or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2454

post #36796 of 45094
The suit is navy and tie is brown ancient madder. Dealing with lighting problems today as I work to upgrade the quality of my pics.

image_zpsyvxvrwbb.jpeg
image_zpsgjynzipz.jpeg
post #36797 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post

 
@blekit
 this is harsh but, I think, good advice.  The suit looks like it fits you well, and the shirt and the wholecuts are nice in combination with it.  A bold windowpane suit like that almost always needs to be the loudest element in an ensemble, and a solid grenadine or subdued neat tie would complement the rest of your items perfectly.  
I wasn't trying to be mean at all. Let the suit shine and keep the shirt and the tie conservative. I like the suit and the fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Agree on the burning (sorry, Blekit); light grey grenadine certainly would work, but would also result in a decidedly festive look. I don't know if that's what he is going for here.


In fact you could swap the tie for almost any not-too-informal tie. Stripes in general might be too informal, but almost any neat print would work wonderfully, navy suit and white shirt is quite the blank canvas.
I wanted to suggest something like this...
post #36798 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomaticTies View Post
 

 

We should have a Friday Challenge with mandatory cookies!


Yes, that's a good idea.  There were lots of cookies left after I got mine although one might hope that there wouldn't be any bizarre comments about how the color of one's cookie clashes with the color of one's pocket square, particularly since colors don't always look the same in pictures posted online as they do in person.

post #36799 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post


Agree on the burning (sorry, Blekit); light grey grenadine certainly would work, but would also result in a decidedly festive look. I don't know if that's what he is going for here.

In fact you could swap the tie for almost any not-too-informal tie. Stripes in general might be too informal, but almost any neat print would work wonderfully, navy suit and white shirt is quite the blank canvas.

 

By festive look you mean "wedding season" or some special occasion or smth like that? If so, I'd say grey PoW tie is decidedly festive but grey grenadine is still on the border - depending on the rest of the outfit. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 

@blekit this is harsh but, I think, good advice.  The suit looks like it fits you well, and the shirt and the wholecuts are nice in combination with it.  A bold windowpane suit like that almost always needs to be the loudest element in an ensemble, and a solid grenadine or subdued neat tie would complement the rest of your items perfectly.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Burn the tie and just swap in a light grey grenadine tie. 

 

I hear you guys and I must agree that this combination didn't work out well. I originally had two different choices in mind (light grey shantung in small white polka dot pattern and chocolate grenadine) but I have worn both of them recently and decided to go with this one, which hasn't been in use for quite some time. Well, I guess it was for a reason and I obviously made a wrong decision. Live and learn :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post


I wasn't trying to be mean at all. Let the suit shine and keep the shirt and the tie conservative. I like the suit and the fit.
I wanted to suggest something like this... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Nice one @The Noodles, I'm not fan of light grey ties but in this outfit it works really well. 

post #36800 of 45094

@Cleav Awesome city fit!

post #36801 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anden View Post
 

Red face and orange tie. 

 

 

Beautiful - so is the Jetson. 

post #36802 of 45094

Still cold. Stil April.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #36803 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anden View Post

I must say that it's by far the best review I have ever got for an outfit. Some outfits has resulted in 50 or so thumbs but this is a great compliment with a lot of thought behind it. Thank you!

You're most welcome. I design stuff for a living, and even after a couple of decades there are still times when I look at something I'm working on and and think, "I know it works, but WHY does it work?" Designers, like well dressed people, eventually internalize the theory and it turns into instinct that we put in play without consciously thinking about it. It's kind of cool when theory intersects the real world in a way that you can analyze and say, "oh, THAT"S why". And we all learn from it.
post #36804 of 45094
post #36805 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

@Cleav
 Awesome city fit!

Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say so.

Off to Carlisle tomorrow, very excited, and very different rig. No need for the city look methinks biggrin.gif
post #36806 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post


Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say so.

Off to Carlisle tomorrow, very excited, and very different rig. No need for the city look methinks biggrin.gif


You're welcome. Say hi to Edwin for me!

post #36807 of 45094

For the Friday challenge. I decided to fetch out this vintage linen double-breasted jacket. I wear it very rarely these days and it does have a distinctly '80s look, I think, especially in the lapels. Anyway, here it is.

 

 

 

 

Three more pictures (Click to show)

 

 


Jacket: Macy's (purchased around 1985)

Shirt: Proper Cloth

Scarf: E. Marinella

Square: Drake's

Trousers: Baroni

Shoes: Edward Green

post #36808 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

For the Friday challenge. I decided to fetch out this vintage linen double-breasted jacket. I wear it very rarely these days and it does have a distinctly '80s look, I think, especially in the lapels. Anyway, here it is.

The 80's feel comes more from the 4 x 1 button configuration and relatively low button placement than from the lapels, per se, but the look suits you, in a very retro sort of way.
post #36809 of 45094
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


The 80's feel comes more from the 4 x 1 button configuration and relatively low button placement than from the lapels, per se, but the look suits you, in a very retro sort of way.

+ some kind of drape cut with broad shoulder's and excess of fabric on the chest, so probably second half of the 80's.

But all of these are OK. It's not like the late 80's notch lapel... Yuk!

post #36810 of 45094

I read somewhere that STB's were the new dub monks. Trying to get ahead of the curve. ;)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)