or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2463

post #36931 of 43842

 

SuitSupply jacket, shirt, pants, and pocket square.

Septième Largeur monks

Tom Ford Tie

post #36932 of 43842

Nice, Alex.

post #36933 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 


I disagree. I think the tie is key to the outfit. It's a spring color and livens up the outfit for a spring day. Changing to a navy or (ugh) brown tie would demolish that vibe completely. I do agree with the comments about the waistcoat. Without it, we'd see more of the tie, which I think would let the tie add even more springtime cheer to the fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

I don't mind the waistcoat here if you lost the tie and had a different square.  Even without the waistcoat, I think the tie doesn't go with the outfit.  A brown or navy tie would do better here with the olive pants and tan jacket.  

 

 

I'd rather side with @Andy57 on this one - today was the first time the bar was over 20 degrees and I felt like channeling the spring vibe in my outfit and the tie was key to this idea. And I think that barring the unfortunate waistcoat, it goes well with the rest of the otufit colour and pattern-wise.

 

However, the brown (and perhaps green one as well) tie would be also great choice to achieve the 'all earthy tones' look which is on my mind for quite some time. Well maybe sometime soon it will become reality :)

 

And since the waistcoat doesn't seem to be approved in this fit, may I ask if anyone has beter idea of utilizing it in other way than in rather casual outfits (standalone or with very informal jacket, chinos, no tie, plain shirt)?

post #36934 of 43842

@blekit, if you ask me (and you haven't) the jacket and trousers are wonderful together. Nothing else on that fit belongs there, however. Also, I am duty bound to mention that your jacket is too short. Then again, most of your jackets are.

post #36935 of 43842

It actually dropped to around 50 or so last week.. which is weird for me because right around then its already in the 90's.. not complaining.. was able to rock flannel probably for the last time or so until the end of the year.. Suit is flannel, tie is lambs wool and the P.S is wool/silk..mos def a F/W fit in the spring time..

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Edited by chocsosa - 5/6/16 at 8:06pm
post #36936 of 43842
@chocsosa that is a very nice fit. Your tailor and personal trainer compliment each other. As we all know, it takes a village... lol
Edited by pravda - 5/1/16 at 2:00pm
post #36937 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post

It actually dropped to around 50 or so last week.. which is weird for me because right around then its already in the 90's.. not complaining.. was able to rock flannel probably for the last time or so until the end of the year.. Suit is flannel, tie is lambs wool and the P.S is wool/silk..mos def a F/W fit in the spring time..






You look like a different person when you smile, like, literally. I believe you've indicated you're not much of a smiler, at least not for pics, but it makes a big difference to the upside IMO.
post #36938 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravda View Post

@chocolate that is a very nice fit. Your tailor and personal trainer compliment each other. As we all know, it takes a village... lol


My tailor has changed over the past year so its been a pain..all the good tailors out here are Korean or Vietnamese and dont speak English that well.. so I am working to build that working relationship where my new tailor knows what I want. It took me 5 years with my last tailor.. as for the personal trainer, its all basketball.. still play pretty competitively so that gets my cardio in and also really watching what I eat.. thanks for the kind words Pravda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post


You look like a different person when you smile, like, literally. I believe you've indicated you're not much of a smiler, at least not for pics, but it makes a big difference to the upside IMO.


Man, its so hard to smile when you take pictures on your own, atleast for me.. thats the hard part.. and Im not even really a smiling person anyways..thanks for the words AJL!

post #36939 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by blekit View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Today.

081e81c1cabcd6c84136b8fd2a6136b4.jpgDetails (Click to show)

* jacket and waistcoat from Suitsupply
* OCBD shirt by Miler Menswear
* tie and ps by Poszetka
* pants from Benevento

ed0aca01c3d11ab1d2554697b98ade18.jpg

c5d81affa3beb16d1a0656e5c2db5605.jpg

ad6fdfa89e051b313104bec32ed3b2b3.jpg

I am not 100% sold on the waistcoat in this fit. I think it is still better than the previous one with it, but still we're not there yet.

I am slowly leaning towards treating it as strictly casual piece and wearing it without tie, standalone or with informal spring/summer jackets.

 

1. the jacket color and trouser color go together. However, you are wearing a jacket, waistcoat & tie with what are basically chinos. You should have opted for proper dress trousers. So this portion of the combo fails.

 

2. The waist coat is an item that should be burned and it is really out of place in this outfit. It really isn't going to work with anything. And...waistcoats should never be worn as standalone items sans jacket or without a tie/bowtie...so that won't ever work either.

 

3. The color of the tie doesn't go with the rest of the outfit. You have a beige herringbone sport coat and olive chinos...a bright pink tie doesn't fit in the color palette. A burnt orange would have worked well. 

post #36940 of 43842

@blekit kudos for continuing to post here--it's the fastest way to improve if you can weather the critiques.

 

Out of curiosity, how did you put this fit together?  Which item(s) did you start with?  I ask because I see two different fits here: the tie and waistcoat, which when paired together could really only work with a navy jacket and white trousers (ideally both in linen), and the jacket and chinos, which are okay together but invoke a very different color palette as well as a different affect than the other elements.  The shirt conceivably goes with either. 

 

The central issue is that you have three difficult elements here: the waistcoat, the tie, and (to a lesser degree) the light jacket.  Each will likely be the only non-versatile element in a good ensemble, unless you are UrbanComposition. 

post #36941 of 43842
Choc, maybe try cutting/blurring your head for the smiling issue? I'm not a big picture taker in any case, but smiling on selfies is a definite no go...feels way too force.

Also, what are the deets on the lapel chain (assuming it is chain)?
post #36942 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

1. the jacket color and trouser color go together. However, you are wearing a jacket, waistcoat & tie with what are basically chinos. You should have opted for proper dress trousers. So this portion of the combo fails.

2. The waist coat is an item that should be burned and it is really out of place in this outfit. It really isn't going to work with anything. And...waistcoats should never be worn as standalone items sans jacket or without a tie/bowtie...so that won't ever work either.

3. The color of the tie doesn't go with the rest of the outfit. You have a beige herringbone sport coat and olive chinos...a bright pink tie doesn't fit in the color palette. A burnt orange would have worked well. 

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about tieless 3 piece suits?

Agreed that a vest should not be standalone ever, but I think a tieless 3 piece makes for a pretty smart and semi casual look.
post #36943 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Choc, maybe try cutting/blurring your head for the smiling issue? I'm not a big picture taker in any case, but smiling on selfies is a definite no go...feels way too force.

Also, what are the deets on the lapel chain (assuming it is chain)?


I'm considering doing this..Im not the only person that does not smile in pictures on here.. and Im not the only stern look picture taker.. I have addressed the issue many times.. but again over and over it kind of comes up..not directed at AJL because he was making a reference to the picture I took where I actually smiled.. but its not a big deal that affects the fit or aesthetic of my clothing.. so why it gets brought up over and over again is beyond me.. Its not a lapel chain.. more of a lapel pin from Nordstroms..

post #36944 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post


I'm considering doing this..Im not the only person that does not smile in pictures on here.. and Im not the only stern look picture taker.. I have addressed the issue many times.. but again over and over it kind of comes up..not directed at AJL because he was making a reference to the picture I took where I actually smiled.. but its not a big deal that affects the fit or aesthetic of my clothing.. so why it gets brought up over and over again is beyond me.. Its not a lapel chain.. more of a lapel pin from Nordstroms..

Fwiw, I don't think it's anything more than something that is noticed, in that it is neither good nor bad, just that it is...though I could imagine how it may get rather tedious from your (rather stern lol) perspective.
post #36945 of 43842

I imagine I'm famous for not having a head.  My camera is smile activated so I have to smile to take pics.  Outdoors, my wife takes my pics and I have a hard time not smiling at her.  Not in Choc's case because you always look great, but I do think that a smile or lack thereof does affect how what one is wearing is perceived.  For an extremely good or bad look, a smile won't matter.  For a middle of the road look, it makes a difference sometimes consciously or subconsciously for me.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)