or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2273

post #34081 of 43869
Maybe my color sense is misguided, but navy trou seem like a great match with a camel SC. I would go with navy, burgundy, green, or brown before gray with camel.
post #34082 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Maybe my color sense is misguided, but navy trou seem like a great match with a camel SC. I would go with navy, burgundy, green, or brown before gray with camel.

+1. Camel hair SC + textured navy pents are a great look.

post #34083 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Right. In the context of an opera, would you rather be sitting next to the student wearing jeans and a t-shirt who is totally engrossed in the performance, or the well dressed couple whispering to each other, unwrapping candies, rustling programs, etc.?

 


If anyone's ever seen Wagner performed, they'll know that both the unwashed nerd in the Siegfried T-shirt and the bored, well-dressed couple looking furtively at their phones are both equally present and equally obnoxious.

 

And it’s not just Wagner.  The operas I’ve most frequently attended have been in NYC, and I can testify that there is no reliable correlation between formality of dress and understanding of concert etiquette.

 

Nor is it just opera, of course.  The worse cases I’ve seen have, as you might expect, been at university concerts.  I haven’t been to one of my university orchestra’s concerts for a few years now (there are limits to how far I will go in the pursuit of good academic citizenship …), but the last time I attended there were a bunch of undergraduates in the back who were attending as part of the music appreciation course; I don’t know the details but apparently those enrolled in the course are required to attend a certain number of concerts.  This group spent the first half talking and laughing and, believe it or not, eating potato chips.

 

I had a brief conversation with them during intermission …

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


Edited by Academic2 - 3/4/16 at 5:43pm
post #34084 of 43869
Try to go past the pocket flap atrocity (took my phone out and ...). Also, this is at the end of the day, aka wrinkles.
BB, Lands end, Chipp, JCrew, BB, AE.
post #34085 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

I still think 'busman' when I see Alan's fit, but this look (light colored and usually grey plaid jacket + navy underneath) is a classic exception because there's no plausible grey trew option,.  

 

As I understand it, the 'no-navy trews' convention is class-based,  part of the 'blue collar/white collar' distinction.  Maybe it's hard for (ahem) classless New Worlders/Republicans to get to grips with a tradition that comes out of a  class-conscious culture like the Brits'.  

post #34086 of 43869

Navy cords for the all solid challenge.  Doubly timely.  Pocket square is blue oxford.  I wasn't sure what other color square to go with.  Any recs? 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #34087 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post


I still think 'busman' when I see Alan's fit, but this look (light colored and usually grey plaid jacket + navy underneath) is a classic exception because there's no plausible grey trew option,.  

As I understand it, the 'no-navy trews' convention is class-based,  part of the 'blue collar/white collar' distinction.  Maybe it's hard for (ahem) classless New Worlders/Republicans to get to grips with a tradition that comes out of a  class-conscious culture like the Brits'.  

But navy and blues have also been used in military uniforms throughout the world, and military inspirations are at the top of what has been driving menswear for a while.

The no-navy pants thing is mostly a SF obsession. You see countless rakish dudes in outfits like the ones quoted above. Light sport coats with navy trousers is a great look, when done well. This weird prejudice here needs to be shaken off because everywhere else, well-dressed people offer daily reminder that it is utterly silly. Just need to open our eyes to see them.
post #34088 of 43869

It happens here every time. Someone says "Navy trousers are often worn poorly" or "Navy trousers are tough to pull off well"

 

Suddenly everyone gets all like... 

 

"They said no one can ever wear navy trews!!!" 

 

"Stop saying it's a rule to never wear navy trousers!!!"
 

"Why all the navy trouser hate???"

 

"You guys are silly for thinking navy trousers never look good!!!"

 

Listen, no one said any of this. No one hates navy trousers. Stop conflating this into something more than it is. This topic, I think, has run its course since no one seems to be listening to one another anymore.

post #34089 of 43869
You're pretty bad at reading people's views and inferred opinions. Reading between the lines does not mean reading the white space between the lines.

It keeps being addressed because it keeps being brought up as a mistake or faux pas. People who know better have a little difficulty biting their tongue every time and letting the misinformation flow.
post #34090 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
But navy and blues have also been used in military uniforms throughout the world, and military inspirations are at the top of what has been driving menswear for a while.

The no-navy pants thing is mostly a SF obsession. You see countless rakish dudes in outfits like the ones quoted above. Light sport coats with navy trousers is a great look, when done well. This weird prejudice here needs to be shaken off because everywhere else, well-dressed people offer daily reminder that it is utterly silly. Just need to open our eyes to see them.

good observation-  I've exhausted my knowledge at this point :satisfied: ... there's more to it imo than  SF blindness 

post #34091 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

It keeps being addressed because it keeps being brought up as a mistake or faux pas.

No it doesn't. You are completely misreading the conversation thus far. If you keep insisting that that is what people are saying even when they tell you specifically that it is not, I don't know what else to tell you.
post #34092 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

No it doesn't. You are completely misreading the conversation thus far. If you keep insisting that that is what people are saying even when they tell you specifically that it is not, I don't know what else to tell you.

Please step back from the keyboard for a minute and scroll up to re-read the initial statement from Colco to belkit, then the tag-teaming you participated in, with that sweet condescending tone towards belkit that he still has much to learn. There's no misreading here.

I'm sure that somehow you guys think you're trying to help (just like the guys who repost the "vaccines will give you autism if you eat gluten" Facebook posts) but I'm happy to step in and give my rebuke. And you're right that this is not a new topic.
post #34093 of 43869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Please step back from the keyboard for a minute and scroll up to re-read the initial statement from Colco to belkit, then the tag-teaming you participated in, with that sweet condescending tone towards belkit that he still has much to learn. There's no misunderstanding here.

then direct your comments to him. I never said any of the things you were talking about, nor did sander nor did EE FV, Nor did pliny. Your generalizing is as absurd as claiming that maybe trousers can never look good. Misdirected rebukes only make you look foolish.
post #34094 of 43869
This is not about you! Why do you feel the need to go defensive and shoot down dissenting posts as if they were attacks on you (see back and forth with ericgereghty as well). This conversation is not about you. Please allow people to post their views without constantly putting yourself in the middle.
post #34095 of 43869
If a navy jacket + grey trousers is a solid staple combo, why not the reverse?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)