or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2236

post #33526 of 44046
Please accept my apologies for the thread plug here, I do think it is worthy though if for nothing else to spread good news.

A massive thank you to all those helping out. In particular @TexJake for the latest success. Please spread the word to both those that would like to donate and those that may benefit.

Ragged Trousered Philanthropists

Thanks again, carry on
post #33527 of 44046
@Citan1145

Very clean. Nice knot.
post #33528 of 44046

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

 

You simply can't fail at dimples, can you? Although I'm wondering wether being good or not at "dimpling" (is that even a word?) has something to do with tie quality as well. Some cheap department store ties, no matter how many tries, always yield poor results. 

 

 

Definitively not loving the tie here, sorry! You will probably get comments on why a light blue shirt would be better than a white one, alas. 

Yes, I actually agree on the tie. I've been on the fence about dropping it from the rotation, so this gives me the confirmation I needed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillingToLearn View Post

White shirt is the right choice with that tie, I beleive. SF will likely be picky about that tie, but the rig is fundamentally sound to my eye, personal preferences aside on the tie. Very solid batch of posts @TheoProf

Thanks @WillingToLearn

I agree that white is the best option for this one. I also like wearing white shirts on occasion. Some days you just feel like being a little more austere. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anden View Post
 

Thanks for the advice! I was in a hurry this morning, and I have real trouble finding someone to take a picture of me. I'll post a full fit pic with window light below. (Note: It looks like there is some discoloration on the front of the jacket that doesn't exist in real life. I must need to clean the lens)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

@TheoProf, it's nice to see another trad inspired poster. I haven't seen an actual J Press suit in a while. By the by, you seem to have some fit issues going on. Do you have your clothes tailored?

I'm glad you brought up the fit issue. No, I haven't had this suit tailored. Part of the problem has been time (I'm a full time professor trying to finish my PhD), and the other problem is access to a competent tailor. I'm close enough to Columbus though so if anyone has anybody they would recommend, I'm all ears. :) I do have an old shoulder injury (AC separation) that slightly affects the fit on my right side. It's very subtle, but I do think it causes a slight dimple in my jackets.

 

Lastly, I'm very interested in classic menswear and have picked up a lot insights over the years. I started posting because I think I've gone as far as I can judging by my own eye. Any specific insights as to fit would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Again, remember the discoloration in the pic below is some sort of weird lighting/lens problem. I can assure you that it doesn't exist IRL. 

 

 

Cheers,

Ben

post #33529 of 44046

Also, in an effort to atone for my shiny tie today, I'll post a pic from this past summer. It's still a white shirt, but what goes better with a blue and white seersucker jacket than a white shirt?

 

PRL jacket

Rooster Ruffler tie

 

 

post #33530 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoProf View Post
 

I'm glad you brought up the fit issue. No, I haven't had this suit tailored. Part of the problem has been time (I'm a full time professor trying to finish my PhD), and the other problem is access to a competent tailor.

 

That's certainly very understandable. Finding the right tailor is often a process that takes time, trial and error, and at least a bit of money. It is, to my mind, well worth the hassle if you can swing it. You've come to the right place if you are looking for help on the fit of your clothes however, if you solicit that then full body pics are appreciated, taken at a sufficient distance, at about chest level. Keep in mind that an immaculate fit can make even mediocre stylistic choices look nice. A bad fit can make even the best choices look bad.

 

As mentioned, I generally like your trad aesthetic. I don't mind the bright ties you've posted the last few times, although it is more difficult to make those kinds of colors work than with more subtle ones. You are keeping things simple, which puts you ahead of the game. Your shirt game could stand to be stepped up several notches. OCBD is your friend. 

post #33531 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoProf View Post
 

what goes better with a blue and white seersucker jacket than a white shirt?

 

 

If you want to go totally southern trad... pink.

post #33532 of 44046
Today

15edd74b7eca745a2000d208fea4a418.jpg

4c5fbbb487287f41a4f9b2b7286abcdc.jpg

957596238a95919e06aaebbff3aabaa5.jpg
post #33533 of 44046
Today



post #33534 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

If you want to go totally southern trad... pink.


Agreed! That's a great call but probably not with this particular tie. 

post #33535 of 44046

Definitely not.

post #33536 of 44046

Hello gents. Today I'm wearing a vintage tie by Kenzo. It's hard to notice on the pics, but the flowers in the tie include a light blue spot in their center.

I tried several PS but they all seemed to be too much in this outfit.

 

 

 

 

post #33537 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Not picking on anyone for it, but is it just me or are we seeing a lot of peak lapel SBs lately?

 

Yup, I'm going for one MTM too. What's wrong with it?

post #33538 of 44046
Eh, been too long. Nice to see a lot of good stuff being posted though.

Yesterday.


post #33539 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCSYC View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Not picking on anyone for it, but is it just me or are we seeing a lot of peak lapel SBs lately?

 

Yup, I'm going for one MTM too. What's wrong with it?

 

Well, it's not traditional in some quarters, where it is felt that DB should be peak lapels and SB notch lapel.  Hardy Amies famously had some words to say on the subject ...

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #33540 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

That's certainly very understandable. Finding the right tailor is often a process that takes time, trial and error, and at least a bit of money. It is, to my mind, well worth the hassle if you can swing it. You've come to the right place if you are looking for help on the fit of your clothes however, if you solicit that then full body pics are appreciated, taken at a sufficient distance, at about chest level. Keep in mind that an immaculate fit can make even mediocre stylistic choices look nice. A bad fit can make even the best choices look bad.

 

As mentioned, I generally like your trad aesthetic. I don't mind the bright ties you've posted the last few times, although it is more difficult to make those kinds of colors work than with more subtle ones. You are keeping things simple, which puts you ahead of the game. Your shirt game could stand to be stepped up several notches. OCBD is your friend. 

Completely agree on the importance of fit. I'm determined to get there...eventually. 

 

Thanks, for the compliments. That's encouraging. Despite my consistency the past few days, this is out of my comfort zone. 

 

You're right on the shirt game. I tend to stick with solid light blue pinpoint or OCBD (70%) or white broadcloth or pinpoint (30%). It's a preference thing for my professional wear. I switch things up quite a bit with casual shirts (striped OCBD's, cotton twill checks and plaids) in the fall/winter (often underneath a sweater) and madras shirts or polos (of various colors) in the summer. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)