or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2377

post #35641 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz View Post


He's real? Isn't the suit a bit flashy wink.gif

 

I was wearing this and feeling positively psychedelic next to him:

 

post #35642 of 44046

@spectre @Gerry Nelson what, apart from the direct sunlight, gives these suits their sheen? Is there mohair in the cloth?

 

One thing which struck me during a visit to Seoul a few years ago was the number of journeymen wearing highly reflective suits. Seemed to be a strong local fashion.

 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan, and it would give me pause when considering blends with mohair in them. Although I guess it depends on many factors.

post #35643 of 44046
Good evening gents, great looks the last few days!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #35644 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Andy, for what it's worth, the tie looks damn good.

In regards to storage, I hang mine. I think I'd be afraid of rolling unless done so veryyyyy lightly rolled.


Thank, Eric. I'm now inclined to agree with you. I think these ties need to go on the tie rack and not be rolled.

post #35645 of 44046
Nice departure @sycsyc. I like the dots.
post #35646 of 44046
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post


Thank, Eric. I'm now inclined to agree with you. I think these ties need to go on the tie rack and not be rolled.

To be honest, I think hanging is more space efficient as well. No tie rack for me, but I have my ties hanging on no slip shirt hangers in the closet, taking up a very minute amount of space.

The drawers required to roll the same amount of ties (nearing 200 lol) pains me to think about!

Note: after typing that, I may need to engage on a tie purge.
post #35647 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

t
To be honest, I think hanging is more space efficient as well. No tie rack for me, but I have my ties hanging on no slip shirt hangers in the closet, taking up a very minute amount of space.

The drawers required to roll the same amount of ties (nearing 200 lol) pains me to think about!

Note: after typing that, I may need to engage on a tie purge.
Same here. Many hangers grouped by color and season.
post #35648 of 44046

I have a tie hanger for that reason.  It has 21 pegs on each side.  Forces a certain discipline/restraint onto my accumulation.

post #35649 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Andy, for what it's worth, the tie looks damn good.

In regards to storage, I hang mine. I think I'd be afraid of rolling unless done so veryyyyy lightly rolled.


Thank, Eric. I'm now inclined to agree with you. I think these ties need to go on the tie rack and not be rolled.

 

Sorry, I’m not convinced.

 

The stress placed on a tie by gently rolling it is nothing compared to the stress produced by tying a knot, after all.

 

Here’s what David Hober says about the matter in the information sheet he provides with each tie:

 

“Our lined ties use pure wool interlinings which help the tie resist wrinkles and drape beautifully.  You can store your ties by hanging them up or rolling them.  When rolling your tie take care not to damage the tie’s tip and when hanging a tie rotate the position of the tie to avoid creases.”

 

That’s it.

 

In the current case I think there were quality issues with the silk in that run.  Mine arrived with a couple of very small but still visible holes (about the size of a large pin-prick, but that's large enough for the interlining to show), and after a couple of wearings the print is already fading a bit in the knot area.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #35650 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citan1145 View Post

Good evening gents, great looks the last few days! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Nice color matching. It is amazing how well purple goes with most everything.
post #35651 of 44046
My preferred method of tie storage is flat in a drawer. Ties are gently folded in half twice, as they are often shipped. No worries whatsoever about stress or stretching to the tie. And it's very easy and convenient provided you have the space. Also, being enclosed in a drawer vs. hanging in a closet protects them from dust.
post #35652 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 

I have a tie hanger for that reason.  It has 21 pegs on each side.  Forces a certain discipline/restraint onto my accumulation.

 

I probably have the same one...which is why I have 42 ties.  If I buy a new one, I get rid of the one that gets the least wear.

post #35653 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

 

 

In the current case I think there were quality issues with the silk in that run.  Mine arrived with a couple of very small but still visible holes (about the size of a large pin-prick, but that's large enough for the interlining to show), and after a couple of wearings the print is already fading a bit in the knot area.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

All of mine have a couple of small pindot-sized holes, as does my Kiton tie made with the same print and texture.  I think it's a very delicate silk or perhaps a byproduct of the dying process.  I like the colors enough that I still enjoy wearing the ties, but I wear them far less often and with much more care than I otherwise would.  

post #35654 of 44046

My experience is that rolling leaves me with a tie that hangs a little lumpy.  The imperfectly flat surface of the tie due to keeper, lining, folding and cut, and the act of rolling itself, even done with the utmost care, creates an uneven tie face when unrolled.  If there's a downside to hanging it would be elongation.  Those grenadines  stretch like gum.

post #35655 of 44046
I thought the comment about the incongruity had more to do with the material being shell, a hard wearing material, than with the footwear just being boots. I don't think the same question would arise from suede or even calf boots being paired with linen. I could be wrong though.
@Coxsackie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)