -> leisure -> casual.

 

We can say the same about colours and patterns.

 

Most men wear blue or grey suits when it comes to formal attire. 

But when it comes to sportcoats and thus casual attire, country colors like brown or green can easily be worn.

 

So yes, social norms are at the base of the logic. But lots of these norms don't have any sens today. Should the norfolk jacket never be worn again because less people hunt? (and when they do, don't wear norfolks anymore...).

 

I'm not so sure about derbies being more robust. As for the rest I think we are moving off into the weeds with this. Whatever the case, I think it is clear that we agree to a large extent. But to your comment about Norfolk jackets, of course they should be worn when not hunting because it's socially acceptable to do so. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blekit View Post
 

I always thought the oxford/derby thing is due to the fact, that oxfords look more sleek and have "cleaner" line which makes them better looking choice for formal occasions ("city"). Derbies on the other hand are easier to put on/off due to their open-laced nature and therefore are more suitable for moments, where comfort beats formality ("country").

 

The bolded statement adds to my assertion, I think. It's a perception, an accepted norm, rather than any real practical difference. As for the latter statement I do not find derbies to be any more or less comfortable than oxfords in any real way. Some people make shoes that are more comfortable to me, but it has nothing to do with whether they have open lacing or not.

post #37131 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

The bolded statement adds to my assertion, I think. It's a perception, an accepted norm, rather than any real practical difference. As for the latter statement I do not find derbies to be any more or less comfortable than oxfords in any real way. Some people make shoes that are more comfortable to me, but it has nothing to do with whether they have open lacing or not.

 

I agree that it's mostly about perception and tradition than practical differences. The statement about comfort was strictly about the moment of putting the shoes on or off - for me it's quicker and easier to do this with shoes with open lacing (I don't need to undo as much laces as in opposite case).

post #37132 of 44031

I would have thought Norfolk jackets could still be acceptable attire in America, where it seems a lot of people still go hunting. In cinemas, primary schools etc.

post #37133 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

I would have thought Norfolk jackets could still be acceptable attire in America, where it seems a lot of people still go hunting. In cinemas, primary schools etc.

Are you making fun of basic free men's right to shoot entire neighborhood?
post #37134 of 44031



My get the baguette outfit this morning.
post #37135 of 44031

^^^ Is that an interpretation of the stroller?

post #37136 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

I would have thought Norfolk jackets could still be acceptable attire in America, where it seems a lot of people still go hunting. In cinemas, primary schools etc.

Yes, but, as you know, sartorial standards have slipped precipitously in the United States, including among mass murderers. At best, they seem to wear rather ratty military surplus - all the better to hide assault weapons sold to the public for "self-defense".
post #37137 of 44031
[quote name="Luger" url="/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/37125#post_8427917
My get the baguette outfit this morning.[/quote]

You must buy your baguettes at Fauchon . . . .
post #37138 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

^^^ Is that an interpretation of the stroller?
A blue stroller yes.
post #37139 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luger View Post


A blue stroller yes.


Hmmm, interesting. Unusual, but interesting.

post #37140 of 44031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Ok, but why is that so? The example you gave says simply that oxfords are formal because they were meant to be worn in the city. The natural next question is why were they meant to be worn in the city?  All things being equal, is there some real difference that makes a calf derby more practical to wear in the country than a calf oxford? To take it even further, why does one need to be more formal in a city? Have there never been formal events in the country? 

 

This is not to say that some things aren't really based on something more than social convention. Riding boots really are practical for riding, for instance. However even in this case socially acceptable behavior trumps all. Brummell spent much more time wearing riding boots than he did on a horse, as do most of the women who wear them in the city today.

 

I'm quite sure there is/was a perfectly good reason, but it god lost. Similar to broguing that was meant for ventilation, therefore more of a "sweating shoe".

 

BTW, my understanding why Brummell did what he did (maybe I mixed him up with someone) is because he was broke. So he invented bunch of new styles that make "broke looking" kind of cool. Anyone find this similar to some phenomena of our time?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)