or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2383

post #35731 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

Don't be an idiot.

I'm not. Just taking you at your word.
post #35732 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Im sorry you are taking this way to literally. I dont actively search for different lengths on my jackets. I guess ill agree with @Andy57 and say dont be an idiot.

Perhaps I'm taking you too literally, but how else was I supposed to interpret...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

...I always feel its good to have some sort of variety within the wardrobe. Its nice to have some more modern/shorter jackets and then some more traditional lengths.

Did I misconstrue anything you said? confused.gif
post #35733 of 44038

Actually I'm siding with @llamaone on this. His cited rules are well-known and accepted, and his arguments are sound.

 

I would also prefer to see @jcmeyer's jacket about 3cm shorter. But I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

post #35734 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Do you have a wardrobe that consists of entirely one manufacturer? Im guessing no. Therefore you accept that different nuances from each manufacturer. Im not saying that there should be a vast difference but there can be a difference in length and it should be embraced instead of trying to get your entire wardrobe to be the exact same BOC length
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaone View Post

Perhaps I'm taking you too literally, but how else was I supposed to interpret...
Did I misconstrue anything you said? confused.gif

Hopefully this answers your question
post #35735 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaone View Post

^ Interesting that these "jacket is the right length" folks are eschewing the common barometers of proper length, namely these three:

1) The "bisecting" rule. The jacket should approximately split the body in half. Yours does not. Your upper half (as delineated by your coat hem) is quite obviously greater than your lower half.

2) The "thumb" rule. This is only a rule of thumb (no pun intended), of course. But it works 95% of the time, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for you. The rule states that the jacket should align with the first knuckle of the thumb (going upward from the nail). By this rule, your jacket should be about 1.5" shorter. This is rather significant, especially for someone of short stature.

3) The overall look. Just looking at you, your jacket length makes your legs look short. Refer to 1) above. So again, I say your jacket is too long, and I'd like to see the above posters support their conclusions with reasoning.

Only because I like to argue:

1) the bisecting rule will naturally, if rigidly adhered to, create oddities in a look on someone who has a seriously wonky shape, as JC admits to having. In this case, i think he'd (lord knows I would) be happier being wrong than adhering to this rule.
2) thumb rule is another terrible one in this case, I'd argue. If applied to myself, I'd probably have at least 25% of my ass popping out from under my jacket when standing at ease, and probably 50ish% when in movement. Complete non-starter in my case, and I think JC would have a similar result if he took the 1.5" approach.
3) the look test in my view is your best argument, which is a rather backhanded compliment.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's going out on a limb to say the first two points, while lovely in theory, don't jive at all when put to practice, at least in this case.

Here is my rationale for keeping status quo:

I do like the way it looks. So, my only argument is the opposite of the best argument, yet neither is anything beyond subjective.

It's certainly fine to disagree, but let's not pretend like one side of this debate has a legitimate leg to stand on beyond opinion.
post #35736 of 44038

#49.

 

 

 

 

 

Brixton - Pal Zileri Sartoriale - Maker's Shirt - Robert Fraser - Pal Zileri - Bresciani - C&J

 

I never normally include a robopose; this time, just for kicks, I have.

post #35737 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post


Only because I like to argue:

1) the bisecting rule will naturally, if rigidly adhered to, create oddities in a look on someone who has a seriously wonky shape, as JC admits to having. In this case, i think he'd (lord knows I would) be happier being wrong than adhering to this rule.
2) thumb rule is another terrible one in this case, I'd argue. If applied to myself, I'd probably have at least 25% of my ass popping out from under my jacket when standing at ease, and probably 50ish% when in movement. Complete non-starter in my case, and I think JC would have a similar result if he took the 1.5" approach.
3) the look test in my view is your best argument, which is a rather backhanded compliment.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's going out on a limb to say the first two points, while lovely in theory, don't jive at all when put to practice, at least in this case.

Here is my rationale for keeping status quo:

I do like the way it looks. So, my only argument is the opposite of the best argument, yet neither is anything beyond subjective.

It's certainly fine to disagree, but let's not pretend like one side of this debate has a legitimate leg to stand on beyond opinion.


Agree with pretty much all of this.

post #35738 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Only because I like to argue:

1) the bisecting rule will naturally, if rigidly adhered to, create oddities in a look on someone who has a seriously wonky shape, as JC admits to having. In this case, i think he'd (lord knows I would) be happier being wrong than adhering to this rule.
2) thumb rule is another terrible one in this case, I'd argue. If applied to myself, I'd probably have at least 25% of my ass popping out from under my jacket when standing at ease, and probably 50ish% when in movement. Complete non-starter in my case, and I think JC would have a similar result if he took the 1.5" approach.
3) the look test in my view is your best argument, which is a rather backhanded compliment.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's going out on a limb to say the first two points, while lovely in theory, don't jive at all when put to practice, at least in this case.

Here is my rationale for keeping status quo:

I do like the way it looks. So, my only argument is the opposite of the best argument, yet neither is anything beyond subjective.

It's certainly fine to disagree, but let's not pretend like one side of this debate has a legitimate leg to stand on beyond opinion.

1) Why do you say JC's shape is "seriously wonky"? He's just short. But I don't think his proportions are significantly outside of the norm. Therefore, the bisecting rule should work just fine for him. In fact, the bisecting rule exists specifically to avoid the pitfalls of other "rules" for jacket length which can be thrown off by wonky proportions. For instance, abnormally long or short arms will obviously mean the thumb rule won't work. But it's never wrong for a jacket to cut the body in half. This is what's ideal 99.99% of the time. The thumb rule is just a quick and dirty method of approximating this for most people.

2) Again, JC's proportions (i.e. relative length of arms, legs, torso, etc.) seem fairly normal. No reason the thumb rule wouldn't work for him. I'll have to take you at your word that it won't work for you, but as I've acknowledged, it's not infallible.

3) I suppose that the "overall look" is somewhat subjective, and pics can be misleading. But these pics appear to be from a far enough distance and taken from an appropriate height that they should provide a fairly accurate representation of reality. To be clear, I'm not saying JC's jacket is egregiously long and that it shouldn't be worn. But since he explicitly asked for feedback on the length, I stand by my thoughts that ideally, it could be shorter by as much as 1.5"--or perhaps more like only .75" to play it safe. But if he's happy with it as is, he should wear it without hesitation. It looks like a lovely and excellent fitting suit in all other regards. But there's a reason he asked about the length... he must have a sneaking suspicion himself that it's a tad too long...
Edited by llamaone - 4/6/16 at 9:47pm
post #35739 of 44038

FWIW @jcmeyer, I stand by what I said in GNAT and I wouldn't shorten it.  Have fun in Japan, bud.  I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures and really hope you get to stop by Ethan's place (Brycelands).

post #35740 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

#49.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Is this the 49th fit you've posted?

 

I'm not personally enamored of newsboy caps. It spoils the overall fit. And I say this as a confirmed hat-wearer.

post #35741 of 44038
post #35742 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

I'm not personally enamored of newsboy caps. It spoils the overall fit. And I say this as a confirmed hat-wearer.

 

I like them, but think they look best when worn with some sort of outerwear.  I don't know why, but I think they look out of place without it.

 

That's what the cool kids call "Amazeballs" @Mr. Six 

post #35743 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

Have fun in Japan, bud.  I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures and really hope you get to stop by Ethan's place (Brycelands).

 

Is that Ethan Newton of whom you speak? Is he in Japan now? I was told he worked for The Armoury in HK at one point. My buddies at The Sydney Tarts (watch collectors' group) claim he used to turn up there too.

 

Personally, I've never met the guy, but I believe his sartorial style is widely admired.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

 

Is this the 49th fit you've posted?

 

No, I've posted hundreds since joining. But about a year ago I started numbering them, to make it easier for me to find them myself.

post #35744 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

 

Is that Ethan Newton of whom you speak? Is he in Japan now? I was told he worked for The Armoury in HK at one point. My buddies at The Sydney Tarts (watch collectors' group) claim he used to turn up there too.

 

Personally, I've never met the guy, but I believe his sartorial style is widely admired.

 

 

 

Yes, Ethan Newton.  He used to be at The Armory, went to Ralph Lauren, and now just opened his own shop (Brycelands) in Japan.  I've never met the guy either, but would definitely stop by the shop if I was ever in Japan...just check out their IG feed.  I'm definitely one of the guys who really admires what he does.

post #35745 of 44038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

No, I've posted hundreds since joining. But about a year ago I started numbering them, to make it easier for me to find them myself.

 

Got it. I thought it didn't seem like a big enough number.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)