or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2056

post #30826 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

If so, would you be willing to say which fabric? 


Gladly: http://custom.luxire.com/products/blue-university-stripes-oxford
post #30827 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

If so, would you be willing to say which fabric? 


Gladly: http://custom.luxire.com/products/blue-university-stripes-oxford

 

Wonderful!  Thanks.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #30828 of 43970
Reminds me that I need to get another one. Damn you. smile.gif
post #30829 of 43970
Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?
post #30830 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarDubaibanker View Post

Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?

In my mind, they can come off very costumey, outside of black tie settings...

post #30831 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarDubaibanker View Post

Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?

 

To be honest, I don’t see many in real life, though that probably depends on where you live and your profession.

 

Two regular posters to this thread who come to mind as wearing them from time to time are @An Acute Style and @clarinetplayer .

 

EDIT:  Can't believe I almost forgot @upr_crust

 

No doubt there are others.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #30832 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

Wednesday of a short week. I've paired one of my quietest suits with one of my blingiest pairs of cufflinks - just because . . .

Suit - BB
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - BBGF
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris
Overcoat - Adolfo
Hat - Selentino
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason, London Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)











I love the bright, sharp blue in this tie.
post #30833 of 43970


From Christmas morn
post #30834 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarDubaibanker View Post

Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

In my mind, they can come off very costumey, outside of black tie settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

To be honest, I don’t see many in real life, though that probably depends on where you live and your profession.

The association in people's minds of bow ties with old-time professors in academe is probably why they are perceived as being "costumey" - they, for the most part, have fallen out of favor with the general public. Also, many (including myself, until fairly recently) have a mental block about how to properly tie a bow tie - a four-in-hand is easier to learn to tie than is a bow tie, and these days, there are great swathes of the general public who have never been taught how to tie a four-in-hand either.
Edited by upr_crust - 12/30/15 at 1:51pm
post #30835 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Post Christmas shopping. :

 

 

 

 

Excess fabric in the back causing bunching; really bad shoulder divot; perhaps a bit too much waist suppression but hard to tell at this angle.   Also not enough contrast; perhaps a lighter but strongly patterned herringbone?

 

EDIT:  Pixelated the face.  Dogs can be sensitive about their public images.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac (:D)


Edited by Academic2 - 12/30/15 at 1:40pm
post #30836 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

Oh, I think there are, but one needs to be clear about the meaning of 'principle' in different contexts.  I have in mind, for example, the various optical illusions that have been the foundation of tailoring for a very long time, like the effect of buttoning point on the apparent height of the wearer, the effect of roped shoulders on perceived shoulder width, and so forth.  These are pretty objective considerations since they’re rooted in optics and psychology, which is to say they’re not mere social constructions.

Among those things which are social constructions, some I agree are wholly arbitrary (I can’t think of any good reason why black grenadine ties should look funereal, say) while some are a consequence of function (action backs evolved to allow free motion of the arms when engaged in outdoor sports like shooting, and thus would be perceived by most of us as odd in a three piece pinstripe business suit intended for office wear) and some a convention based on historical happenstance (there's nothing intrinsically horsey about Tattersal, but at this point in history the association is there because of its origin).    And there are arguably rational grounds for talking about seasonal and other sorts of consistencies too (we’d all agree that wearing a winter overcoat up top and Bermuda shorts and sandals below would look strange because of the seasonal dissonance; similarly, I think, for at least some aspects of the city/country continuum). 

Cheers,

Ac

Dont think we disagree to a large extent. And I would certainly welcome comments along those lines (rather than, say, "burn that shirt"!). But I would dispute that there are objective considerations. Certainly menswear tailoring is built around some of those, but they change with times and fashion as well. Look at the very long jackets of the 20s, the low button stance of the 70s or the exaggerated shoulders of the 80s. Those trends influenced traditional menswear tailoring as well. Everybody who has thrifted a 70s suit know that you need a trip to the tailor before you can wear it. I'm sure that the unstructured jackets with a relatively high buttoning that we have seen so much for the last 8-10 years will be a time marker in the future.

That's why it is so much more helpful, not to mention plain civilised, to see those in the forum who post comment along the lines of "I think that works/does not work on you and here are some reasons why...", rather than comments that basically says that you are wrong and should learn to do right.

Edited by DiplomaticTies - 12/30/15 at 2:22pm
post #30837 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post


Excess fabric in the back causing bunching; really bad shoulder divot; perhaps a bit too much waist suppression but hard to tell at this angle.   Also not enough contrast; perhaps a lighter but strongly patterned herringbone?

Cheers,

Ac (biggrin.gif )

Yes, it's a few sizes too big, but she's got a problematic body type (which she is very aware of thank you). She's been thinking about going bespoke, but I have urged her to get the basics right before pulling the trigger.
post #30838 of 43970
A cold & blustery day.


Sleeves are a touch long, but eh...
Edited by UrbanComposition - 12/30/15 at 5:19pm
post #30839 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post

A cold & blustery day. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sleeves are a touch long, but eh...

Stunning outfit, mate. I really, really like it. Long sleeves and all! :fonz:

post #30840 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hi guys, warm here


deets (Click to show)





CB for H Lesser (Kent Wang)  Kamakura, TMLewin, Rubinacci, Berg & Berg, Howard Yount, Edward Green
Fully awesome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)