or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2427

post #36391 of 43974
@Andy57, since you mentioned Thom Browne, I would like to address that, because I think it brings up a valuable point. And for the sake of peace, please understand that when I use words such as "fact", or "objective," that I what I mean by that is, in my opinion, such is fact or such is objective.

TB suits, or at least the ones we are talking about, are objectively too short in the sleeves, jacket length, and pant hem. How could this be if so many people like that look?

We all gather here to talk about clothing, and give people advice on what they're doing wrong or could be doing better. Ostensibly, for this to work, there has to be some sort of accepted norm or rules. Otherwise, no one ever has a right to say that something is incorrect, because everything is correct and anybody who thinks otherwise is merely stating a fanciful opinion.

So, yes, many people may like that TB look, or the look of a long jacket, but at some point, within a collective group that is striving to achieve success in looking properly dressed based on a collective understanding of what properly dressed looks like, it seems to me that certain things must be considered objectively right or wrong at some point.

This all may be my opinion, but within my opinion, I strongly believe as fact that certain things are objectively right, certain things fall within an acceptable variance, and certain things are definitely, objectively, wrong.
post #36392 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

no one ever has a right to say that something is incorrect, because everything is correct and anybody who thinks otherwise is merely stating a fanciful opinion.

 

Wait, are you talking about SW&D? (Love those guys, btw.)

post #36393 of 43974
Actually, with as much variety and open-mindedness that can be found on the other side of the wall, I think that they are actually even more vehement when collectively people believe something looks wrong.
post #36394 of 43974
Good evening gentlemen, temps are warming up here in Michigan, so I expect you shall me and CP wearing more Spring/Summer fits in the coming weeks.
Jacket is Corneliani, purchased it last summer but never got a chance to wear it




Fuller length
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #36395 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

@Andy57, since you mentioned Thom Browne, I would like to address that, because I think it brings up a valuable point. And for the sake of peace, please understand that when I use words such as "fact", or "objective," that I what I mean by that is, in my opinion, such is fact or such is objective.

 

I think that is a conversation best had while consuming an alcoholic beverage of some kind. As we can't practically do that, I withdraw from this conversation as neither side is going to convince the other. For myself, I tend to react negatively when matters of taste are represented as rules. I agree with just about everything you say except where you claim a regular quality that I do not believe can be supported.

 

However, it is a little known fact that there is an eleventh commandment, not just a mere rule, that states, more or less, thou shalt not cuff thy pants. Moses, who apparently was partial to cuffed pants, suppressed this last commandment, to the detriment of almost well dressed gentlemen everywhere.

 

:) 

post #36396 of 43974


Zegna X 2
Talbott
Godard
post #36397 of 43974
Lol, I cuff all my pants.

We really need to have that drink. cheers.gif
post #36398 of 43974

un-cuffed trousers make me ill

post #36399 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

However, it is a little known fact that there is an eleventh commandment, not just a mere rule, that states, more or less, thou shalt not cuff thy pants. Moses, who apparently was partial to cuffed pants, suppressed this last commandment, to the detriment of almost well dressed gentlemen everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

un-cuffed trousers make me ill


post #36400 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Lol, I cuff all my pants.


I knew that.

 

:cheers:

 

National StyFo meetup?

post #36401 of 43974

Back to something more formal :

 

 

post #36402 of 43974

Off to church, and then lunch with colleague.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #36403 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

Thursday.  A student thought my pocket square didn't go well with my tie.  Thoughts?  I wore socks to work, but they kept falling down so I took them off.  The socks were black watch stripe like the tie.   Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I think your student was right. Pink and red never look right together.

@in stitches and @andy57: content aside, I love the way this discussion goes. I'm only half joking when I say that arguments like this give me a little faith in humankind.
post #36404 of 43974

I think it also has to do with the clashing stripes of the seersucker square and the tie. 

post #36405 of 43974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post


I think your student was right. Pink and red never look right together.

@in stitches and @andy57: content aside, I love the way this discussion goes. I'm only half joking when I say that arguments like this give me a little faith in humankind.

 

The square is red and white seersucker.  I thought it picked up the red of the tie and the white of the shirt well.  It does look a little pink in the photo.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

I think it also has to do with the clashing stripes of the seersucker square and the tie. 

 

Clashing in what regard?  They are of vastly different scales.  I've seen several bengal stripe shirt and a wide stripe tie combos around here.  I thought this was in the same camp.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)