or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2174

post #32596 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintSplattered View Post

Caustic Man, may I ask what fabric that tie is? I'm not skilled at picking these things out by sight yet.


Wool.

post #32597 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

 

I am no expert; most of what I know about classic menswear I have gleaned from this forum. In that sense I am a secondary or perhaps even tertiary source. I therefore don't regard myself as being qualified to give harsh advice, although I will occasionally make some gentle suggestions. I suspect a number of other newer members of the SF community are hesitant in the same way.

 

However, there are still plenty of great outfits posted here on an almost daily basis. For me, the best way to learn is to look at photos, form my own opinion, check it against the thumb count, and if there's a discrepancy, ask myself why. Especially if a fit I like proves not to be popular. What failing did I miss? And do I miss that same mistake in my own efforts too?

 

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a number of different ways one can glean value from this thread.

 

You are quite right, and I think people do take value from those things. However, the advise thing was a bigger part of life here. Especially for new people. By the by, you have a good eye for what looks good whether you have a solid grounding in CM or not. You obviously have some unorthodox tastes as some of your fits display but they usually look good. I'm more of a traditionalist and more of an Americanist (Preppy/Ivy styles). You being from Australia, and being from that background, will naturally have a different look than I myself would often prefer to wear. But I can certainly appreciate your style.

post #32598 of 43842

A new (but classic) tie today. Same old tweed, flannel and oxford. 

 

No watch, texture & tie detial (Click to show)

Best,

 

DL-

post #32599 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

 

 

I am no expert; most of what I know about classic menswear I have gleaned from this forum. In that sense I am a secondary or perhaps even tertiary source. I therefore don't regard myself as being qualified to give harsh advice, although I will occasionally make some gentle suggestions. I suspect a number of other newer members of the SF community are hesitant in the same way.

 

However, there are still plenty of great outfits posted here on an almost daily basis. For me, the best way to learn is to look at photos, form my own opinion, check it against the thumb count, and if there's a discrepancy, ask myself why. Especially if a fit I like proves not to be popular. What failing did I miss? And do I miss that same mistake in my own efforts too?

 

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a number of different ways one can glean value from this thread.

 

 

I'm glad to read that. The suit was obviously well made, but it was verging on clownish. Is this client of yours a ringmaster, or a TV evangelist or something?

 

I was going to say something about your capacity for analysis, synthesis, and self-reflection attest your graduate school training and cannot be generalized to the population, but then realized, who cares? Even those who are told (repeatedly) what is wrong with their outfits continue to post shite. 

post #32600 of 43842

@DavidLane when you have such a nice Speedmaster Moonwatch, I don't understand why you have "no watch" days! :lol:

post #32601 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

@DavidLane when you have such a nice Speedmaster Moonwatch, I don't understand why you have "no watch" days! :lol:

@ShawnBC All I can say is that it is not intentional. I just forget to put it on. 

 

DL-

post #32602 of 43842
Going on thumb count is a risky way to learn, so many factors are at play apart from the actual fit. Personally the greatest added value of this thread is inspiration. I'm not here to learn what's wrong or right, but I can see what works, what I like, what doesn't work and what I don't like.
 
It would be a pity if people stopped commenting. Comments are sometimes helpful, sometimes useless, but almost always interesting. There are people in this forum who are capable of providing constructive criticism without being a dick. It's a talent that should be treasured.
post #32603 of 43842

I'll throw in a thought about what was most helpful for me, and it goes along with the idea of critique and user discussion. My biggest improvements were made by discussing theories in depth with excellent dressers. @Manton @mafoofan and many others were willing, not only to offer critiques, but to discuss the ideas behind why they did the things they did. Read "The Suit" to get an idea of what I mean. Actually understanding the principles behind pattern matching, pattern density, texture combinations, context, and of course a good dose accurate historical research, all go into making someone a fine dresser. Notice that individuality is nowhere to be found in this formula. It is far better to look like just another face in the crowd while you are learning. Once that has been established one may indulge in minor personal flourishes. 

post #32604 of 43842

Surely thumb count only proves SF likes it.

 

Frankly, I worry about anybody who makes this thread more than, at most, 60% of where they learn about style.

 

Nevertheless, I am ready to lose the photography contest this week:

 

I wore this with navy trousers. Sorry, fam.

 

I also wore this with navy trousers, but it's a suit, so...

 

I wish I had taken a decent photo of this tie. It's very pretty. Trust me.

@Caustic Man Surely another face in the crowd would be badly dressed. That said, I started from pure self-expression in a rather ignorant way, and now I know quite a lot about rules and traditions. I admit, however, that doing things the way I did only worked because I had basically unlimited sartorial capital for several years.

post #32605 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

Even those who are told (repeatedly) what is wrong with their outfits continue to post shite. 

And may the choir say 'Amen'!

One thing I've seen manifest is a new poster will post several pics, receive a load of criticism and then continue to post relentlessly - even daily - after which either:
1. The same criticism is offered day after day and the OP gets pissed off
2. Those offering criticism get bored and give up, thereafter ignoring the OP
3. Minuscule improvements by the OP are splattered with thumbs making the OP think he has 'cracked it' when in reality as you say, the same old shite continues to be displayed.

Unless such an OP is wealthy enough and astute enough to go out and buy an entirely new top level wardrobe overnight, the best course of action is to space out the posting of fits gradually as new items are acquired to reflect the gradual acquisition of knowledge. I don't see this happen very often mores the pity.
post #32606 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

 

 

@Caustic Man Surely another face in the crowd would be badly dressed.

 

This does not follow. If you want to know what it would look like to see a group of men looking mostly the same, while all being well dressed, look at pictures from an Oscars party from the 1930s.

post #32607 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post


The patch pocket seems out of place on that style of DB suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplelabel View Post

It's a patch pocket hopsack blazer, not a suit smile.gif

That patch pocket looks out of place with those lapels.
post #32608 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLane View Post

@ShawnBC
 All I can say is that it is not intentional. I just forget to put it on. 
.

Clearly you don't need it. Send it to me posthaste.
post #32609 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post



That patch pocket looks out of place with those lapels.

 

Now that's just being picky! 

post #32610 of 43842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

This does not follow. If you want to know what it would look like to see a group of men looking mostly the same, while all being well dressed, look at pictures from an Oscars party from the 1930s.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
But, really, I assumed you meant a contemporary crowd, where getting the ABCs of tailoring "right" is a pretty distinctive look – given that current trends in tailored clothes are far from classic, and far from flattering on many people.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)